jeiber

Jumped a Katana 135 this weekend!

Ok, put two jumps on a KA-135 yesterday - I know alot of us big boys are anxiously awaiting the release of the larger sizes, so here are my observations as a 'teaser'. Two jumps isn't really enough to get to know a canopy, granted, but there were some pretty obvious characteristics.

My reference point: ~300 jumps on a Vengeance 150 (relined ~100 jumps ago), exit weight 270lbs. Exit from 13.5, deployed subterminal first jump, deployed terminal second jump. KA-135 was loaded at 2.0:1.

Both openings were perfectly on heading, and very comfortable deployment sequence. This is a welcome change! :D

The KA-135 was happy to have it's toggles unstowed, it really took off. Tested the brakes, great stopping power. Tested them deeper, huge control range, too! The canopy didn't appear to be anywhere near the stall point, but didn't want to push it that far. Much more range and braking power than my larger VN150.

Next was toggle turns. Very responsive - not much input was needed to get into a tight turn. A brisk pull on a toggle to the half way point put me way above the canopy. The toggle response is much closer to that of a Stiletto than a Vengeance.

This canopy dives hard, to the tune of well over 700' on a 270 from half brakes. No noticable oversteer. I let up on the riser, and it immediately stopped turning. Riser pressure on the KA135 seemed a little bit firmer than on my VN150. I wasn't nearly as aggressive as I am under my VN, so the riser pressure may be lower if I really would have gotten into them. Next time I'll put my big boy pants on and really get into it! ;)

Rumor has it they're ready to go, and will be ready to order very soon! :)
Jeff

ps- love my VN, btw, openings are a little (ok, alot) wild. [:/]
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

>Both openings were perfectly on heading, and very >comfortable deployment sequence. This is a >welcome change!

Little off topic but I just got my KA107 with 500 HMA and openings are sweet, much better then I was expecting. So far I made 8 jumps (2 sub-terminal 6 terminal) and all openings were very soft and 100% on heading. Good job PD!

THANK GOD!!! It's about time!!! I was getting sick of waiting for my KA-150. PD kept giving these excuses about it not being ready, blah, blah, blah.... Why can't PD just allow their customers to be their "test jumpers?" Other companies do...:P

I guess this blows the lid off all the "conspiracy theories....." Of course I would have liked to hear it from pd.....not Jeiber!!!:D[:/]

I guess this blows the lid off all the "conspiracy theories....." Of course I would have liked to hear it from pd.....not Jeiber!!!

:DHa! It's just eatin' you up, isn't it Swoop! ;)

I'm sure they have something official coming out. What can I say, the canopy was awesome, and I got the 'ok' to post about it, so why not brag a little?! :)
I was jumping it Sunday, where were you? He had a 150 you could have jumped as well! :P

You were a victim! :D

Jeff

Wiped that smile off your face yet Jeff?

:D Smiling more than ever now! :D

Great hangin' with you as well! Next time we'll have to actually jump together!

Yeah, PD is really onto something with that canopy!

Jeff

Was good to meet you on the weekend.

Pffft. That must have been nice :D

*grumble*can't believe she blew us all off in LW*grumble* :D:D:D

:DB| Love you too Ian.
Will make more of an effort next time.

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

We just finished the 135, 150 and 170. Shouldn't be much longer before you can come and get them.

Making a 170? This thing flies perfect at a 1:9 or 1:8 wingload. That would make a pilot about 300 lbs. I would argue that if a pilot is 300 lbs, and unless a bodybuilder or incredibly in shape, they should maybe consider a different hobbie. I don't know...just thinking out loud. [:/]:|:)

We just finished the 135, 150 and 170. Shouldn't be much longer before you can come and get them.

Making a 170? This thing flies perfect at a 1:9 or 1:8 wingload. That would make a pilot about 300 lbs. I would argue that if a pilot is 300 lbs, and unless a bodybuilder or incredibly in shape, they should maybe consider a different hobbie. I don't know...just thinking out loud. [:/]:|:)

A new tandem main? Yeah, tandemswooping :P

What works for me might not work for you. It's all about your personal frame of reference. A lot of people have the number 1.8 as a magical wingloading for the Katana, for some that might be the case. I know people who seem to think it's 1.2 and I know another person who likes it at 2.6-2.7. Regardless of the wingloading there is a range the canopy has. At a lighter wingloading the canopy won't fly as fast but it will shut down really well. A canopy with a higher wingloading will go faster but the speed where it shuts down will be that much faster. It's a sliding scale. There is no wingloading on any canopy where the range increases at some "perfect" wingload. You go up in wingloading your going to sacrifice the bottom end on the canopy, go with a lighter wingloading you won't go as fast.

If you are proficient at landing a canopy at the extreme end of it's performance, it is possible to get "acceptable" landings on the Katana at 1.8-1.9. If you’re Vladi 2.7 on a 97 is "perfect", for me and most other people thats way too high, but that's my personal frame of reference compared to his.

Isaiah

what were some of the issues that delayed the release? just curious?

I'm sure Isaiah will address this, but it's my understanding that openings (consistency) were an issue. Performance Designs wanted to put out a product that opened and flew like all the other Katana's. Scaling doesn't work (although some manufacturers do it). PD continued to refine the sizes until the product performed to their criteria and expectations.

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Scaling doesn't work (although some manufacturers do it).

Scalling doesnt work if you are trying to make a 135, 150 and 170 from a 107. But I have talked with engineers that said they have found no difference in making a 107 a 110 or a 135 a 138. Changing an airfoil 1% is a lot different than trying to go 20%.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Scalling doesnt work if you are trying to make a 135, 150 and 170 from a 107.

Sorry Johnny, I should have been more clear. I meant the first example you cited of making a 107 a 135, etc.

Blues bro!
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer