SeanSolo

Hollister -VS- Skydive Monterey Bay: Where is the LOVE!

I think I should have wrote "love them all" not jump ;)

That really doesn't make it any clearer, Seb. :D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Why not organise a DZ drop in, take a load of jumpers from H-town and land in SMB, spend the day there partying, then next months SMB returns the favour

this is a great idea. i'ma run it past Dail and see what she thinks
Cookie Firecrotch
"Don't you know who I am!? I'm the Juggernaut Bitch!"

Who's the rigger at SMB now? ...and that plane is insanely fast.

Mako is the rigger now.

i probably shouldn't have learned in the King Air cause now i'm gonna be completely spoiled everywhere i go! "WHAT! ITS LONGER THAN 7 MINUTES! LET ME OUT, DAMMIT, LET ME OUT!"

...i wouldn't get out...
Cookie Firecrotch

Break the chain, jump em all!! B|

Are you refering to people or places? :)

dammit beth beat me to the punch... line. man, that was a perfect set up too.

i'll do my best to jump em all though. *whispering and rubbing hands together in a maniacally evil way* yes, all of them.
Cookie Firecrotch

I'll take my business to hollister. maybe they have changed their policy. tandems first. i was not let on a tandem load in a C-206. the C-206 was for tandems only. so after a 2 hour drive, i watched the plane leave with 1 tandem aboard. that was their policy. just the facts.

and i agree. i jumped there for many years. they only have the king air now. greg didn't want up jumpers during the week unless enough to fill the king air. i spoke to both patti and greg. i brought up the policy on dropzone. if anything is discussed without mentioning that they are the best dzo in the entire country, they take it personnel. it was their policy.

It is funny to read this post, especially now. I too worked at both DZs and there was always a bit of a rivalry. Of course, when I worked at Hollister, it was owned by the Nardis who now own SMB or last I heard.

There was some real as the prop turns at both DZs (I am sure that goes for most DZs). Back in the day, Hollister was pretty happenin but experienced jumpers would get bumped off for tandems on occassion. If you were banned from one DZ, you most surely wound up at the other. There was a lot of back and forth for a lot of people.

I moved to SMB mainly for the weather. I liked the A/C being a packer and close proximity to the ocean. I had mixed emotions about the Hollycoaster van ride, sometimes the van ride was fun, sometimes it was a necessary evil.

I worked for Jessie for a few years before moving to Hawaii and I very much enjoyed working for Jess. I also had good times working for the Nardis. It is weird how small our world is because now Doug and Jackie are out here in Missouri... :S I thought I was the only SMB/Hollisterite capable of moving to Missouri.

Anyhow, a great group of people, loads of fun although I am sure they are not the same people now, maybe some familiar faces.

Sunset Bill, Laura Mullen, Mr. Freeze are just a few favorites still around. I am sure I'll make my way up there to revisit as I am moving back to Cali this year. I'll be mostly southern though so I'll most likely be at Perris or Elsinore.

But to answer your question ...

It is all As the prop turns if you ask me. Break the frickin cycle and break out the green bottles. And, just ask one another ... Can't we all just get a bong?

Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

My advice, once you feel ready to leave your home DZ, is to travel around and try out the other places.

This is the key...WHEN YOU FEEL READY TO LEAVE YOUR HOME DZ. SMB used to be NorCal's home DZ and gradually people migrated over the course of 2 years or so back in about '99-2000...now it's an issue of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". (I mean this in no form of antagonistic manner) Why don't you jump at Hollister regularly? Or at Byron, or Lodi? Cause they aren't your home DZ's. I'll go to events, but ultimately end up back at home.

There may have been bad blood in the past, but the players have changed. I have no reason NOT to go there. I just have no reason TO go there.

-S

Edited to add: When I DO go there, I'll look forward to jumping with you. ;)

Somewhere around the turn of the century I jumped at Skydive Monterrey Bay. I was a nube at the time and traveling. Didn't have all my stuff. Asked if I could borrow some goggles, an altimeter, and a helmet. (A common practice at the place I was then jumping.) I was told I could rent all three for $5.00. Each. Per jump. I spent $15 (three jumps) on altimeter rentage, wore my sunglasses and went without a helmet for the first time.

I was also told you could pack inside if you paid an entrance fee. Swore I wouldn't go back and haven't.

And yes, I know, that was then and this is now. And it was the turn of the century, like I said, before everyone had a cell phone and flat screen TV.

I do have a waiver on file at Hollister, but never jumped there. Wx moved in. Too bad cause I got a good vibe from hanging around.
Shit happens. And it usually happens because of physics.

Good ole Mike Souza ... :D

He saw me have my first pilot chute and tow after a freefly jump. I damn near smacked him when he tried to fly up and help me by pulling my reserve handle for me. :D:D:D

He was there for me though. He was a pretty nice guy! I haven't jumped out at Doug's place. I have called those guys but they never called me back so I just figured they were doing their own thing. They are out at Rolla which isn't too far but I think they are mostly a small Cessna DZ.

Nowadays, I am way too spoiled to jump out of a non-turbine aircraft. The only place I enjoy jumping out of Cessnas is for formation Cessna loads over Skydive Hawaii. Now that is a good time! ;)

Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

the feeling that i get from various jumpers and most postings concerning nor cal skydiving is that hollister hates skydive monterey bay and vice versa. but the overall general feeling i get from all of us skydivers is that its a big family affair. so why have bad blood. just jump. what happened in the past that a couple cases of hefeweizen cant make u forget?

As with most of these things, you'll find that it's not the actions of the jumpers that have caused the animosity, but rather those of the owners. Don't bother with any reconciliation,. The jumpers are already reconciled. Just jump where you can have fun.

In other words, come jump at Byron B|

Good ole Mike Souza ... :D

He saw me have my first pilot chute and tow after a freefly jump. I damn near smacked him when he tried to fly up and help me by pulling my reserve handle for me. :D:D:D

He was there for me though. He was a pretty nice guy! I haven't jumped out at Doug's place. I have called those guys but they never called me back so I just figured they were doing their own thing. They are out at Rolla which isn't too far but I think they are mostly a small Cessna DZ.

Yup, I know their in Rolla (wherever the heck that is - I think I saw it on a map). No, they seem to have their friends and are not good about calling people unless immediate family or for business....or at least that is what I can figure out.