MagicGuy

Addicted: Pepperoncinis

So I think I have a problem. I have been eating pepperoncinis like they are Skittles. For those who don't know what they are, if you go to Bertucci's or Olive Garden and see the little yellow peppers in your salad that are decently spicy, those are them. Pastene and a couple other companies sell them in jars. I believe they are pickled.

These things are amazing. I can't just open up the jar and eat one. Instead, I eat half of the jar.. a big jar. I can't help it. It's like a drug.. once I start eating them I can't stop until they are gone. But they do tend to mess with my stomach a little bit, which I never feel the affects of until.. #2.

Anyone else love these little, yellow bundles of joy?

So I think I have a problem. I have been eating pepperoncinis like they are Skittles. For those who don't know what they are, if you go to Bertucci's or Olive Garden and see the little yellow peppers in your salad that are decently spicy, those are them. Pastene and a couple other companies sell them in jars. I believe they are pickled.

These things are amazing. I can't just open up the jar and eat one. Instead, I eat half of the jar.. a big jar. I can't help it. It's like a drug.. once I start eating them I can't stop until they are gone. But they do tend to mess with my stomach a little bit, which I never feel the affects of until.. #2.

Anyone else love these little, yellow bundles of joy?

I have a jar in my fridge. Bought it yesterday. It will be gone tonight. I LOVE them!!!
'Shell

Yup, I love'em... The Greek Pepperocinis are the best. Most grocery stores have them but you have to be careful which brands you buy. Some brands tend to be very tough.
Vigo is a very popular brand, but they're sometimes tough, sometimes not.
Fantis is the best I've found so far. They're probably hard to find though. I live right next to Tarpon Springs (very big Greek town) so lots of places have them around here.

Pepperocini and Calamata olives go very quickly around my place. For some reason the two just go hand-in-hand with me.

We think alike!B|

Spinach, Romaine lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, Calamata olives, pepperocini, *lots* of Feta, fresh ground black pepper and splashed with Greek Feta dressing.

Damn.... Now I'm hungry!

Thanks! Going to make a wonderful salad right now! Yummm! LOVE pepperoncinis! And a big yes to the fetta cheese too! :)
Hate to add this word of caution, though. I have a patient who informed me that she now has diverticulitis from chowing down on pepperoncinis every day. Like some of you she could not stop at just one and now has an incurable intestinal problem. She can't eat them now because of it. [:/]

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Would you care to share your moms homemade dressing recipe?

I've been searching the web for homemade dressing but none seem to make it for me.
Thanks in advance.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

apparantly my mom is ON IT tonight! heres what she sent me

1/2 c. vinegar (I use either balsamic or wine)
1/2 c. olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 T Italian seasoning
1 T. spike (a natural form of Mrs. Dash)
1/2 t. black pepper
2 T. sucanat (natural cane sugar, any sweetener will do)
Parmasan cheese (opt)

She keeps it in a special dressing thing she has so we can mix it up whenever we use it as it tends to settle. enjoy!!! :)

Thank you and thank your mom also.
It sounds great and uses natural ingredients which I'm into also.
Thanks again.

All good natural dressings settle, so, shake it baby, shake it like a Polaroid picture.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

apparantly my mom is ON IT tonight! heres what she sent me

1/2 c. vinegar (I use either balsamic or wine)
1/2 c. olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1 T Italian seasoning
1 T. spike (a natural form of Mrs. Dash)
1/2 t. black pepper
2 T. sucanat (natural cane sugar, any sweetener will do)
Parmasan cheese (opt)

She keeps it in a special dressing thing she has so we can mix it up whenever we use it as it tends to settle. enjoy!!! :)

Here's mine which is much the same

125ml balsamic vinegar
125ml olive oil
50ml sugar or splenda
15ml dried oregano
15ml old fashioned mustard
10ml dried dill
sliced red onions

And like they said, shake it like a polariod picture! I use an old spaghetti sauce jar that has the gradients on the side. Makes it way easy to measure.

And let it sit for about a half hour so it can thicken.
'Shell

15ml old fashioned mustard
10ml dried dill
sliced red onions

i have a love affair with mustard, and had never thought of putting it in the dressing. what a great idea! same with the dill and onions. thanks!! :)

Any time! It tastes great in there!
'Shell

Try getting a jar of pickled garlic. Oh man its like candy.

OMFG, that sounds tasty!!

To date, the tastiest thing I've done with garlic is to gently fry several cloves in olive oil, with kosher salt & black pepper. Let it cool a bit, then pour it on my steak before I cook it.