skymama

Have you ever left your ATM card in the machine?

I was so distracted yesterday, I drove off from the ATM in the middle of a transaction and didn't even realize I didn't have my card or deposit slip until about an hour later! :S I was so worried that someone was going to drive up right after me and finish my transaction by emptying my account!

I cancelled that card and a new one is on the way. The bank rep told me the transaction only stays open about 20 seconds before the card gets sucked in anyway.

So far, 3 people have told me they've left their card before too. So, fess up and make me feel like less of an idiot! :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Yep. went out to eat with a bunch of jumpers, Walked across the parking lot to get some cash, Standing there chatting away, get cash, Tell one more stupid Joke, ATM Beeps a few times, And watch as the card is sucked back into the machine never to be seen again.[:/]

Called the BAnk that the ATM belonged to the next morning and they tell me they destroy all cards that the machine eats. Call my bank to get a new one.

I was leaving for vacation once and stopped by the bank to get cash at the ATM. After the transaction was over, I waited too long to remove the card. Slurp! It ate my card and wouldn't give it back. >:( I had to go on vacation with no ATM card. B|

The bank gave me the card back when I returned.

What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

Called the BAnk that the ATM belonged to the next morning and they tell me they destroy all cards that the machine eats. Call my bank to get a new one.

The Teller at my bank said if it would have been the walk-up ATM by the lobby, they could have given it back to me because they service it. The ones at the drive-thru are done by a different company and they shred the cards they find. I'm sure all banks have different policies though.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Only once ... the ATM at my (then) office. I left the card in there and walked down the street towards the parking lot. A guy who was out for a smoke break noticed the machine beeping and sucking the card in, so he ran after me to let me know that it had happened, so at least I knew that the card was safely destroyed... then of course I had to wait for a card, which was a nuisance since at that time my account was with a credit union that didn't have many branches. I realized then how strict grocery stores had gotten on writing checks over the amount. "Oh, yes, we'd be happy to, for a maximum of $10 cash.":S

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have when I was new to ATMing. I was thinking about something else and put the card in, logged in, entered money, got money, and then just left the machine without the card. I got in my truck which was parked right there and then drove up to the red light which was also right there. Fortunately, there were some good kids around who saw what I did, heard the machine beeping, grabbed the card, and returned it to me while I was waiting at the light. Yeah, I felt like an ass. :$

--Head

--
Turn off the internet! Join Citizens United Negating Technology For Life And People's Safety!

http://www.citizensunitednegatingtechnology.org/

I always use the ATM for my transactions, so I was a little lost this morning when I actually went inside the bank to withdraw some cash. I had to ask where the withdrawal forms were because I could only find deposit slips. A women told me you just walk up to the teller, give them your account number and ask for it. :o Really? I had no idea it was so easy! :ph34r:

I always use the ATM for my transactions, so I was a little lost this morning when I actually went inside the bank to withdraw some cash. I had to ask where the withdrawal forms were because I could only find deposit slips. A women told me you just walk up to the teller, give them your account number and ask for it. :o Really? I had no idea it was so easy! :ph34r:

At WAMU (where my accounts are currently) you actually use the ATM card for ID at the tellers... I don't know what my account number is without looking at my checkbook!

I think an even better poll would be "Have you ever left CASH in the ATM?" I know of people who have done that ... eek. There's no getting that back unless there's someone right behind you *and* that person is honest.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Really? I've always handed them a check made out to cash and endorsed the back.

Yeah! I just had the account # written on a post-it note. Now, it was the same Teller who had helped me the day before and who sees me all the time anyway for our work deposits, so she knows me. Maybe you just have to show a Driver's License too, if they don't know you.

I'm sure my day will come. It would be very easy to do.

I did return a card to someone once, though. It was a Sunday, so the bank wasn't open and I couldn't turn it in. (I didn't know the ATM would eat it if I did nothing.) It was easy enough to look up the person in the phone book and call them. I met them back at the ATM and returned their card but they were very suspicious of me. :S Okay, if I was going to do anything BAD with your ATM card, I wouldn't bother to find you in the phone book and then meet you in person so that you'd have my name, my contact information from the phone call and a description of what I look like. I didn't need great kudos or anything, but not looking at me like I had just mugged their grandmother would have been nice. :D

TPM Sister #102

I think an even better poll would be "Have you ever left CASH in the ATM?" I know of people who have done that ... eek. There's no getting that back unless there's someone right behind you *and* that person is honest.

<---- that person
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

When I first moved from Canada to the states I did it. All the ATMs I used in Canada were the swipey type, your card was never completely inside. I finally got a US account and when I used my card for the first time I didn't take it out :$.

I lost another one last week. I moved from Venezuela to Argentina and same shit...All the machines in Ven are swipey and I got out of the habit of being mindful of it. Now I'm racking up my visa and have no idea how to get a new bank card cause I don't know where I'll be living next week:S. It's a good thing beer is cheap here

I got nuthin

Literally the same thing 2 weeks ago.
I'm so used to swiping my card and immediately sticking it back in my wallet these days; that when I went thru the bank's ATM that sucks it in and keeps it during the transaction - also drove off.
Got about two miles away and called the bank.
Same spiel, it sucks back in after no more than 30 seconds....
(I also have fraud protection on it of no more than $500.00 per day and 3 days of the same transaction equals the bank calling me).

Anyway, I felt like a schmuck and the ost pain was not having it for 7 days until the new one showed up and trying to forecast how much cash I'd need over the weekend and writing a check at the bank.

Note to self: I sure seem to run thru a whole lot less cash when I don't have an ATM card; than when I do. :S:D

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

<---- that person

I'd totally tell someone if I were right behind them, too, but think about how many times you're at the ATM and there's no one anywhere near you.

As honest as I'd like to be ... what do you do in that circumstance? No one anywhere around, and cash sitting on the ATM. I suppose if it were an environment where I knew most of the people I might leave a note saying to contact me for the cash (a friend once left cash in the ATM inside our grad school building - that's the one example I can think of where the next person in line has a decent chance of knowing the person who left the cash). But otherwise ... you leave the cash there and it isn't likely to get back to its owner.

Never done it, but once found a card left in the machine. It was on base and I knew it belonged to a marine in 1 of 2 barracks (because of the bank) so I tracked him down and gave him back his card.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.