shortyj

Why do people lie about skydiving?

No video so it never happened

check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eejQPUyeNiY

my opinion is that lying is apart of most people's everyday life, but i have found that most habitual liars mainly lie to make others view them in a better way than they view themselves, and mostly for attention...being an x-habitual liar, i can say that NOTHING good came from it...

my two cents for whatever its worth...oh and whats up Billy? When we gonna get that jump in?...i was at the Farm last Friday!...me and the wife had a blast!! missed ya!
"More marriages might survive if the partners realized that sometimes the better comes after the worse."

The same reason people lie about anything else. To get attention.

Who cares. They are insecure losers who need to impress people. Does it really hurt you in any way?

Besides even non-skydivers will likely figure this person out. Bullshitters have a certain style, body language, expression that gives them away. If someone is lying to me even about a subject I know nothing about I can still usually tell that the person is full of shit.

Either way. There is no real harm done.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

Not completely implausible. I know a guy who got turned down by a couple of DZs who didn't want to train him because he was deaf. So he went B.A.S.E. jumping instead. This was out in Idaho and eastern Washington though. Of course, he didn't have the most graceful landings. :D

Why wouldn't the DZ train him? Cleveland had a deaf mute Amish guy that they trained to skydive. He made jumps every now and then. I moved away a few years ago, don't know if he still jumps. I believe he was an outcast in his community because of his disabilities and he enjoyed hanging around the DZ because the kid got more respect.

Not completely implausible. I know a guy who got turned down by a couple of DZs who didn't want to train him because he was deaf. So he went B.A.S.E. jumping instead. This was out in Idaho and eastern Washington though. Of course, he didn't have the most graceful landings. :D

Why wouldn't the DZ train him? Cleveland had a deaf mute Amish guy that they trained to skydive. He made jumps every now and then. I moved away a few years ago, don't know if he still jumps. I believe he was an outcast in his community because of his disabilities and he enjoyed hanging around the DZ because the kid got more respect.

Not to hijack this thread, but while we're on the subject, the most impressive thing I've seen skydiving is watching Dan Rossi skydive. He is a totally blind skydiver that learned to jump while blind. He has hundreds of jumps and he even packs his own parachute. THAT is impressive.

I heard (or rather, read) about him. :)
The guy I was talking about told me what he went through. I'm guessing ignorance of the disability, as in they did not want to go the extra mile to facilitate the communication needed to train him. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It really gets on my nerves>:( I only have 3 jumps and I don't say I am skydiver (yet)

A few months ago this guy was yapping about how he was a jumper and he's done this and that in skydiving, Did this many jumps etc. So I am just listening and going along and trying to be excited about it. I didn't bring up that I jump or have jumped, he brought this up bragging to his buddy and me. ( it's funny what alcohol will do to people)
I am just trying to contain my self until the other bartender comes up and hears the conversation and says that I have a few thousand jumps. Well the guy starts back tracking and says the he has done a couple of tandems and really wants to be a skydiver. RIIIIGHT
BIG difference form what he was saying before.
Needless to say he paid the bill and left shortly after that. Probably because I called him out on a thing or two.
People will lie to make them look cool when the are really just fucktards. and they think that being skydiver will make them look cool.

dave
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

... but probably the best reason is that they don't have a good enough story on their own.

Or don't think they have a 'good enough story'.

And good enough for what? Good enough to be thought a decent person? Good enough to be friends with? Good enough to be liked and accepted?

Such a shame that people have such low self-esteem they feel they have to make shit up to be liked....

Did I mention my death defying expedition across the Skeleton Coastin a wheelchair?
Next Mood Swing: 6 minutes

Several of us were packing in the hangar last summer and the dzo was talking on the phone at manifest. When she hung up she started laughing and said something like, "that guy is so busted." She had been talking to a woman who's date from the previous night was going on about being a skydiver so she called just to asked questions about the stuff he was saying. Guess the guy didn't know much. Also guess you don't have to be a skydiver to bust somebody on it.
What is the stat? Less than one per cent of people ever even try it much less continue. In most cases it would seem your odds are pretty good of getting away with.
It's a gift, I don't try to explain it.

What question do u guys ask to find out if some is lying about skydiving, do you just play stupid? And call them out on it or just walk away and try to keep the laughter to yourself:D

play along, all stupid, all in awe.. keep the laughter to myself!

