adrenalinejunki

Keeping the risers?

I sold my old canopy and need to remove the risers before shipping. Do I keep the steering toggles also or will my new canopy come with them? and if I keep them then how the hell do I get them off? They are tied on in knots.

Well I was supposed to ship it out earlier today and did'nt get the time to do this yesterday cause of a very late night at work. The nearest jumper at all is almost 2 hours away from me. But thanks for letting me know to keep the toggles.

Keep the toggles - they go with the rig.

John I wanted to add to what you just said for others that may see this thread.

The toggles go with the risers, the risers are apart of the container/harness system. Same with the deployment bag and the pilot chute.

The lines and the canopy are what is sold, the rest (basically) stays with you and your rig.

Mismatching risers isn't as bad as mismatching PCs and d-bags. The PC is designed specifically by the container manufacture to create enough drag to remove the canopy/bag from the container. A mismatched PC might give you a harder snatchforce or a PC in tow. Risers, as long as you have mini-rings with a mini or standard ring on the rig and don't try to put a standard 3-ring riser with a mini-ring on the rig, you'll most likely be ok. Except for the location of the RSL ring on the risers.

It is not unheard of for jumpers to buy risers for their rig from a different manufacture since they like the risers made by a different manufacture.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

do the links go with the canopy or the risers/rig? I just had to untangle every single line from my stiletto 120. EVERY SINGLE LINE

The only things that go with a canopy are the slider and the links.

Everything else (risers toggles, pilot chute, & bag) go with the container.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Mismatching risers isn't as bad as mismatching PCs and d-bags. ... Risers, as long as you have mini-rings with a mini or standard ring on the rig and don't try to put a standard 3-ring riser with a mini-ring on the rig, you'll most likely be ok.

Do not forget the inverted risers on a rig made for non-inverted risers, for example atom-risers (PDF) on a mirage.

..............time was when you bought a canopy it came with risers,toggles and d bag

Yes, in the days before ram-airs were the norm. The sleeve or bag was canopy specific instead of made for a specific container. Likewise, in those days the risers were also part of the canopy, as the steering lines and toggles were set up differently for each canopy type, and in many cases the lines were actually sewn to the risers and there weren't even any connector links (or L-bars back then).

Funny how times change!