airdvr

Doorbell question

OK...I have a non-working doorbell. When I connect the white wires to the chime unit it just buzzes. A friend of mine told me to check the low-voltage transformer but dammit, I can't find one. House is relatively new...built in 2000. What are the chances the transformer is built in to the chime unit?
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I did say water heater, didn't I... meant the furnace closet. if you have one, though furnace could be in the attic. hmmm, I've seen them undernieth the breaker panel before, inside with all the breakers. if you don't find it anywhere else, might want to check around your breakers. if you are going to take the panel off, be very careful not to touch screwdriver to any of the leads. wear some gloves for a lil extra protection.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

OK...I have a non-working doorbell. When I connect the white wires to the chime unit it just buzzes. A friend of mine told me to check the low-voltage transformer but dammit, I can't find one. House is relatively new...built in 2000. What are the chances the transformer is built in to the chime unit?

50/50 chance it is in the chime
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

If it is the old bong-bong sounding chime, it is most likely that the solenoid is stuck or dead. Take off the over and see if the hammer slides back and forth. Might just take a little help to get it loose and it will work fine.

They are pretty cheap to replace. Get one of those cool programmable ones that play music or have barking dogs while you are not at home.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Took the cover off to get to the wiring. There are spring loaded hammers that I can move easily with my fingers. WHen I connect the wire one hammer just activates and stays down against the chime.

Anyone know if the smoke alarm system would be wired with the same low voltage transformer as the doorbell? I found what looks like a transformer on top of one of the smoke detectors in the basement. And, if it is my detectors are all working...would that mean that the transformer is not malfunctioning?

Ah, the joys of homeownership ;)

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

OK...I have a non-working doorbell. When I connect the white wires to the chime unit it just buzzes.

Hang a sign next to the doorbell that says; "Please knock."

I have one that says "text me"

:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

WHen I connect the wire one hammer just activates and stays down against the chime.

You are getting power from the transformer. Sounds like the button to ring the bell is stuck in the "on" position. Take the wires off the button and see if that stops the buzzing. If it does, replace the button.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

WHen I connect the wire one hammer just activates and stays down against the chime.

You are getting power from the transformer. Sounds like the button to ring the bell is stuck in the "on" position. Take the wires off the button and see if that stops the buzzing. If it does, replace the button.

OR get a wireless battery operated model and quit spending the time trying to figure it out.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun