LisaH

Day 5 without a cigarette

CONGRATS LISA!!!!

YOU CAN DO IT! KEEP GOING!!!

Remember we're all here cheering you on!!!
:)

Thank you everyone!! :)
I have a horrible sore throat and I'm coughing like crazy. Wooohooo day 6 is about to begin. B|
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Hey Lisa, here's some more motivation, I guess, for ya...if you haven't seen this.

This is for anyone else too!!

Short-term & Long-term benefits of Quitting Smoking

Because of the psychological hooks involved in smoking, use anything you believe can help you. It can be a difficult war to stop smoking. Use all the weapons and tools you feel you need. Nicotine substitutes and the medicine Zyban can be very useful. The use of any of them with this program is fine. If you feel it can be helpful.

When you stop smoking, here are the benefits that take effect almost immediately.

20 minutes after quitting: Your blood pressure drops to a level close to that before the last cigarette. The temperature of your hands and feel increases to normal.

8 hours after quitting: The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal and oxygen levels increase.

24 hours after quitting: Your chances of a heart attack decrease.

48 hours after quitting: Your nerve endings begin regrowth and your sense of taste and smell begin to return.

2 weeks to 3 months after quitting: Your circulation improves and your lung function increases up to 30%.

1 to 9 months after quitting: Coughing, sinus congestions, fatigue, and shortness of breath decreases; cilia (tiny hair like structures that move mucus out of the lungs) regain normal function in the lungs, increasing the ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs and reduce infection.

1 year after quitting: The excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's.

5 years after quitting: Your stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker 5-15 years after quitting.

10 years after quitting: The lung cancer death rate is about half that of a continuing smoker's. The risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas decreases.
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Congratulations!

And if you need to go break something, take a 6-pack of empty bottles and toss them against the wall in a place where there are tall bushes up against the wall. Chances of injury go way down that way. Or you can put a dropcloth down first.

But that's awesome. I know my ex-husband said that the physical part got easier after a week, and you only have a couple of days to get there! You're way more than halfway to that week!

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Congratulations!

And if you need to go break something, take a 6-pack of empty bottles and toss them against the wall in a place where there are tall bushes up against the wall. Chances of injury go way down that way. Or you can put a dropcloth down first.

But that's awesome. I know my ex-husband said that the physical part got easier after a week, and you only have a couple of days to get there! You're way more than halfway to that week!

Wendy W.

I've already taken my "ugly dishes" and smashed them into the trash bin. :D

That sound is music to grumpy ears.

Thanks Wendy. :)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

How long does it take before your system is totally clear of the nicotine

How long, after you quit, does nicotine stay in the bloodstream?

Medically the nicotine is gone in 72 to 96 hours unless you receive it from second-hand smoke such as bars, closed rooms, etc.
It will take your body much long to get over the effects of long term nicotine addiction but the benefits begin immediately: Carbon Monoxide levels begin dropping, Blood pressure drops.
Short term you may experience a sore throat but this will clear up shortly.
See http://www.smokehelp.org/html/why_.html

I know people who have stopped smoking and their pores still reek of the odor, as does their house, walls, furniture and auto. It seems to take a total cleansing process to really get it out of the system, if not physically then atleast psychologically.

I know people who have stopped smoking and their pores still reek of the odor, as does their house, walls, furniture and auto. It seems to take a total cleansing process to really get it out of the system, if not physically then atleast psychologically.

Hence my obsessive house cleaning right now. :P

I never smoked in the house, but it still smells disgusting in here.

Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

My exhusband didn't "smoke in the house" either however all of his clothes and his pores brought the odor inside the house even if he didn't physically smoke inside.

I had allergies back then. Ever since I've been away from living with a smoker, my allergies have gone away totally.

Hey, I was just thinking about cheap labor. Where did YOUR mind go?:P

Day 6 is slowly leaving. Way to go, babe!

Why don't you just go to the police station in a red clown suit and let everybody know what we're doing here?

I have a phobia for moobs. Thanks, youknowwhoyouare.

I'm on day 15 and still have cravings. I know all the health risks, but that doesn't seem to be a big deterent for me. What I keep telling myself is one puff and I'm starting over, and you know how hard the first few days are. That's what has kept me from lighting up. Good Luck!!!

I'm on day 15 and still have cravings. I know all the health risks, but that doesn't seem to be a big deterent for me. What I keep telling myself is one puff and I'm starting over, and you know how hard the first few days are. That's what has kept me from lighting up. Good Luck!!!

Congrats!!

Good luck to you too! No "one puff." :)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Much like heroin, most people never quite recover from cigarette addiction. Some people may be clean for years, decades, sometimes forever, but the craving can last a long time, and more importantly, relapses are frequent.

9 weeks and counting, but I had "extra" motivation to help...

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Much like heroin, most people never quite recover from cigarette addiction. Some people may be clean for years, decades, sometimes forever, but the craving can last a long time, and more importantly, relapses are frequent.

9 weeks and counting, but I had "extra" motivation to help...

Congrats on 9 weeks! :)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo