SkydiveStMarys

Sleeping issues

It may not be the quick fix you are looking for, but self hypnosis works like a charm. I learned it many years ago while in grauduate school when I suffered form insomnia. I found time spent in a hypnotic state was as restful as sleep. But most of the time it will put you to sleep.

That worked for me when I was younger, but now I can't seem to finish it. I can get all the way to my brain, but then get the rapid, random thoughts thing going. I pieced together an incredibly comfortable bed set-up though, and it, combined with the self-hypnosis method, can make a night of no sleep comfortable and reasonably restful even when nothing will put me to sleep. If I'm up too late to take an ambien, at least I know I can lay there comfortably.

Quality pillow-top mattress covered with a novaform pad, covered with down pad, covered with 1200 TC sheets, down pillows, and a nice comforter....comfy shit!

Blues,
Dave

We have a $2000 mattress 1000ct sheets the whole nine yards. It does help but when you have stress, the brain has a weird way of waking you up. You know some of the shit i have dealt with dave. No matter what you do, medication is sometimes the answer.

Yeah, I wasn't saying the comfortable bedding will turn the brain off, I was just saying that spending a night awake in a very comfortable environment is much more restful than spending a night awake in something less comfortable. Relaxation drills/self hypnosis help too. It ain't sleep, but it's about as close as you can get without sleeping. I can dream in that state while still being awake, and that seems to really help.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Sleep apnea, insomnia, and sleep paralysis here. Whoohooo! B|

Have you tried the notebook approach? Leave a notepad next to your bed and whenever you wake up and start thinking about what you have to do just write them down. Even if they seem stupid write them down. The theory is that your brain will go over and over and over something 'important' to make sure you dont forget to do it (yes even silly things can be 'important'). But, by writing it down your brain can relax because you have it on paper. Just make sure the light is VERY dim; too bright and it could trick your brain into thinking the sun is coming up which would be bad.

It may not be the quick fix you are looking for, but self hypnosis works like a charm. I learned it many years ago while in grauduate school when I suffered form insomnia. I found time spent in a hypnotic state was as restful as sleep. But most of the time it will put you to sleep.

That worked for me when I was younger, but now I can't seem to finish it. I can get all the way to my brain, but then get the rapid, random thoughts thing going. I pieced together an incredibly comfortable bed set-up though, and it, combined with the self-hypnosis method, can make a night of no sleep comfortable and reasonably restful even when nothing will put me to sleep. If I'm up too late to take an ambien, at least I know I can lay there comfortably.

Quality pillow-top mattress covered with a novaform pad, covered with down pad, covered with 1200 TC sheets, down pillows, and a nice comforter....comfy shit!

Blues,
Dave

And Mutley next to you has to help some!!B|B|B|B|
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

heroin, smack been laying fools down since the 60's..........

or extreme :ph34r:sex you'll be layed out in the fetal position sucking your thumb immediatly after..:D

or spin around in a few circles as you scuff up the sheets and pillows then lay in a circle with your snout tucked into your abdominal area, cause you never know, and this one works wonders for the k9's

if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

The common theme here seems to be to throw some substance at the problem. The solution is to learn how to turn it off. The reason you're having this problem is fairly simple; you give a shit and take pride in your work. It's not a bad thing, it's a good thing. The by-product is that you get wrapped up in a mental whirlwind that prevents your mind from relaxing. The key is not using substances to artifically relax your brain; it's to learn better behaviors that allow your mind to relax. When you're driving 100 mph, it's unrealistic to think that you can stop in ten feet. It's just as unrealistic to think you can spend 10, 12, 14, 16 hours a day working/thinking at 100 mph and make the brain stop in ten minutes.

I had the same problem about ten years ago and went to my long-time friend and Doctor. Asked him for something to help me sleep. He sat me down in his office and asked me what was going on. Before I knew it, i was puking my workload in his office. He said, "Tell you what, how about coming out to the house this weekend and we'll go do some fishing and I got a couple of guns I need you to work on and we can talk about it some more then." I actually slept good that night.

I went out to his place and he was working in the barn. he told me to grab a fishing pole and head down to the pond and he'd meet me down there. I went fishing for a little bit and then wandered back up to the barn and said, "OK, let's talk about it." He said, "Keith, there's really nothing to talk about, you were down at the pond a whole five minutes. The only thing you need to do is learn how to relax. When was the last time you read a book? When was the last time you went flying? "When was the last time you did nothing?" Man, I felt like I was getting a spanking. But, it worked. He planted the seed and it grew. He was right. I was so hell bent on working that I forgot to relax. I forgot that its alright to work hard and play harder and before I knew it I was consumed in working 18 hours a day.

