ladyskydiver

Is it feasible (or maybe I should say sane?) to...

plan on driving approximately 5224 miles and visiting with people over the course of 19 days?

Since I'm done with work as of March 31st and going to be moving to St. Kitts, I want to see as many people as is possible before I leave. I'm in process of tentatively scheduling my drive and what I've come up with is a ton of driving with some of the driving days being an entire day. And one of the places, I'd only be there for a day visiting due to the other driving that needs to be done.

Is it feasible? Or should I cut out one of the stops to enjoy more time with some people?
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Though I'm not covering as many miles as you, I'm essentially doing the same thing... going out of my way to visit people and jump with people on my way to my new place of residence.:)

Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

Go for it Cora!

Change the oil, rotate the tires and check the air pressure and get on it.. Change oil again when you return or do it on the road.

Stock up on Red Bull, sign up for the hotel points program, and take the camera.
Throw an extra blanket, gloves and water and maybe misc. tools in case you break down in the cold.

The things you will see on the road.....let me tell ya....LOL

keep us updated on how it goes!!

be safe

When I did my road trip in 2005 here were my numbers for comparison:

Miles driven: 4,800
Days: 24

But I did have a couple big chunks of time where I didn't go anywhere.

6 of those days were spent on a whitewater rafting trip, and 3 1/2 were spent at one dropzone. The rest was one and two day stops in various places, so it's roughly comparable to your trip in time/distance traveled. I had a few days that were all day drives, but not that many - most were half days at worst, and when I'm alone that suits me best.

You know your own travel style best. Are you going to go nuts packing up every night and hitting the road every morning? Then figure out a route that has fewer stops and longer hauls. But if you'd rather see more people for shorter periods of time, then prepare to do lots of short hops.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yeah, it's a hell of a lot of driving, but definatly possible.

Back in College, I went on a road trip where we covered 5200 miles in 9 days. We drove from Colorado to Florida, all around florida, and back over spring break. We drove out there in a single day (well, 34 hours) and it sucked.

These days I try to limit my single day mileage to around 1000 miles or so. It take about 15 hours and I really cant get much further without serious awake issues.

So 5200 miles, 19 days? Definatly feasable. That's 5 big driving days and 14 days of hanging out. No problem. Of course you'll probably break it down into even smaller drives, which is even better.

Sane???? BWWWHHHAAAAA. Since when has that ever stopped any one of us?
Go forward and live your dreams Cora.
God, I will miss you.

And don't you dare have any "unauthorized fun" while you're in St. Kitts.
“The only fool bigger than the person who knows it all is the person who argues with him.

Stanislaw Jerzy Lec quotes (Polish writer, poet and satirist 1906-1966)

You better not cut me out of that trip! :o;)

I'm definitely sure you can do it, but the question is do you want to? If you decide yes, take your car to a mechanic to see if there is any reason why it wouldn't make the trip. There's nothing worse than breaking down in the middle of nowhere hoping that "Enterprise will pick you up." Be careful and cautious. Oh, and from previous experiences, pay at the pump. On one of my trips home from Phoenix, I left my debit card at my first gas stop (I wanted to pay cash for that fill-up). Thankfully, I had mom's credit card for food and future fill-ups.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Full dave of driving - 17 to 19 hours. :S

Gene - I'm going to miss you as well. By the way...what's "unauthorized fun?" :) Gotta know my limits. >:(:D

Oh, and Shari...you're one of my stops. :P

J and Shari - getting my car checked out will be a priority. Don't want to breakdown in the middle of BFE.

Tentatively, it's:

Wisconsin to Tennessee (see dad) - approx. 10 hour drive

Tennessee to Georgia (see family & friends - dz.commers) - approx. 5 hour drive

Georgia to Florida (see friends - non-dz.commers and dz.commers) - approx. 6 hour drive

Florida to Texas (see friends - dz.commers) - approx. 17 hour drive

Texas to Arizona (meet some dz.commers :P) - approx. 14 hour drive *Cali friends...this is as close as I'll be able to get this trip.

Arizona to Missouri (see mom) - approx. 19 hour drive

Missouri back to Wisconsin - approx. 8 hour drive

And when I get back that night, there's a "Goth going away party" (yes, we're going to go Goth :)) the night that I get back to Wisconsin.

