ACMESkydiver

Dz.com FITNESS Freaks...What's Goin' On In Your World?

I think I should be able to increase it to that level in time however I am slightly concerned about my shin splints"ouch". I am running 3-4 days a week. Wish me good luck!

I despise running, but I'm trying to work myself into it. Husband runs 6-7 miles per day every other day (on leg days) then he runs shorter 1 1/2-2 1/2 miles runs on upper body days. I douldn't keep up on a 1.7 mile he tried to take me on. :$

The one thing I DO know about though is shin splints! It might seem simplistic and you're probably already doing this anyways, but here's what I do:

I go about walking fast and uphill for about 5 minutes prior to any workout to warm up (do whatever you do for warmup) then I stretch. I take long strides slowly, almost like lunges (ever do those in high school sports? Lunges across the gym? They suck, but they work...) and stretch out the legs well...then the thing that has cured my shin splints was standing on ythe edge of a step (or the treadmill) with only your toes on, heals hanging off, and doing slow, full, toe raises and claf stretches about 20 times. I hold the top and the bottom stretch for a few seconds each.

Like I said, simplistic and you probably already do it...but I suffered from HORRIBLE shin splints all of my adult life when working out until one of my trainers started off our session with that stretch. I have only gotten shin splints once in 6 months since I incorporated this stretch (and I am not a small girl...so that's saying alot about the pressure my lil' shins must endure when I'm working out! :$).

The only time it didn't work was when Joe took me on that dumb ol' run with him and we were running down hills -pavement- and I ended up slamming down my feet on each step doing that. :S
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Going to beat target to run 1,000km this year in an attempt to slow the rate of decline... (slight problem after breaking my heel junping in Russia in July that stopped me running for 2 months so had to really put the distances in to get back on track)... most runs are around 8k (five miles) in about 35 minutes, longest = 16km (10 miles)...

Plus some weights etc etc...

I just got back from Mexico where the 7,000 feet asl and the heat pushed 6km run time to 30 minutes.. (very slow for me) ... got back to the UK and sea level and did 6km in just over 25 minutes despite the jet-lag - it really is soooo much easier at sea level

It's tough at times but good to keep pushing.

Good luck healing fully after that break! Sounds like a painful one. B|
~Jaye

Been on this program for 2 months now.

mon/wed/fri - 5 mile run (40 minutes right now) in afternoon

tues - weights in afternoon, 1000meter swim (10 pushups every 50 meters) evening

thurs - weights in afternonn, 1000 meter swim (no stopping) evening, climbing wall (1.5 hours) right after swimming

wed - bouldering wall (2 hours)

sat/sun - traveling, hiking and other outdoorsy activities. usually one day of jumping but not in the past 2 months...fucking weather.

Starting a stretching class two days a week in the morning and a AB burner one afternoon.

Nice! Are you in training for something with a specific goal, or is this a routine you are just comfortable with? :)
~Jaye

I'm counting down the days til I move to Arizona and actually have weather that I can run in, I hate wearing a bunch of cold weather gear when I run, I go out in short and a sleeveless tee no matter what the temp and out here it's starting to kick my ass not being able to feel my hands after a run. I miss the nice warm nights in Iraq in the summer when I could go run 10+ miles a night and feel great the whole time. Colorado sucks:(

I just bought Joe a bunch of reflective winter running gear...(bought myself some too, but I walk instead of run.)

The only thing I don't like about winter outdoor workouts is the freaking bronchitis I keep getting from over doing it. I have a hard time regulating my breathing and end up gasping in air, and that's shitty for your lungs. :S I bought myself some gloves too because after 2 hours of jogging and walking I couldn't feel my fingers any more -SUCKS when they start burning/stinging when they start warming up!! :D

I don't get how Joe can do 7 miles in nearly freezing temps, but I do 1.5 and get bronchitis. :|>:( Could be something to do with the fact that he's in good shape already and I'm not...:P
~Jaye

Usually, today, M and W, I'll do chest, bi's, tri's and lats and then T, Thu, F, I'll do back, lats, traps, shoulders, and bi's

What about legs? Do you do legs at all?

