CSpenceFLY

Reguarding the Dublin Boogie

I'm not trying to go back but I refuse to leave having these jackasses making the skydivers look bad

Have you considered drafting a press release in reply to the articles in the paper, addressing the inaccuracies ?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

88 posts and I can't believe the Thread Title Spelling Police haven't busted you.

Oh wait....the doughnut/donut shop is still open.
:D:D

Now that I mentioned it...you're welcome.
:D:D:P

Andy, Is this the best you can contribute to this thread? I'll tell you what, you build an event half the size of the Dublin Boogie and I'll give you some slack when you type something in haste and don't use spell check.

You mean like this?? I am a dumbass but not all the time.:D

Let the page load.

http://www.13wmaz.com/

no Chirs not like that, that article makes the "group" seem petty

This group has been offended by this and said,' well, we just won't come back. You know, if you're not gonna let us have alcohol, we're not coming back

What i mean is write a letter explaining all the good that the boogie has brought over the 4 years, and address the things like "family friendly" and "drunken brawls" etc..
And eplxain that the authorities were made aware that alcohol would be there from the outset.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

By support...I take it you mean financial and not participant numbers?

I can only imagine the numbers you are dealing with putting something on...

In general round figures, what would you estimate the cost / benefit to a community that might be interested in assisting?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

No by support I mean fucking help! People that would sho up and help make it happen. People like The_Don come to mind. If it were not for him this think would not have lasted as long as it has.

Basically for the last couple of years I have thrown a 60 thousand dollar party. I have no idea as to what the local revenues would be. That's not what it was about for me.

You mean like this??

I would like to thank the people of Dublin for a warm welcome and great hospitality they have shown the Skydivers over the past 4 years. As one of the partisipants in this event, Dublin has always been my favorite event of the year. This event had gained worldwide attention and attracted Skydivers from far away as Scotland, Australia, South Africa and England. Skydivers from all over the United States also came year after year to participate. We hope the people of Dublin and the thousands of spectators that came out every year have enjoyed watching the jumps as much as we enjoyed doing them.

Sadly, We will not return this year due to the restrictions placed on the event by the City Council. Most of the Skydivers camp on the airport property for the duration of the event and we have been told that we would no longer be allowed to have a beer at the end of the day of Jumping. While this may seem like a small thing to non-jumpers, most skydiving traditions involve having a beer together after the last load has taken off at the end of the day. If we are not allowed to socialize and celebrate together at the end of the day, the skydivers simply will not come.

After last year’s tragic accident that took the lives of two of our own, the rules changed. Alcohol played no part in that accident at all. The problem started when we did as tradition calls and held out a toast in honor of our fallen brothers. It was then and only then that the officials decided that we could not have alcohol. In the past 4 years, there has never been a problem with any of this. At the end of each day of Jumping, The skydivers would gather together by a bonfire to share stories of the day’s jumps and share a few drinks in brotherhood and camaraderie. There were never any problems with this in the past. No Drunken Brawls, No Public Drunkenness, No Problems of any sort at all in the entire four year history of the event. Not having alcohol during the day when families are present is not a problem and has never been an issue. It is after the day is done and the skydivers gather that is the issue. This has always been a family friendly event.

Each year hundreds of Skydivers from all over would pay all their own expenses, pay registration fees to cover the costs of bringing in all the planes and pay for each and every jump they did out of their own pockets. This event cost the city almost nothing and brought hundreds of people to town every year. These skydivers are not paid or subsidized in any way by the city. Most used their hard-earned vacation time and spent their own money to come to Dublin and make this event happen.

All the skydivers I know are very sad we will not be able to return this year. Dublin had become our spring meeting place and the event that really kicked off the Skydiving season for everyone. Dublin is a wonderful town that will always hold a special place in the skydivers hearts that had the opportunity of attending that event. Thank you all for all the great memories and hospitality.

That was the first Draft of what I sent to the Dublin paper this morning, The final that I sent was worded a little dirfferently but that is on my Computer and work and I dont have it here. It was basically the same.

