flygirl1

More bad kitty news

My cat Katana got spayed last Thursday and when I checked on her this morning she looked like she had clear liquid and blood coming out of her incision. I rushed her to the vet and they are going to have to do emergency surgery on her. They said she had a major infection and was not in good shape. They told me if I hadn't caught it when I did she might not have made it. The rough estimate is 1300$ not including all the time she needs to stay in the hospital maybe as much as 4 days or more. So much for my trip to Australia oh well she is so much more important to me than anything else I could use that money for. I hope she is ok. I don't know what I would do if I lost her:(:(:(
Fly like a girl

My cat Katana got spayed last Thursday and when I checked on her this morning she looked like she had clear liquid and blood coming out of her incision. I rushed her to the vet and they are going to have to do emergency surgery on her. They said she had a major infection and was not in good shape. They told me if I hadn't caught it when I did she might not have made it. The rough estimate is 1300$ not including all the time she needs to stay in the hospital maybe as much as 4 days or more. So much for my trip to Australia oh well she is so much more important to me than anything else I could use that money for. I hope she is ok. I don't know what I would do if I lost her:(:(:(

Some thing I don't get, cat spayed Thursday today is Monday needs emergency surgery for major infection an the vet is going to charge extra, I'd sue the moron

Hope the little lady makes it ok.

Gone fishing

Some thing I don't get, cat spayed Thursday today is Monday needs emergency surgery for major infection an the vet is going to charge extra, I'd sue the moron

I love my little cat, but I would be on my way to Australia.......[:/]

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

I think infection is just one of those risks you take with surgery. I don't really think it's the vets fault. Katana wouldn't keep her cone collar on over night so she probably licked it or something. Or maybe she did some damage to the internal stitches with all the thrashing she was doing. I'm not sure I didn't get a chance to talk to the vet a lot about it since she wanted to get to treating her right away but, I'll get more details when I go to transfer her to the emergency hospital that she will need to stay at over night. My vet said they have people to monitor her there all night incase she has any problems.

Thanks for wishing her well. This is a tough time for us right now:(
Fly like a girl

I love my little cat, but I would be on my way to Australia.......[:/]

I can always go to australia another year but, I could never replace my kitty. She is a part of my family and I will do everything I can to get her well again.

I'm off to go move her now[:/]
Fly like a girl

That's terrible. Best wishes. The vet really should consider taking on some or all of the cost. If there is an internal infection, it was probably caused by unclean conditions during surgery.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

So sorry to hear this. It's agonizing when they're sick.

My kitty Sophie had an allergic reaction and inflammation due to the sutures they used after her spay (oddly enough called 'cat gut' sutures). She had a huge lump along her incision line. She was able to get away with oral antibiotics at home though. It took a while for the incision to heal and flatten out, but it eventually did. It wasn't the vet's fault - it happens.

I'm sure your Katana will pull through - sending kitty prayers up!
"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

So sorry to hear this. It's agonizing when they're sick.

My kitty Sophie had an allergic reaction and inflammation due to the sutures they used after her spay (oddly enough called 'cat gut' sutures). She had a huge lump along her incision line. She was able to get away with oral antibiotics at home though. It took a while for the incision to heal and flatten out, but it eventually did. It wasn't the vet's fault - it happens.

I'm sure your Katana will pull through - sending kitty prayers up!

When my kitten got spayed she had a bump under where her sutures were but I just assumed it was just excess scar tissue and left it alone. She seemed ok. Now its been a few years and the bump is gone. *shrug*
Poetry don't work on whores.

Not to nitpick:)But if your signature line is referring to The Doors' Texas Radio and the Big Beat, the lyrics are actually:

Some call it heavenly in its brilliance
Others, mean and rueful of the western dream:P

Sorry, just happen to be a huge fan of Jim Morrison!

Blue skies to all... Tony Sharoian

Think about my last words...They might be what I just said!!!

That's terrible. Best wishes. The vet really should consider taking on some or all of the cost. If there is an internal infection, it was probably caused by unclean conditions during surgery.

Bull shit! I'm amazed at how frickin' sue happy people are.

