livendive

new-fangled fencing material?

So the city installed and owns part of the fence at the new house, 3 slats of which are broken. Technically, I can submit a request for them to come fix them, but that just seems silly. They can't cost much, and the work is easy. Most importantly, the puppy will likely be twice her current age or more before any city workers would come by, and I doubt she'd delay any escape attempts till then (when she will no longer be able to fit through).

So I ran by the house yesterday to grab a broken sample, and found the material to be something I haven't seen before. It's got a "faux wood appearance" on the outside, but is actually made out of resin or polycarbonate or something like that. It's very light-weight. I went by the local Lowe's and the lumber guy said I was about the dozen-th person to come by looking for replacement slats in the last week (we had a windstorm recently). He'd never seen it before and had no clue where to get it. Without knowing exactly what to call it, Google isn't helping at all, so now I'm turning to the experts of dz.com. Somebody here has to know something about new fencing materials, especially cheap, lightweight materials like a city would be interested in. Can you take a look at the attached pictures and tell me what this stuff is...and better yet, where I might find some?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

The material used appears to be Polyurethane -

I'd do a check for that -

Also, being that it is synthetic, you might be able to in fact repair/join the pieces with bonding agents that are designed for that purpose.

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

with bonding agents that are designed for that purpose.

I was able to find the bonding agent that was mentioned. Gotta love Google!

Was actually thinking more along the line of the Epoxy family of products - :)

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

Lets see, yours is broken and the guy at Lowes says a dozen other people have came looking for it. Let my know what it is when you find out so I don't buy any.

Will do. :D To be fair though, the windstorm Monday had gusts over 90 mph within 10 miles of here. I'd imagine anything less "open" than cyclone fencing would be at risk of needing a repair or two. :P

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

Dammit woman! We're all thrilled that he enjoys working with the stuff, but what the hell is it NAMED! We're all on the edge of our seats here and I'm sure I won't be able to have a single productive thought until I know what to call this new wondermaterial!

:P

Elvisio "Plastiwood? Plexiwood? Woodglass? Plastiplanks?" Rodriguez

Lets see, yours is broken and the guy at Lowes says a dozen other people have came looking for it. Let my know what it is when you find out so I don't buy any.

It turns out this particular brand is called "Surewood", and the city has banned its use on any further projects because it's not the wind that's breaking it...it's kids. Apparently they've learned that a decent punch will snap it. There are apparently similar composite boards available that are much sturdier, TimberTech being a popular one. I just bought the 3 boards I need for $10 each, but will switch to something else if this turns out to be a common occurence.

Blues,
Dave
(drink Mountain Dew)

I ran my own fencing company here in NZ for about 6 years before my current job. I have literaly built miles and miles of fencing made from cheap pine timber.
Some of those fences are now 10years old, and have been through many wind cycles including a couple of cyclonic ones.
Not one single paling (slat as you called it) has broken as a result of wind.
I would rather not fix something with the same material if I knew in advance it was likly to break again!!;)

Watch my video Fat Women
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWkEky8GoI