I see this booze situation revolving around the differences between legal, illegal, and 'not legal'.

Legal is OK.
Illegal is, well, illegal

'Not legal' is the grey area where we operated for four years. Yes, booze is not allowed on the county airport property but it was tolerated since it wasn't a problem. It still isn't a problem but since we got the microscope put on us everyone is now into political CYA mode. Local pilots who throw a few beers in a cooler and head to the t-hangars to spruce up their airplanes aren't legal either as long as they aren't flying.

Similarly, frontal nudity is illegal in New Orleans but becomes 'not legal' during Mardi Gras as long as it isn't a problem. Flash for some beads and your OK, hang out on a fire escape flashing and collect a crowd under you the cops will shut you down (since you're now causing a problem), drop your drawers you go to jail.

Crack down on it entirely and Mardi Gras will dwindle and cease to exist (Hell, I can go to a bar and watch a parade here) since that has become a lynchpin of Mardi Gras. Likewise, chumming it up with some frosties after sunset has been so ingrained in our culture that there isn't much point without it.

But we're now into politics and what's done is done. That guy that owns the package store up the road isn't too happy I'm sure.

No by support I mean fucking help! People that would sho up and help make it happen. People like The_Don come to mind. If it were not for him this think would not have lasted as long as it has.

Basically for the last couple of years I have thrown a 60 thousand dollar party. I have no idea as to what the local revenues would be. That's not what it was about for me.

You ARE a masochist! ;) I LOVE that in an organizer!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

here is your answer

COURTLAND AL.
KZ LAWRENCE INDUSTRIAL AIRPORT

Alabama?

That place scares me.

Chuckles,,, not WHAT scares you about Alabama? LLLL, look what happened in Georgia?

Lets compromise-- Courtland is good, but maybe Mike Igos place in MISSISSIPPI would be the ticket. H'es finally got a place away from the police harrassment. Lets puck with Mike and go down to see him in force. hehehehhehe
Its a good day to LIVE, why puck up a good thing.

There is no reply in aad section for. " hell no i would not put an AAD on my back"

Have you considered drafting a press release in reply to the articles in the paper, addressing the inaccuracies ?

I did - though, rather than addressing inaccuracies, I pointed out inconsistencies of their enforcement. To the local newspaper editorial board, I sent this last night. The prompt response from the newspaper (recommended by the receiver for publication) has been posted by me earlier already, though now that I think about it, it seems that this will somehow be used by them to spin more ammunition against the local Redneck Games rather than toward their unfounded decision against the skydiving event.
------------------------------------------------------------

I was earlier made aware of Dublin's decision to ban alcohol at the annual skydiving event which has been held at your airport for the past four years. Since I am certain that by your reading this you are aware of (and as I understand it, applaud) this decision, which I understand is meant to uphold your community's fine tradition of allowing only family-friendly attractions, I would like to call to your attention to another of Dublin's notable events: The Annual Summer Redneck Games.

Upon viewing the website and description for the aforementioned "family-friendly" venue, you can imagine my surprise when I am presented with, among others, the following examples of dignity and pride purporting to be representation of your community:

-A scantily clad female being pinned in the mud by a large man, captioned "Never Dropped her Ciggarette(sic)"

-males with exposed underwear, captioned "We love drunk guys"

-beer cans littering the ground

-Another Caption: "big redneck tits"

-the partially exposed buttcrack of a male participant

-"the ceremonial torch"

-for crying out loud, "www.hategun.com?"

-caption "hoe on the hoe"

-the most popular photos seem to be of women in the early stages of pregnancy, mud-wresting, and/or holding a can of beer and a cigarette with one hand. They must know one another because they all seem to have divided up the same rebel flag to sew their bikinis.

Is this your idea of "family-friendly?" You can keep it! The skydivers never behaved this badly.

Regards,
John Hall
Pell City, Alabama
Roll Tide Roll