tattooo

What kind of Altimeter is this?

I just bought a used altimeter and didn't get the name of it. It doesn't have any kind of name except "Ro" under x1000. Does anyone have any idea? It's analog.

That doesn't help much, post a picture.:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

It doesn't have any kind of name except "Ro" under x1000

It's an original Rolex Oyster Diving watch, not an altimeter! J/K Chuck! B|

I didn't know that Oysters wore a watch when diving. Learn something new every day.:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I just bought a used altimeter and didn't get the name of it. It doesn't have any kind of name except "Ro" under x1000. Does anyone have any idea? It's analog.

I have one of them also. I don't know the mfg name, there are no other indications at all of a name or symbol or anything on the case. I bought mine in the late '80s, they were very cheap, but mine has survived abuse and never a problem.

No camera at the moment, or I would post a pic...
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I just bought a used altimeter and didn't get the name of it. It doesn't have any kind of name except "Ro" under x1000. Does anyone have any idea?

That doesn't sound like a well-researched and informed consumer choice, for something upon which your life may depend...

That doesn't sound like a well-researched and informed consumer choice, for something upon which your life may depend...

You'd better not ever think of a stinkin' altimeter as a device "upon which your life may depend". It is an accessory, a gadget, for SECONDARY reference only. Please do not put the message out there for all these newer jumpers that they DEPEND on their altimeter for anything.

You'd better not ever think of a stinkin' altimeter as a device "upon which your life may depend". It is an accessory, a gadget, for SECONDARY reference only. Please do not put the message out there for all these newer jumpers that they DEPEND on their altimeter for anything.

How do you gain the ability to be altitude aware without using your altimeter?

Did you see the word "may" in my statement?

Various visual cues can give you an altitude reference,eg. noting the altitude of the cloudbase on the climb :) ,the sight of the 2-way that exited before you deploying at your level :$ , or using nearby mountains as a level reference.

If you are very familiar with a particular DZ you will build a mental image of what the ground should look like at pull height - which can be surprisingly accurate with practice. This can cause problems when visiting a different DZ obviously. Also one should be aware that varying atmospheric conditions (low level haze, the angle of sunlight at different times of year/day,the visability on a frosty winters day) can all influence your dept perception.

In short, your altimeter is a very good reference that you should use as a back up to using your eyes. Altimeter needles have been known to stick or over/under read from time to time and realising that there is a problem rather than just being trusting your life to it is a nice skill to have.