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Jeez... when I said "full day of driving" I was only counting 10-11 hours. When I'm driving alone, I don't ever plan more than that. You may have more stamina than I do, but really, for safety's sake you may not want to plan longer stretches than that (unless you've got someone with you for those 17-19 hour driving days).

Break those three long stretches up. I think you'll enjoy the trip more. Find friends (or somewhere fun to visit) along the way.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I'll be driving by myself on the trip. I'm usually good for 12-14 hours and have no issues with energy the next day.

The 17 and 19 hour stretches are the ones I'm hesitant about. And, I do take breaks when driving. I have to for sanity's sake. :D

And that's why it's still "tentative." If I don't have to work on March 31st, I'm going to head out 2 days early which will allow me to break up more of the driving.

Exactly what NWflyer said. The longest I will drive by myself is 13 hours in a day(15 if someone else is with me) If weather is a factor I will only drive about 8-10hours at a time.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

The longest one sitting drive that I ever did was Orlando to the top of Illinois. About 23 hours. As far as the trip you have planned, very doable. Try to figure out where you have friends along the way incase you need to stop for a break, or a shower or a nights sleep. You can count me in on that, I'm in Illinois.
This summer French Whore, Tall Slut and I drove straight thru to Texas, spent a couple of days with Jay, and came home to Illinois. Our car broke down in St Louis while we were talking to AirBoss 2, he called AirBoss 1 who lived in St. Louis and invited us to a night at his house. Pays to have good skydiving buds.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Oh, and another tip (like you don't already know)... Get plenty of sleep! Don't be an idiot like me and try to do a 15-16 hour drive from Phoenix to Austin with little (or no) sleep. I made it to Las Cruces, NM before checking in to a sleazy Super 8 to sleep for 12 hours. I learned my lesson...

Moral of the story - if you have hot, steamy, gorilla sex planned, do it a few days before you plan on driving home, not the day before. :|

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

Tennessee to Georgia (see family & friends - dz.commers) - approx. 5 hour drive ]

Long as you get that done... After that.. It does not matter cause we are going to keep you!!;):P:D:D

PLEASE!!!!! come see us. I need a cora hug.:)

:$:D So...I'll be a kept woman, huh? ;):P:D:D:D

Oh...you'll get your Cora hug....plus maybe a slap on the ass just 'cause. :)>:(

Oh, and another tip (like you don't already know)... Get plenty of sleep! Don't be an idiot like me and try to do a 15-16 hour drive from Phoenix to Austin with little (or no) sleep. I made it to Las Cruces, NM before checking in to a sleazy Super 8 to sleep for 12 hours. I learned my lesson...

Moral of the story - if you have hot, steamy, gorilla sex planned, do it a few days before you plan on driving home, not the day before. :|

Hot, steamy, gorilla sex? Sounds awesome...just don't have any of that lined up. [:/]

Hot, steamy, gorilla sex? Sounds awesome...just don't have any of that lined up. [:/]

You could ask for some of that publically. I'm SURE some skydiver can help you out. :o:D

The two most common reasons for a road-side breakdown during a trip like this are: Cooling system failure (popped radiator or hose, water pump failure), & fan belt failure. If it hasn't been done in the last 3-4 years, have the cooling system flushed & new coolant added. If the car has over 50K miles on it, have ALL the hoses replaced (not just the ones from engine to radiator, but any "by-pass" hoses & heater hoses!), & have a new belt(s) installed.

Wow, I'm glad I don't have to travel with any of you light-weights! At 24 hours, I'm just hitting my stride. At around 30 hours however, I need to stop for a 90-120 minute nap.

My GF lives 1275 miles away. I make that run in about 19 hours. Leave here at around 10PM, arrive in Shirley, Ar just after 4PM.

My new truck ('04 Chevy Colorado) only goes about 420 miles between fill-ups, but gets 25-26MPG highway. My old 78 F-100 carried 40 gallons. It would go almost 600 miles between gas stops! Made quite a few non-stop runs from here (NJ) to DeLand or Z-hills, & from here to southern NM in that old thing.
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

You'd damn well better let me know when you're going to be in FL! Missy and I will make sure to pull you aside for another round of roadtrip surf & turf. B|

Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I'd say you need a stop in NC, but who'm I kidding? I'm never here.

Just let me know when you're in GA. :)
The 17 and 19 hour drives may be a bit much, but if you do do them, call us and we'll keep you awake. :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.