Superman32

Nervous Breakdown

Another miserable semester is coming to a close, and one of my close friends is fricking the f out.

This girl is super smart, top of the class, probably the nicest, most caring person I know, and is just crumbling.

For no apparent reason, she can't stop crying, fricked out today before a practical exam (yes an exam on Sunday - Med school is great :S), and because of that she got a big fat zero. Luckly she can remediate it after classes end, but will seriously affect her studying for another HUGE test on the 20th, and she won't be elligible for a particular rotation she really wanted and had lined up.

We have another test tomorrow and a final on Wed. I hope she can get it together.

She has been degrading for the past couple of weeks, and unfortunately, she doesn't know what the problem is, and refuses to talk to anybody.

This sucks:(
I hope she doesn't throw her life away.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

Are there campus counseling services that you can suggest she utilize?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I agree with Krisanne's suggestion. To be blunt, in order for her to make it through med school, she has to overcome whatever it is that is stressing her. Refusing to talk to anyone is just going to exacerbate the problem and she is not going to make it.

My best wishes to her.

"My advice to you is to start drinking heavily."
- Bluto Blutarsky
“Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier than helping someone move. I just went over to his house and made sure that he did not start to load his shit into a truck.”

Is she in your study group? Is she in a study group? One of the biggest supports that I had through medical school was "my group." Family and friends can't really understand how much pressure there is to learn it ALL (it truly is like drinking from a fire hydrant) Tanja, Jeff, Patrick, James and I pulled each other through. We not only studied together, but as a group, we learned. Cuz although you do need to be able to pass all the test, you understand that you don't have to know it ALL.

One other thing to get her to chat with her doctor about (and I STRESS that she needs to talk with her dr, not just self rx).... beta blockers. Especially with practical exams.

Comfort her as best you can as her friend, but also acknowledge that sometimes we have such huge goals for ourselves which adds to such a high level of stress that we end up defeating the purpose. Let her know that her freaking out isn't going to help her achieve her goals; that she needs to learn to cope differently.
I believe in visualizing what you want in life. If you can see it, you can be it. If it doesn't happen, after doing my honest best effort, then I re-assess what I can do differently to make it happen on the next attempt and never give up! Unfortunately, or fortunately, it's just LIFE. LIFE..and Living is full of disappointments as well as pleasures. Sometimes I have to bite my lip to accept the Reality of Life as it doesn't always go as I planned or hoped it would.

At least she has friends like you who care enough to help her through difficult times.

Thanks for all the responses.

We have encouraged her to seek help, and have spent time listening to her and trying to get to the bottom of things. The problem is she refuses to speak with anyone about what is bothering her. Sadly, I don't think she knows what the problem is, and as a good future surgeon, coudn't get any more stubborn.

Her fricking out today, was not even about the actual exam, she was very well prepared for it. For what ever reason she just could not get it together. She went to admin. and was simply told - Suck it up or fail. She failed.

We, as her friends are scared for her, because this does not seem to be school related. She truly seems to be breaking down.

We are also scared because it is crunch time, and as much as we like, we have to think about our own exams this week. We have already spent many hours talking and consoling -- time, is unfortunately is a very precious commodity.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

I hope she doesn't throw her life away.

Keep a VERY close eye on her. I used to go to a state college about 20 miles from Cornell. We used to have a joke that if we flunked out, we'd get shitfaced and have a hangover to die for, while Cornell students would leap off a bridge. Then a friend of mine at Cornell came home one night to find his roomate had hung himself in their room.

Your friend needs counseling and she needs her friends to stick with her closely. I'm not saying she's suicidal, but don't dare rule it out. Grad programs and stuff like med school are very high stakes educations with huge futures in the balance. You need to help her LIVE through this. And I'm not being overly dramatic either. I'm not kidding.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Thanks for being the friend that she needs right now...

I'd see if your group of friends can spring for a 60 minute massage for her. Tell her that she has to not think about ANYTHING for those 60 minutes.

I'd agree with others here that she really does need to seek some professional help to get through the stress in one piece.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

All I can say is that this is a real pisser. Damn I feel for her. Timing really IS everything when you're trying to get through medical school. Regardless of whether she works out the big problem right now, maybe she can figure out a way to set it aside for the time....because right now is REAL important.

An aside...of course medical school is stressful. It's INSANELY stressful. I frequently think of my good friend who, while I was at WFFC in '04 killed his wife and himself. Ugh. If you're scared for her, be there for her. Just not at the expense of you.
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Just a thought, and I realize that we are talking about a med student here, but is it entirely possible that with the pressure to do well she has turned to something addictive to help her and has gotten in over her head. Her symptoms sound typical of someone with an addiction or eating disorder. Maybe a chemical imbalance could be to blame for her emotional instability. Which would make it harder to focus on the purpose at hand.
"not all grief is bad grief, just ask Charlie Brown"

Absolutely. Was my first thought too...but maybe colored by my own memories of medical school. Regardless...she needs to get through NOW, however she has to. This ain't the time to crumble, imho. Just how it is.

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Regardless...she needs to get through NOW, however she has to. This ain't the time to crumble, imho. Just how it is.
linz

It might well be the time for her to stand back and evauate if this is what she REALLY wants to do.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Thanks again for the input.

Her desire/ability to become a doctor is not in question.
Med school is a very unique experience, and sadly, Linz is right, all we can tell her now is either seek help, or suck it up (at least until classes are over and she takes the boards).
It's scary and the possibility of suicide is always there.
Last year some kid killed himself, and I know of at least 3 people who have seriouly contemplated it.
[:/]

Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

It's scary and the possibility of suicide is always there.
Last year some kid killed himself, and I know of at least 3 people who have seriouly contemplated it.

Yep. I was at WFFC in '04 when I learned that a good friend of mine from med school (we had just finished junior year) had killed his wife and himself.

Unfortunately, you have to pick and choose when you're gonna fall apart. If she can hold it together to get through finals, then there's a little break and some time to work all of this out...if she can just get there.

Hang in there!

Peace~
linz
--