I also don't workout on set days so my body doesn't get used to a routine and I start to plateau, but when I change it up, I always make sure I get enough rest as well.

There's where I have a bit of a challenge. I guess I'm like my Autistic sons...I need ROUTINE to stick to anything! But I'm thinking that the plateau I'm on, besides the obvious of not eating as well as I have been, is because when I work out regularly it's the same thing over and over. I'm trying to throw in some pilates and ab classes, but my gym is losing all of their class instructors on Jan 1 and not looking very hard to replace them! :S>:(

During my workouts I've set up a program on my iPod where I give myself 30 sec. of rest in between each set. When that 30 sec. is up, the music changes. In between machines, I give myself 2-3 min. rest. This usually keeps me working pretty hard.

As for cardio, i'm still getting into the same high intensity workout my trainer showed me.
10 min warmup (quick start)
1 min. on level 10-11 with my strides staying above 220 strides/minutes
3 minute rest
1 minute on level 10 w/ strides at 220
3 minute rest
3 min. rest
3 min. rest
5 min cool down

I never allow rest on cardio at all...and I only rest 30-45 seconds between sets on weight equip. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? :| I don't have a trainer at the gym any more.

I'm trying to slim down, not bulk up (yet). Maybe that's part of the difference...

Anyhow, I am VERY jealous of your gym with so many classes!
~Jaye

Just my routine. I was using a different one prior to this but I change routines every three months. Keeps the muscle memory down.

When I'm in training for anything I add a few things, usually weights and other specifics.

Good luck to all with the holidays coming up. These are the hard ones to continue thru.
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

Just my routine. I was using a different one prior to this but I change routines every three months. Keeps the muscle memory down.

Maybe that's the solution I'm lookin for! I menitoned to psi up there that I need routine to stick to something but I want to change it up, too...I bet this idea would solve both of those. B| thanky!

I'm going to head off to the gym...one of the trainers is hosting a 'circuit training' at noon. Though I don't have a partner, I bet there will be some gal there that I can sucker into working out with me instead of the treadmill or whatever! :)
~Jaye

I've been doing well! Have kind of slacked off on the workouts because I am moving next week but I am down to 200 pounds! It is really exciting. I plan on dropping down to 190 and then work on flexibility, toning, and endurance versus raw strength.

Definitely making my first tandem this coming spring.

Oh yeah I forgot legs. On days when i have cardio, I try to go easy on legs, but I usually do at least 2 leg workouts every session too.

As far as cardio is, the reason for the 3 min. rest is because your with that type of stride, it gets my heartrate up to about 93% and if you were to keep going at that pace, oxygen det would come sooner rather than later...

I should also clarify, when I say 3 min rest, I don't mean stepping off the elliptical and getting back on. During the 3 minutes i put the level from 10 back down to 4 and keep going at a normal pace and then once the 3 min. is up, i crank it up back up to level 10 and put my strides back at 220+ again.....sorry i shouldve made that more clear.

I'm reading these two training books and one is all about high intensity workouts and at least for bulk, the 30 sec. between sets and the 2-3 min. b/w machines is optimal for me. It gives your muscles enough time to come back down with overworking them.
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

Did another 2000yds of swimming this morning, and did 300 situps and 300 flutterkicks in alternating sets of 50 tonight. Would've done more, but I had to eat dinner and shovel the rest of the sidewalk. That was a workout in itself.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

Did another 2000yds of swimming this morning, and did 300 situps and 300 flutterkicks in alternating sets of 50 tonight. Would've done more, but I had to eat dinner and shovel the rest of the sidewalk. That was a workout in itself.