Surgical instruments are cleaned and sterilized. The surgery room is sanitized and as sterile as is physically possible. The vet garbs themselves in sterile gowns as well as sterile gloves. The vet tech/assistant is in sterile garb as well.

Having been witness to many surgeries and the animals that come in after surgery for issues such as flygirl1 mentioned, 9 times out of 10 it has to do with what the animal is doing when mom/dad are not looking - i.e. licking at the sutures and allowing a slight opening - which is just enough for the animal to get ill.

Flygirl1, my best to your kitty. I hope she pulls through. I've seen various animals come in with situations similar to yours and they have done well after a day or so of intense treatment. The bill may/will be expensive but health care unfortunately is. I wish you many years of happiness with your kitty. :)
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Sorry to hear about your kitty. My good buddy Bodhisattva died a couple of years ago of cancer. Felt like losing a brother. I know I'll be just as sad when the time comes for Charlemagne to go. He's a good little guy and is sending your girl a vibe.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young

Thanks for all the good vibes and thoughts everyone and freethefly's kitty! I'm sorry to here about the loss of Bodhisattva:(

I just got back from taking Katana to the emergency animal clinic for the night. like what ImGunnaJump said happened to her kitty they think she had a bad ilergic reaction to her internal sutures. Probably made worse by all her thrashing trying to get out of her collar.

Thanks for the reassurence ladyskydiver. It's good to hear that she has a good chance of recovering. The vets were swamped with emergencies so they didn't have a lot of time to talk but, they said her infection was serious and she might not have had much time left if I hadn't brought her in right away. I feel so horrible for not noticing it sooner. I kept her created since her surgery and took her out to check her many times every day and she always looked ok. She was eating, drinking and playing like normal as well. The bills will deplete my vacation fund but, it comes with the responsibility of having a pet. I'm just glad I had been saving that money and had it there when I needed it. Australia will always be there in the future. I just really want my baby home soon:(

Give Cheerio a hug for me Brit.

Fly like a girl

Oh, I'm glad to hear it's that. It's something they can manage pretty easily

Sophie acted totally fine too - eating/drinking normally. You wouldn't have guessed she had a problem until you looked at her belly.

I didn't start looking bad until day 4 I think. I was so nervous that the puffiness and big lump was due to her jumping. I tried to keep her contained, but I turned my head away for a second and she'd jump up into the window sill...I thought she had ripped something internally and had developed a hernia.

I was able to get her to the vet the next morning and she was able to tell right away it wasn't a hernia. She had the practice owner, who's been a vet for 35 yrs., come look at her too and he said the same: suture reaction.

So like I said, antibiotics and I watched her but she was fine. The vet said the bump would flatten and heal over time and it did - it took a good month and a half, but went totally away.

I'm sure the same will happen for Katanna.;):)

"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

Thanks. It was 4 since Katanas spay that I noticed anything unusual also. I had no idea it could get so bad so fast. They said she has a really god chance of making it now that she made it through the night:)
She is in surgery right now to clean out the pockets of infection, restitch the internal stitches she popped out and to replace them with another material?. I think they ore going to replace them with a new material anyway but, I'm not exactly sure. I'm just assuming that since they said she was elergic to the original ones and they had to replace some of them. I for got to ask if they use a different material or not any vets out there know? I'll be sure to ask when they call to let me know her surgery is over.

They said she has to stay in the hospital for 3 more days because she is such a tiny kitty(only 4 pounds at 7 months) and the infection was so bad they want to keep an eye on her but, she looks like she is through the worst of it now:)
I'm glad Sophie is ok. I'm sorry she had a tough time too.

Fly like a girl

Yes, there are different types of material that are used for stitches. And since she was allergic to the first type, they will use a different one. :)
Glad to hear that the vet says she's over the worst of it. :)

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

My kitty was a stray that I picked up. She was 8 months, 4.5 pounds and pregnant with four kittens when I took her to the vet. Because they delivered the kittens for her (they bottle fed them for adoption), it made her spay a little more difficult. The vet used kitty kat glue on her incision. She had a slight allergic reaction to it, so she did have to go back, but she pulled through it all well. She's definitely a fighter. Katana will be fine. :)

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself