Blue Angels low pass w/condensation

I spend way too much time doing school work its sad...

at first look of that pic I was measuring the shock angle...

I need a life...

What did you find out? The plane must have been below Mach 1 for the demo, but I guess transonic flight can be as slow as .8 Mach. It's kinda cool how there is a little cloud right over the cockpit. Enjoy school while you can.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

There used to be companies in the US that gave rides in subsonic trainer jets for ~$3,000/hr, but I couldn't find any viable looking websites. One aviation page said that the planes are in the FAA Experimental category, which does not allow commercial rides. They might not get away with it for long, but maybe they could call the rides "pilot training". South Africa seems to have a lot of jet ride businesses.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

WAY COOL!!! I wonder what kind of concussion the nearby boats and peeps recd?? I heard ordinary people (for a price) could go for rides in Flordia??? I wonder if this sorta ride is possible...

I've done a back seat ride in an F16... and I'm ordinary!!

San Francisco the weekend before last.

Not to be the negative one, but did you take that pic?

That just seems photoshopped to me? For it to be that close to the water and going that fast and not causing any disturbance in the water. There's barely a shadow on the water as well...

I'm just finding it hard to believe...not to mention the jet blast it would produce on the boats beside it and water as i said...
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

I shared it with some techie folks, they said definitely photoshop. I'm waiting for the answer as to how they can tell.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

There used to be companies in the US that gave rides in subsonic trainer jets for ~$3,000/hr, but I couldn't find any viable looking websites. One aviation page said that the planes are in the FAA Experimental category, which does not allow commercial rides. They might not get away with it for long, but maybe they could call the rides "pilot training". South Africa seems to have a lot of jet ride businesses.

We have had L39 rides for a donation to the Rantoul Kidds Club at the WFFC for a couple of years. Lets hope that Don brings them back. Still kinda pricey at 2500 depending on the price of fuel. I think at last check the fuel costs were 500 bucks for 20 minutes of airtime.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

That just seems photoshopped to me? For it to be that close to the water and going that fast and not causing any disturbance in the water. There's barely a shadow on the water as well...

I'm just finding it hard to believe...not to mention the jet blast it would produce on the boats beside it and water as i said...

It's real. Myabe you're failing to realize just how fast the jet is going. It's just on the cusp of breaking the sound barrier, which is why it has the vaopr/condensation cloud around it. In a picture, you wouldn't see any ill effects of it's passing because they haven't happend at that point yet, but I'm sure you could see some water (and maybe boat) movement afterward.

edit: I have attached another picture of another blue angel doing the same thing.

It's real. Myabe you're failing to realize just how fast the jet is going. It's just on the cusp of breaking the sound barrier, which is why it has the vaopr/condensation cloud around it. In a picture, you wouldn't see any ill effects of it's passing because they haven't happend at that point yet, but I'm sure you could see some water (and maybe boat) movement afterward.

No its not. There's no way. I do realize how fast the jet is going. I'm an aerospace engineer so I definitely know how fast it needs to go to break the sound barrier. It's what I do everyday...

However, previous to that condensation cloud, it was below the point of breaking the barrier, which means the sound and timing of the sound/disturbances should be proportional. Once the actual barrier is broken, then you would see the lapse in time.

Just as it produces a condensation cloud, some sort of water disturbance should be happening as well. Nothing big, but splash off or rogue waves should be forming. Also with the angle that the waves that SHOULD be formed by the jet and where the boats are placed, you should see in the distance behind it, boats being lapped by the wake of the water from the jet....

And yes in your picture you proved my point. There is disturbance from the water up until the point of the actual sound barrier being broken, you can see a disturbance. There's no white water, no waves, nothing.

It would still carry a disturbance before hitting the sound barrier as speed and the time in which it passes one point wouldn't be inverse to each other until after that cloud.

----Hellfish #707----

Whatever dude, I guess he must have photoshopped it because you say so.

Funny how the picture in the first post that you are so skeptical of, you can't even see what's going on in the water before the vapor cloud. My guess? It looks the same as the one in the picture I posted.

Found this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=486395&in_page_id=1811

Of course dang near anything can be faked nowadays, but the evidence is mounting.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

Whatever dude, I guess he must have photoshopped it because you say so.

Funny how the picture in the first post that you are so skeptical of, you can't even see what's going on in the water before the vapor cloud. My guess? It looks the same as the one in the picture I posted.

No I just presented what I believed to be fact...excuse me for doing so because I have a degree in aeronautics and astronautics and work at an aerospace company and can explain?

Can you?? I just know what my engineering sense tells me should be happening...its not about what I'm seeing, its about what I know and my understanding of physics, aerodynamics, and gas dynamics and propulsion...

Just because someone doesn't agree with your "word" don't get all pissy....if you dont like it, then dont post on here...stop taking everything so personal..

I'm welcome to my own fucking opinion....if its not photoshopped then I'll apologize, but I'm still welcome to believe what I want...

If you dont like it....too bad

----Hellfish #707----

This one is probably fake too:

http://www.etsu.edu/physics/ignace/physics/BA_Sonic_Boom_opt.jpg

And for the record, at an airshow, a jet will not actually break the sound barrier. It can't. If it did, it would create a sonic boom, which would be probably deafening and subsequently it would break all nearby windows. The vapor cloud you see formed during an airshow is the jet flying near or at the speed of sound, but not breaking the sound barrier.

why are the stationary boats in the background blurry, yet the jet traveling at a great speed is in focus??

Panning with the subject...and a LOT of luck!!!

No shit. I was taking pictures one year at the Indy 500 and it took quite a few attempts to get one with the car in frame. Pure luck.