Got back in the gym today after a 3 week layoff....cold and then travel and then....recovery from travel. 1st day back was tough in some aspects and easy in others. Felt good to workout though;). Walked for 30 minutes and then upper body lifting...then did some stretching. Tomorrow will be the same but then I will hit the lower body.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Swam again today, but swam a bit slower than I usually do. First 500 in full gear were just as fast as normal, but the rest was slower, so I've got to push it harder. Still finished 2000yds, but not in the same time I usually do, and I actually got to the facility earlier than normal. Anyway, that's my bad day for the next three weeks.

Tonight I did 300 situps and 300 pushups in alternating sets of 50. My new rep number is 50 for everything. 50 pushups, 50 flutterkicks, 50 situps, 50 arm haulers, etc. Then do however many sets of 50 I can do for the specific exercises I do each night. 50 is a nice even number, and much better repeated verbally than 30.B|

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

Another update. Swam again this morning, definitely faster than yesterday. Still dragging my ass, really need a day off sometime soon, but I'm still standing, so I can still push myself harder. Did my first 500yds in about 9 minutes, second 500 in about 10, then some kick development, and some hypoxic laps. Tonight was a full ab night, 300 situps and 300 flutterkicks. Can't do more because I have a bunch of chores to finish before I go to bed tonight, but at least I did the same numbers I did the other day.

Still at only 6 days on this thread, not quite time for a new one, but nobody's posting other than me. Come on, don't tell me everyone quit already?

I swam faster this morning, busted my ass for every single second I could take off my total times. And this evening, I did 300 situps, 300 pushups, 25 pullups and 25 chinups. Hoorah!

Reading your posts makes me feel like a slacker, Dude! :P I worked out last night and had a really good session with my trainer on Wednesday, a light workout on Tuesday, and skipped Monday because of a headache.

But honestly, with the holidays and stuff, I doubt I will hit the gym again until next Thursday. C'est la vie........... My goal is to limit my holiday weight gain to 5 pounds! :)

Went to mom and dad's gym with them yesterday ... where I was about half the average age. One of their friends asked "Can you keep up with your Momma and Daddy?" :ph34r: Love it, love that the gym here is busy with active retirees during the day and happy to be working out among them. :)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Worked out monday and tuesday, then took wednesday and thursday off. Headed back to the gym today. I have the kids this week so workouts will be cut a little short but I am still working on it. Haven't gained/haven't lost.....guess that is ok.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

That is the intention. I tend to inspire people to work out harder than they previously were. "If he can do it, I can do it." That kind of thing. I'm just about to sign off here and do a few hundred flutterkicks and situps, and probably some upper back reps as well. Just tomorrow left, and I will have been swimming and doing situps everyday this week, along with flutterkicks, pushups, and pullups on my alternating days.

As for the holidays, I'm going to try not to stop my usual routines. The pool will be closed on Tuesday, but that just means I have to brave the cold and the hills and go run the streets before sunrise. Then it's back to the pool on Wednesday. Going to start tapering off my workouts a little bit as of January 2nd or 3rd, because I ship out to CG Basic on the 8th, need to let my muscles and mind recover. Either way, Basic is going to be fun. Can't wait to be the old fart running circles around the young brats.

If you'd miss your workouts, then that's a good start. It means you're seeing fitness as enjoyable, and not a chore. I've seen it that way for many years now, and it really does help me stay truly motivated. To be honest, having been to the pool everyday this week to swim 2000yds, if I stopped for even a two days, I'd miss it too much, and I'd be forced to do a day full of jumping lunges or something. Call me crazy, but I actually feel like if I stop, something bad is going to happen.

OK, so completed 300 situps and 300 flutterkicks in 5 sets of 60 this time. Bumping up the reps per set, sticking with 60 as my new magic number. Then I did 200 arm haulers for upper back in 2 sets of 50 and one of 100. One more big swim day tomorrow, a little honing of my skills with a handgun, and another few hundred situps and pushups, and probably some pullups. Sunday is an off day, and back to the pool Monday.