skymama

Space Shuttle Countdown

magnificent accomplishment... whenever that aircraft launches.....

I'm so impressed that it can get to 5 THOUSAND MPH.... and 10's of MILES... above the ground ,,, so quickly.....

"45 seconds post launch and 15 miles downrange"...
GodSpeed...
The commander , Melroy, is a High School Grad of one of Our towns Parochial High Schools..:)lots of local pride,,, even from the townsfolk who couldn't AFFORD to send their kids there...[:/]:P;)B|

jmy

Out of curiosity, does anyone know whats left of/usable from the launch platform following the launch? I'm guessing that much of what's below the exhaust plume is destroyed from the heat. BTW, 10 points if anyone can tell me the EGT of the booster rockets.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

This might sound stupid, but I would be happy to just mow the lawn at NASA.:S:D

not stupid at all, Kenedy Space Centre has a vast expanse of lawn, the contract would be worth a decent dollar
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Very little of the actual launch tower is damaged during the actual launch process. The water suppresion system helps in keeping the pit from getting damaged and the tower is treated to deal with the temperatures. The tower is also one of the best grounding rods in FL getting hit on almost every major storm that rolls through the area.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

...And John, damn I'm old. I was a senior in high school when Challenger blew up...

Sorry Billy, I was mixed up - I was in 1st grade home with the chicken pox when I watched Reagan get shot, and was either in 6th or 7th when the Challenger exploded, home from school for some reason. It all kinda runs together in the 30s I guess. You are still older than me, though.:D
Roll Tide Roll

isn't the water also for noise suppression?
does a large part of that turn to steam?

when i was at KSC they said the water was primarily for noise supression, not heat reduction. and it ALL turns to steam
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I definitely slept through the physics lesson that went over the water for sound suppression theory. But it makes sense I guess.

EGT of 6K F? I don't know the real answer but in the words of Miss Hilton "That's Hot".
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

This might sound stupid, but I would be happy to just mow the lawn at NASA.:S:D

not stupid at all, Kenedy Space Centre has a vast expanse of lawn, the contract would be worth a decent dollar

Couldn't pay me enough to do that. Too many alligators.
TPM Sister #102

does anyone know whats left of/usable from the launch platform following the launch?

The Mobile Launch Platform (MLP) is a huge structure that holds the Space Shuttle assembly for launch. There are three large holes in the MLP, each one below the orbiter main engines and the two Solid Rocket Boosters (SRBs). When these ignite, the exhaust blasts through the holes down into a really large trench that is lined with heat-resistant bricks. There is a big (getting the idea that everything on the pad is pretty large?) steel wedge just below the MLP that splits the exhaust. The Shuttle Main Engine exhaust goes out the south end of the trench and the SRB exhaust goes out to the north. Additionally, there is a water spray system that dumps an incredible ammount of water into the MLP holes and trench to dampen the accoustic energy and provide some cooling. As the vehicle rises, and the nozzles of the SRBs clear the holes, the exhaust really blasts the top surface of the MLP. Everything exposed in this area is made of extremely strong materials (1" - 4" thick steel). Still, there are things that must be replaced following each launch because they get blasted all to hell. It's very important that nothing is left loose in the launch pad area, and we get a lot of training about that. There have been cases of things like a loose bolt being driven through a block wall 100 yards away by the blast. Something like that could be dangerous if it hit the departing vehicle. After 120 launches, it is pretty well-known what damage will be found following a launch. That, and the fact that the two shuttle pads are located a few hundred yards from the beach, means that damage and corrosion are constantly being repaired.

There are 3 MLPs. These have been in use since Project Apollo, launching Satern V rockets. They are planned to be used for the Constellation Program, which will follow the Shuttle.

For more info, check here:
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/reference/

Kevin

Sweet info. I need to get a job at KSC when I retire. Those launches are just incredible. Hell, i'll scrape corrosion of the launch platform for a living if they'll let me (just not during a thunderstorm).

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

Here is a beautiful pic for those who missed it or are too far away to see it.

Nice pic! I hope the clouds clear up for tonight's pass-over of the shuttle and ISS in my area. Should be pretty damn bright. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I hope the clouds clear up for tonight's pass-over of the shuttle and ISS in my area. Should be pretty damn bright. :)

I saw it last night. Very cool. Tonight should be much better...plus, the added bonus of seeing the Shuttle trailing behind by a couple minutes. I just heard that the distance is about 1000 mi. and they are closing at about 100 mph. That will slow down as they get closer. Docking is scheduled for about 8:30 am on Thursday.

...and for those lucky enough to jump at Sebastian....

we had 18 under canopy to watch the entire launch!

I bet that was absolutely amazing! I grew up here in FL and have seen my share of launches from school or my yard, but that I know would top them all. One day, one day....;)