fpritchett64

Hornet 190

Hi, just curious to see what everyone thinks. I'm looking for some used gear for sale and had a guy offer me an Infinity container with a hornet 190 main and a PD 176 reserve, cypres included and rsl. I know the equipment is used and they're asking 2700 for the complete rig, 2000 for the rig w/o the cypres, therefore, I know the cypres is going for 700.00. Also, I know I can get a new Infinity from VSE for 1350 so a used one should probably be less than 1000. Basically, how much do you think a used hornet should be worth considering I've seen some threads about new hornets at one time costing as little as $500.00 USD. Please give me some input.

Blue Skies

I'm waiting on dates of manufacture, wont get them till this weekend sometime. I was just wondering generally speaking what an average cost would probably run as I know the hornet is no longer being made, not sure exactly how long ago they stopped manufacturing but I'm sure it's gotta be fairly used unless someone just didn't ever jump it, but I'll definately post more info as I receive it.

According to your profile you have 10 jumps over 6 years and have an exit weight of 356lbs. An Hornet 190 will give you a wing loading of 1.87. perhaps you should get your A licence before loading up quite that high.

LOL try 190 lbs exit weight ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

According to your profile you have 10 jumps over 6 years and have an exit weight of 356lbs. An Hornet 190 will give you a wing loading of 1.87. perhaps you should get your A licence before loading up quite that high.

Lol..it's ok, some people never picked up math skills. Are you sure you're a DZO? How long have you been in business? Ever wonder why you're losing money instead of making it? Did you wonder how a person weighing 356 lbs was capable of jumping a PD 260 with only a 0.73:1 wing loading or did you not read my whole profile? Thanks for trying to rag on me, it was a good attempt, but not successful

I don't think he was trying to rag on you, just think there was a math error. ;)

I made the same mistake a first because I hit the wrong button on my calculator here at work. :P

You're exactly right, it probably was a math error, and an easy error to make, however the error probably would never have been made if he wasn't trying to find some way to look or sound smart on this post. He saw an opportunity and went for it.

I don't think he was trying to rag on you, just think there was a math error. ;)

I made the same mistake a first because I hit the wrong button on my calculator here at work. :P

You're exactly right, it probably was a math error, and an easy error to make, however the error probably would never have been made if he wasn't trying to find some way to look or sound smart on this post. He saw an opportunity and went for it.

Not to be a jerk, but, thinking a skydiving student weighs 356 pounds out the door is not the sign of someone who checks their work. ;)

That would be a VERY BIG boy. (Or girl.) :D

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Not enough information.

Need DOM's and number of jumps for all components. Also cypres status concerning 4 year and battery change.

Harness/Container:
Infinity
D.O.M. is Jan 2001, SN 6532, Size I-45.
The guy who had it was about 5'7" and it was snug on him.

The main:
Hornet 190
D.O.M. is April 2001. It has 140 jumps on it and is in very good condition.

Reserve:
PD 176r
D.O.M. is June 2001 SN 025222
To my knowledge it has no jumps on it.

Cypres:
D.O.M. is July 2002
SN 5051C665DCA2240
So it's coming up to its 4-year check soon and has 8 years left on it.

This is the info on the rig I was asking about. I know the cypres is going for 700.00, which I guess would be an ok price considering it still has 8 years, but is the rest of the rig worth $2000.00? considering I can buy a brand new Infinity for $1350.00? Any advice? I also know that Hornets are fairly cheap priced canopies, but I have heard nothing but good things about them

If everything is correct, that doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

New Gear packages, which typically don't include a Cypres run around $3500.00.

I started out with a set up much like this one. Still have the Infinity. Moved down to smaller canopy.

The Hornet's sold so cheaply for awhile because of the exchange rate between the US $ and the S. African Rand.
I really liked my Hornet.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

If everything is correct, that doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

New Gear packages, which typically don't include a Cypres run around $3500.00.

I started out with a set up much like this one. Still have the Infinity. Moved down to smaller canopy.

The Hornet's sold so cheaply for awhile because of the exchange rate between the US $ and the S. African Rand.
I really liked my Hornet.

Don't remember if this has been mentioned...
PLEASE get any used rig inspected by YOUR rigger as a requirement of the sale. (normally the buyer will pay this, but up to you and the seller)

Can't tell you how many "deals of the year" have been brought to me, where the rig looked good on paper but looked like sh!t during an inspection. (some of them looked bad on paper too, but you're already avoiding that by having this discussion.)

Jim
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...