sundevil777

Help Please - Computer Experts - can you tell from where (at least what continent) an email was sent?

I suppose the information in the header can give up this type of clue. Also, is it possible to determine this from Instant Messenger conversations on yahoo?

I want to confirm that someone I've been conversing with is for real, and it would help If I knew that an email was really from the UK, and not from Nigeria or something like that. Does the ability to "trace" change if it is an email sent from a Yahoo mail account?

It isn't about the traditional Nigerian money scams, just a girl, She's from California, but says she's in London now, I want to know if she really is in the UK.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Cliff
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

(not totally comfortable with why you're after this info. Sorry.)

She's asking me to help her with a small amount of money, so that she can supposedly FedEx a letter to the States. I have reasons to doubt that she is what she says she is. No more mysterious than that.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The mail headers are forgeable, but if she's not technically savvy they can tell you. Check the Received: lines in the header. The bottom-most one may tell you the IP address & hostname of the machine that sent the email to Yahoo's SMTP server.

Is there some utility to then plug those numbers/names into that can then tell me a general location?

The mail headers are forgeable, but if she's not technically savvy they can tell you. Check the Received: lines in the header. The bottom-most one may tell you the IP address & hostname of the machine that sent the email to Yahoo's SMTP server.

Is there some utility to then plug those numbers/names into that can then tell me a general location?

Just put the IP in the search box at this URL:

http://www.ripe.net/whois

If it's from an European network you'll get all the info that is publicly available if it's from somewhere else you'll at least get a referral to the appropriate registry. Just follow the trail.
Cheers,

Vale

Another tool is geoiptool.com

I'd avoid any money issues unless youv'e met the person in real life before, scammers have been getting really good about using third parties as shipping addresses to have scammed goods sent to them only to have you send them the money or goods overseas. Dateline followed on where the scammer was on a dating website and started up a conversation with a guy there and then used him as a drop point for items purchased with stolen credit cards and fake money orders.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Headers are irrelevant in this case.

If she is sending the messge using yahoo webmail, the received header will only contain the IP address of the yahoo mail server. It wont list the computer she is actually connecting from via her web browser.
__

My mighty steed

Headers are irrelevant in this case.

If she is sending the messge using yahoo webmail, the received header will only contain the IP address of the yahoo mail server. It wont list the computer she is actually connecting from via her web browser.

I'm no expert on this stuff, but the GeoIP tool that Phreezone provided allowed me to check a 'received IP' that showed a location (from a yahoo email account message) in GABON AFRICA for a supposed girl/probably bastard asshole guy that supposedly was in Indiana. So, fortunately it does seem to work, even for yahoo. I suppose a more sophisticated scammer would be able to hide their location better. Not the same person I wrote about originally, but I expect the same result when I get a message from that one.

Thanks so much guys.

I wish I could reach out and exact revenge. Hopefully, instant karma (or even delayed karma) is gonna get them.

I would at least try to arrange sex for money thay way you have a smile on your face when you get screwed

:D

OK, besides busting them, are there any other ideas on how to fuck with these assholes. Even if it is just wasting their time in a serious way? I want to at least seriously inconvenience them. Perhaps I should tell them I've wired money to them, so that they at least have to send somebody out to try and get it, then when they write back saying it wasn't there, send a message back with some bullshit explanation and have them go back again and again?

I'm completely open to suggestions.

Thanks

The one supposedly in London sent a note back to me. The IP trace showed a location in the UK. So, I've told her that I have friends in London that can meet up with her and help her out. We'll see if she agrees or if there is some excuse. If she does agree, I know I'll be able to get someone in London to attempt the meeting, because the pics of her are such dynamite - no way will there not be some guy willing to go see if it is really her. :ph34r:

Maybe she's for real, one in a million chance.

OK, besides busting them, are there any other ideas on how to fuck with these assholes. Even if it is just wasting their time in a serious way? I want to at least seriously inconvenience them. Perhaps I should tell them I've wired money to them, so that they at least have to send somebody out to try and get it, then when they write back saying it wasn't there, send a message back with some bullshit explanation and have them go back again and again?

I'm completely open to suggestions.

Thanks

Send a box of rocks C.O.D, or horse shit if your sense of humor is inclined that way;)

The one supposedly in London sent a note back to me. The IP trace showed a location in the UK. So, I've told her that I have friends in London that can meet up with her and help her out. We'll see if she agrees or if there is some excuse. If she does agree, I know I'll be able to get someone in London to attempt the meeting, because the pics of her are such dynamite - no way will there not be some guy willing to go see if it is really her. :ph34r:

Maybe she's for real, one in a million chance.

Methinks the little head is doing the thinking.....;)

Murray

Send a box of rocks C.O.D, or horse shit if your sense of humor is inclined that wayWink

Nice one! Things can still be sent COD, can't they. I don't think she'll give me an address, though.

She is saying that meeting up with someone is too scary, even if she met them inside of a FedEx office and the friend of mine didn't even know that she had something valuable to send. Ya, right!:S Fortunately I'm not THAT stupid.

There is software available for free that track isp's
You might even want to read this;
http://pctech.invisibill.net/emailsource.html

If you have her "picture" you can also compare it at scammer alert sites as many scammers lift photos from modeling sites to use in profiles.
"...And once you're gone, you can't come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black."
Neil Young