legalart

News Story re Jeb Corliss Wingsuit Landing

The local news in San Diego just ran a short (30 second) piece wherein Jeb Corliss stated he will attempt to land a wingsuit on a 2 million dollar ramp in Las Vegas within two months.

Now lets parse those words carefully; Note that he didn't say he would be in the suit when it lands.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I don't doubt that it's possible to do it and walk away from it afterward, but personally I'd much rather walk away *before*.

More power to him--successful or not, it's gonna be spectacular.

Walt

walt, if you line the ramp w/ your pillowy-soft poo, jeb will have a greater chance of not dying... well, not dying from the landing anyway. :o

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Those things that are made of bones found in the stone that were placed to test our faith in God and creationism but never really existed.?:D:P

I saw a cute cartoon once: A bunch of cavemen are gathered around a huge dinosaur skeleton, admiring it while one caveman stands there proudly. One of the bystanders to another:

"Ugg use the bones of twenty cows to build that thing!"

:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I think it could be done you just need a big long ramp at the right angle, that matches the fall rate. The metal frame would let him land and skid to a stop. ;)

Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone!

I like to start my day off with a little Ray of Soulshine™!!

I think it could be done you just need a big long ramp at the right angle, that matches the fall rate. The metal frame would let him land and skid to a stop. ;)

right ,,, i follow that...:|

it's surprising that so few here, have any confidence in this idea.....>:(

It seems that wingsuiting has been evolving,,
and is heading to a point where one may safely be landed...

Couple that with the BASE experiences of Mr Corliss, and you have a good candidate to try it.

Skydiving wingsuiters who have never flown in the same close proxity to Earth,, as do Base suiters... might likely be 'freaked out' by that very nearness to solid objects, that they wouldn't be a good choice...Corliss on the other hand seems 'within himself' in that situation...
Plainly put,,, this is a technical thing....
i think it's all about slope, and distance, and run-out, and momentum arrest.... etc...

When he matches the angle of the runway, and can 'touch down to it', then the tough stuff begins,,,
I'd guess he had to bleed off his velocity, in a very controlled way..

it seems that the surface of the runway will be KEY... will it be thousands of 10 or 12 foot long 2" diameter rollers???? laid close to one another, and Perpendicular to the length of the 'runway' ? ( much like material handling roller runways )

Will the surface, consist of some specialty material to slooowly de-accelerate him ?,,,,maybe custom length, 'astro-turf fibers', or soft rubber fingers,,,, which can be 'gripped' with fingers or toes,much the same way that a child, lying prone on a snow sled, can 'dig in',,,, as needed..or maybe a runway surface that sloughs off, as he barrels along on it,,,, giving way as needed, but absorbing energy in doing so.....a controlled arrest, based on the composition and density of that surface itself...
remember,,, the landing will be accomplished onto his chest and belly,, and I'd guess, might finish off with something of a 'track' position... in which case, the hands and feet Could be used to "grab " the runway,,,,eventually burning off all the momentum , which will require a pretty long, run out...

It will take lots of finesse, good depth
perception
and great skills to get into the point near the entry end of the runway, where the plan can continue...
it will be interesting to see how this goes...

jmy