rickjump1

Best Snowblower to Buy

I just PMd you the Consumer Reports ratings for snowblowers as a PDF. None of the two-stage models are 10hp, but there are some 9 and 9.5hp models for you to look at.

Notice that the top rated model is a Toro. We had a Toro walk-behind snowblower growing up in Northeastern Vermont - while that was a long time ago, I can vouch for the Toro being a kickass piece of gear. It outlasted me in our household (over six winters) and kept on going.

I hope that helps.
Arrive Safely

John

Sold my tractor and a blade would not be practicable close to the house and you still end up with piles of snow to push somewhere. I'm leaning toward one you walk behind that throws snow away from everything evenly.
Do your part for global warming: ban beans and hold all popcorn farts.

Finally tired of getting ever increasing snow removal bills I stopped at the local Sears last week. Picked up a Craftsman 9hp(Tecumseh), 28", 2 stage. Snowed 6" next day and had absolutely no problems removing it.
I personally have never been one to shop all over town looking to save a few bucks and will admit I bought this entirely on a whim. But, I'm happy and it did the job.
It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.

Thinking now of the Toro or the Honda except the Honda got bad grades in maueuvering. Thanks for all the input from everybody. The garage will be heated and it will be a while before the grass comes up. Gonna get some drought resistant grass that should not grow very fast. Fire danger gets high up here in the summer.

i have a craftsman 11hp, 31" and it works pretty good. a neighbour has a honda, not sure of the size, but the difference is amazing. his looks smaller and you can't hardly hear it, but it throws snow way farther than mine. mine is noisy as hell, is always vibrating bolts loose and seems like it's about to shake itself to pieces. and yes, before someone asks, i do follow all the maintenance procedures in the book and go over it from end to end every season, tightening and adusting. the honda just seems to be better engineered.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Thanks for the input. I have a Honda powered generator. Honda does seem to put a lot of effort in engineering. I would imagine it's a balancing act like the rotating parts of a helicopter.

i know what you mean. briggs and techumseh engines seem to run so much rougher. designed in the 50's and not much has changed. hondas just seem so much more.... refined. i had a tiny honda water pump that i used to fill a 1000 gallon tank. lifted the water about 10 feet through 20 feet of hose with hardly any effort. always started on the first pull and ran like a sewing machine. B|

"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

Just get a shovel and save your money for jumps. :P

I have been using a shovel. Right now I have orders not to jump off or out of anything until the shack is finished. My fractured heal hurt her worse than me (also hurt my ego under kiddy peer pressure at the time, but I did it to myself; my screw-up). If I can get the ball going again I might just get back in the air. She is 2000 miles away and I got all my gear.B|