Play stupid until they've got themselves completely and irrecoverably into their story, THEN call them out. I think my favorite was while I was laid over in Denver, sitting in a bar. Two guys were telling the girl next to me everything there was to know about skydiving, 90% of it wrong and much of it just plain silly, apparently not noticing that I was wearing a dropzone "staff" shirt and that my rig was sitting on the chair between her and I. :D

I know another guy who actually is (or at least was) a jumper, who was incurable. He'd claim world records and inflate his jump number 10-20x, which was silly because the 2 or 3 hundred he really had would still impress a whuffo. He'd tell the girls how he'd take them on a tandem the next day, with me sitting right next to him, both of us knowing it'd be me taking her. A few times they actually showed up, at which point he'd feign a headcold or some such thing. I always laughed it off, till he tried telling me that he'd been the one to get me into the sport, had been my jumpmaster, and was proud of what I've accomplished. I met him at the DZ when I had like 5 jumps and he had 15. I've got all the instructor ratings and he's never had one. That time...I had to call BS on him. :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I was 5' 10 and 3/4 " till a few yrs ago. Now I'm 5'10". Damn. I'm shrinking.

I've always claimed being 6', just because it's easier to say/write than 5' 11.5". I suspect I may have lost that half inch since I started jumping, but it's not a big enough deal for me to bother checking or changing my standard answer. Of course, unlike many women, I *do* report my weight honestly on my driver's license and on DZ waivers. :o

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

What question do u guys ask to find out if some is lying about skydiving, do you just play stupid? And call them out on it or just walk away and try to keep the laughter to yourself:D

play along, all stupid, all in awe.. keep the laughter to myself!

Play stupid until they've got themselves completely and irrecoverably into their story, THEN call them out. I think my favorite was while I was laid over in Denver, sitting in a bar. Two guys were telling the girl next to me everything there was to know about skydiving, 90% of it wrong and much of it just plain silly, apparently not noticing that I was wearing a dropzone "staff" shirt and that my rig was sitting on the chair between her and I. :D

I know another guy who actually is (or at least was) a jumper, who was incurable. He'd claim world records and inflate his jump number 10-20x, which was silly because the 2 or 3 hundred he really had would still impress a whuffo. He'd tell the girls how he'd take them on a tandem the next day, with me sitting right next to him, both of us knowing it'd be me taking her. A few times they actually showed up, at which point he'd feign a headcold or some such thing. I always laughed it off, till he tried telling me that he'd been the one to get me into the sport, had been my jumpmaster, and was proud of what I've accomplished. I met him at the DZ when I had like 5 jumps and he had 15. I've got all the instructor ratings and he's never had one. That time...I had to call BS on him. :D

Blues,
Dave

a skydving mate and me do this all the time.. sometimes one becomes even DZO! :D:D:D
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

HAhaha, shortyj your post sounds exactly like a conversation I JUST HAD at work... Haha wow... Went something like this:

I was talking to my manager about 4th of July and how I wanted to go to Taste of Chicago, and then head down to skydive chicago.

Then a new coworker butts in and tells me he's been there. Which he actually has, I know this because his other friend who works with us told me about how they would go and WATCH the skydivers, and drink beer.

He then tells me he's probably jumped "25 or so times.. A few tandems, but then I jumped out the back of a C-130 with like 50 other people. I even jumped with a camera on my head.. I'll have to show you the video, but its at my parents' house.."

I then asked him if he got licensed. He said he 'went to the building they teach skydiving classes at, but didn't finish the class.'

I then asked him where he jumped and he told me "oh, different convetions. There was like a ton of other skydivers around, and I would just borrow their 'chutes." [these 'different conventions' are located in Indiana-- I can think of one big boogie here, and I'm sure they don't let bullshit like unlicensed jumpers going on larger formation jumps.

He then went on to tell me about his 50-way jump (he obviously didn't term it 50-way), and how to land he would just run until he 'slowed down enough to stop the parachute'

He said his friend's dad owned a plane, and they would also take it out and make jumps, and his friend's dad would just land the plane in SOMEONES's corn or bean fields.. [WTF?] Regular corn landings can't be too good on a plane..

I asked him how his friend's dad taught him to jump. He said "he just told me like how to do it, and when to pull the 'chute."

I asked him if any of the following rang a bell:
Static line- 'No'
AFF- 'Is that like the organization that makes rules?'
Flare- 'No.'
ARCH- 'No, maybe they use different terms.'

He then told me he just catches on to everything he does really quickly, as he fucked up a customer's sandwich.

I called him out on it in the beginning, but when he kept insisting, I just let it go. Some people need to validate themselves, I guess?

Im kinda hoping that nobody tries to ever bullshit me about skydiving because Im the type that will hear one bogus remark and just start bust out laughing very loudly at them while they make the :| face. Not because Im a bitch, but because it would be my first reaction.

I would do that then tear into them like House, I only have 27 jumps so try to watch my mouth on skydiving stuff since I know that I am barely one myself.
However, if the situation arises where someone is obviously bullshitting I will definitely call that person out by laughing at them and then make fun of them for a few seconds.
"If you don't like your job, you don't strike! You just go in every day, and do it really half assed. That's the American way."
- Homer Simpson