Darius11

The people who write spyware

What he said.

Your car likely has several doors and windows. If you leave the windows down and the doors unlocked and someone steals it, it's your fault for leaving it unsecured and the thief's fault for exploiting your poor judgement. It's not Ford's fault that you didn't take reasonable precautions and/or buy some anti-theft device(s).

Blues,
Dave

Oh really sherlock so the guy who has no issue taking another’s property is not an issue at all in your book? At least now I know why we need locks in this world.

I have always believed in respecting others and don’t need a lock or gun to do so.

You must have missed part of my post, so I've bolded it above.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

So you don't think if everyone today switched to Linux or Apple the hackers wouldn't change up their tactics and target those OS's just as heavily as Windows? I am not talking about the past. I am talking about today. Today nearly all the virii are targeting Windows users. There have been a very few that targeted Linux. I haven't heard of any for Apple. It really isn't worth their time or effort today to write spyware or virii for Linux or any other unix based platform when all their targets are on Windows. The fact that Windows is not as secure as those others is just a bonus.

What he said.

Your car likely has several doors and windows. If you leave the windows down and the doors unlocked and someone steals it, it's your fault for leaving it unsecured and the thief's fault for exploiting your poor judgement. It's not Ford's fault that you didn't take reasonable precautions and/or buy some anti-theft device(s).

Blues,
Dave

Oh really sherlock so the guy who has no issue taking another’s property is not an issue at all in your book? At least now I know why we need locks in this world.

I have always believed in respecting others and don’t need a lock or gun to do so.

You must have missed part of my post, so I've bolded it above.

Blues,
Dave

why yes i did.:$
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

A quick questions for all you computer guys/girls.

What do the guys who write this crap get out of it? Does it serve any purpose other then to frustrate the fuck out of us?

I know the first viruses were written out of jealousy in Pakistan, but what about this stuff?

Most spyware is hidden in applications (Such as Free toolbars and other "Free" applications that people routinely download and install.) many time if people actually read license agreement that they just click OK to, It would even tell them they are about to install spyware on their PC (Not in those word, But will have something in there about information being collected).

If you are going to install something on your PC (Especially something that is "Free" (First hint that it has Spyware, They have to pay the bills somehow)), Know what it is and read the License. Know what you are agreeing to.

A quick search on the web can usually tell you if an application is known to be full of spyware or not too.

Perhaps because mass adoption of technology requires it to be user friendly. Locking Windows down is as easy as locking down Linux or BSD, however you will 'break' things in the eyes of the average user.

Users generally don't want to remember difficult passwords, or confirm that they really did mean to create a socket, or reconfigure their firewall every time a friend comes over and wants to use IM, or share files. In fact, they'll disable all the crap that gets in the way of them doing stuff if you tell them where the off switch is.

Technology failed the users. Users don't know any better. I tend to think Apple is closer to approaching the right balance than the majority of other vendors, but it's always going to be a struggle to manage complexity while remaining accessible to people who simply view their computers as a thing to get stuff done with, rather than an end unto itself.

First, you say that security is a problem for users, then you say Apple has the right approach.
Ever do a port scan on a new Apple? Nothing is open by default.

We agree on Apple. Prior to Mac OS X, when someone asked what computer to recommend to in-experienced users, I came up blank. The old Mac OS 9 was just a toy OS.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Most spyware is hidden in applications (Such as Free toolbars and other "Free" applications that people routinely download and install.) many time if people actually read license agreement that they just click OK to, It would even tell them they are about to install spyware on their PC (Not in those word, But will have something in there about information being collected).

If you are going to install something on your PC (Especially something that is "Free" (First hint that it has Spyware, They have to pay the bills somehow)), Know what it is and read the License. Know what you are agreeing to.

A quick search on the web can usually tell you if an application is known to be full of spyware or not too.

Thats what is crazy, i don't down load any thing on here. The only thing i did do in the past two days is:
look at the post about all the old playmates, and to show a friend I did a search on google for Adrina Lima.

I think clicking on her pic might have fucked me good. :(

I like the builder analogy and I wanna use it myself it's so good. :)
So, I think it's not the builder's fault, as such, that the occupier's house got broken into. It's the occupier's fault for buying a house that has been very well publicised to be extremely insecure.

B|

Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

There is no way just clicking on a JPG installed something to your PC unless you change your default security setting in windows. (Was this a Spyware program or just tracking cookies?)

Also you could have had apps previously installed that left ports open for the attacker to get in.

Keep your firewall on, Keep your antivirus updated, Run Adaware once a week and dont install any "Free" software untill you have verified that it is spyware free.

I agree that it is frustrating and sucks that you have to be so careful. The Spyware writers should be caught and punished.

There is no way just clicking on a JPG installed something to your PC unless you change your default security setting in windows.

isnt this wrong? if you have an .exe program, like spy- or other malware, rename it to malware.jpg.exe! windows will show it as malware.jpg

that would fuck you for good..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Windows will display it that way only if you are hiding known file extentions.

There is lots of money to be made via spyware, and not just from the AV vendors. The Russian mob is maing a ton of money stealing credit card numbers and having stolen items resold. They also are making a chunk of money off companies that pay to have their software installed on your computer like some of the "search bar" companies do.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

First, you say that security is a problem for users, then you say Apple has the right approach.
Ever do a port scan on a new Apple? Nothing is open by default.

We agree on Apple. Prior to Mac OS X, when someone asked what computer to recommend to in-experienced users, I came up blank. The old Mac OS 9 was just a toy OS.

Zero response from a portscan is not a benchmark for security.

Security *is* a major problem for users. There are a number of security flaws in Apple's current OS - but like I said, it's a better balance between usability and security than the majority of other OSes out there.

The majority of issues that I've faced over my career fall neatly into two camps: 1. overly complex systems security that requires a great deal of investment to administer and maintain correctly over the long term. 2. The stupid end runs that users (both casual and people that should know better: developers and other sysadmins) make to create shortcuts that circumvent those overly complex security mechanisms.

Let me reiterate: Technology failed. Any technology insufficiently advanced that it requires explicit knowledge of it's workings for a person to interact with it productively is inherently broken.

TV's got them images, TV's got them all, nothing's shocking.