There's been a couple of good wholistic suggestions on here. Writing things down, knitting, reading a book, watching some mind-numbing shit on tv, exercise, etc. Some work for a few, not all work for everyone. My suggestion is to learn what works for you and give yourself more hours before its time to go to sleep. Use some reverse planning to determine when it's time for you to go to sleep and make that your "me" time. Whether it's two, three, four hours and then find that "something" that relaxes you.

Throwing a pill or a drink at the problem is not a solution. Learning to play and relax is the solution.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Throwing a pill or a drink at the problem is not a solution. Learning to play and relax is the solution.

I agree. Whilst you may be able to fall asleep your subconscious is not allowing you to truely relax.

It may or may not be that you have too much on your plate, it could well be that because you are not recharging your batteries fully and are becoming less and less efficient at dealing with stuff that you would normally be able to deal with.

I have used NLP and found it to be very effective. It helped me stop smoking and improved my relaxation dramatically.

I think you can try a NLP relaxation technique (about half way down the page) here. http://www.paulmckenna.com/file/135/health-and-fitness-nlp-techniques.html

But I can't test it out (cos I'm at work).

BP
:)

The common theme here seems to be to throw some substance at the problem. The solution is to learn how to turn it off. The reason you're having this problem is fairly simple; you give a shit and take pride in your work. It's not a bad thing, it's a good thing. The by-product is that you get wrapped up in a mental whirlwind that prevents your mind from relaxing. The key is not using substances to artifically relax your brain; it's to learn better behaviors that allow your mind to relax. When you're driving 100 mph, it's unrealistic to think that you can stop in ten feet. It's just as unrealistic to think you can spend 10, 12, 14, 16 hours a day working/thinking at 100 mph and make the brain stop in ten minutes.

I had the same problem about ten years ago and went to my long-time friend and Doctor. Asked him for something to help me sleep. He sat me down in his office and asked me what was going on. Before I knew it, i was puking my workload in his office. He said, "Tell you what, how about coming out to the house this weekend and we'll go do some fishing and I got a couple of guns I need you to work on and we can talk about it some more then." I actually slept good that night.

I went out to his place and he was working in the barn. he told me to grab a fishing pole and head down to the pond and he'd meet me down there. I went fishing for a little bit and then wandered back up to the barn and said, "OK, let's talk about it." He said, "Keith, there's really nothing to talk about, you were down at the pond a whole five minutes. The only thing you need to do is learn how to relax. When was the last time you read a book? When was the last time you went flying? "When was the last time you did nothing?" Man, I felt like I was getting a spanking. But, it worked. He planted the seed and it grew. He was right. I was so hell bent on working that I forgot to relax. I forgot that its alright to work hard and play harder and before I knew it I was consumed in working 18 hours a day.

There's been a couple of good wholistic suggestions on here. Writing things down, knitting, reading a book, watching some mind-numbing shit on tv, exercise, etc. Some work for a few, not all work for everyone. My suggestion is to learn what works for you and give yourself more hours before its time to go to sleep. Use some reverse planning to determine when it's time for you to go to sleep and make that your "me" time. Whether it's two, three, four hours and then find that "something" that relaxes you.

This, is an outstanding post! I'm actually printing it out so I don't forget it. All of this probably will take practise for most folks, but damn, it really sounds like it's worth it.

Thanks Bigun.:)

You may be able to get your doc to prescribe something like Klonipin. I was rear-ended in July and having problems sleeping because of lower back and neck pain. I guess it's a muscle relaxer/pain reliever/ sleep aid. If I take it an hour before bedtime I sleep great and as long as I sleep around 8 hours I'm not too groggy the next day.

The label says it's for seizures but can be prescribed for other reasons. So far (after about 8 pills in 14 nights) no side effects. I haven't slept like this in years. Talk about feeling well-rested! But, I guess there is a chance of dependency. I haven't been jonsin' for it or anything and usually take one every other night. Hope you get it straight as you won't believe the difference in a good night's sleep. Good luck.

mike
I don't want to make all the decisions because if I screw up, then I can't blame it on you...