mostwanted

student container vs. big container

Nothing really if your just talking size.

But a student rig might have an sos cutway and adjustable MLW have a ripcord or aff boc and handles,SL pocket,but a sport rig wouldn't unless you ordered it that way.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Lots of good answers already; here's a couple more:

-Condition. If you're buying a used student rig to use as your first sport rig, it will likely have a lot of jumps and will show a lot of wear. Student's don't consistently deploy in a stable body position, land on target, or land on their feet like experienced jumpers. If this is the case, have your Rigger give it a fine-toothed-comb inspection before making any commitment.

-Student main canopies are very docile and forgiving, and their design and line trim takes into account student canopy piloting errors in an effort to make the canopy as safe as possible for students. This along with a light wing loading makes for a great student canopy. A very small shift in size to a canopy designed for sport jumpers would result in a canopy you could jump comfortably for a long time. An example: a PD Navigator is designed for students. A PD Silhouette is designed for sport jumpers. The airfoil designs are very similar, but the line trim is different. If a student learned to skydive on a Navigator 240 at a very conservative wing loading, a shift to a Silhouette 230 with proper coaching (in my opinion) would result in a canopy choice that student could jump for a long time while refining canopy piloting skills.

If you can give us the context of your question - your reason behind asking it - we might be able to help a little more.
Arrive Safely

John

thanks all for your input.

If you can give us the context of your question - your reason behind asking it - we might be able to help a little more.

i made my AFF last year - until now 31 skydives - will get my first canopy next week...

it is a Super Raven III (DOM 1990) - wingload will be around 0.7 - you may think that i am crazy - this is the reason for my decision: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2109414

and now i am searching for an adequate container to put that big, docile canopy in.

any suggestions?

note: i am 179 cm (5'10") and 63 kg (140 lbs).

PS: do you think my exit-weight-calculation is correct?

138 lbs. (weight) + 32 lbs. (gear, clothing, helmet,...) = 170 lbs. (exit-weight)

No it's clearly not. And at 31 jumps you should not be having to ask that kind of question. Added to the other questions it unfortunately makes me think your level of knowledge is well short of where it should be prior to making the decisions you are trying to make. Please spend some time educating yourself (and not by asking questions on the internet) about this sport and BASE jumping before you make serious mistakes that will harm either your pocketbook of yourself.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

No it's clearly not. And at 31 jumps you should not be having to ask that kind of question. Added to the other questions it unfortunately makes me think your level of knowledge is well short of where it should be prior to making the decisions you are trying to make. Please spend some time educating yourself (and not by asking questions on the internet) about this sport and BASE jumping before you make serious mistakes that will harm either your pocketbook of yourself.

thank you for your answer and your recommendations.

could you please tell me what mistake i made in my calculation? thank you.

Exit weight calculation looks right to me.

Doing a canopy control course with your new canopy would be a good idea, if you are thinking of progressing to BASE at some point you'll really want to know how to fly and land your canopy accuarately.

As you've already seen there are as many opinions as there are posters on dz.com :P

From your other posts it looks like you are getting advice from BASE people who know what they are talking about when in comes to canopy choice. It'd be a good idea to discuss your questions about choosing a container with your instructors too.

Ask your instructor +/or BASE jumpers at your DZ for suggestions on canopy skills to work on. Learn as much about packing as possible and see if you can spend some time with your rigger to watch him/her packing reserves too.

Even if BASE is your long term goal, don't forget to enjoy your skydiving B|

Don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things!

Possilbly different AAD installed?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Older student rigs used KAP3, Sentinel or FXC 8000 AADs.
All the student rigs - built during the last decade - can accommodate electronic ADDs like Cypres and Vigil.
Many Master Riggers can update older containers to accept Cypres.

I wouldn't suggest buying a used student container. Yes, they can be had for cheap but as slotperfect mentioned, most used student containers have been "well used." In addition they will likely have options that you don't need and that may introduce additional wear areas - adjustable main lift web, reserve side JM main deployment set up, possibly even main ripcord setups.

Better to buy a used sport container sized to fit the canopies you'll be jumping. Since you're planning to jump an all F111 main and most all of the container sizing charts out there only reference zp mains, you need to know that generally you can go up one size in main canopy if you're jumping all F111 in the same container - ie a container built to hold a 170 sq ft zp main will hold a 190 sq ft F111 main no problem.

You can find container sizing charts on most manufacturer's websites.

thanks for your post.

Since you're planning to jump an all F111 main and most all of the container sizing charts out there only reference zp mains, you need to know that generally you can go up one size in main canopy if you're jumping all F111 in the same container - ie a container built to hold a 170 sq ft zp main will hold a 190 sq ft F111 main no problem.

i already found a canopy size chart here on dz.com
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2110654#2110654

if the information listed in that chart is correct my Super Raven III (with dacron lines) should need nearly the same volume as a spectre 190 with spectra-lines.

maybe someone has got a similar "all-manufacturer-container-comparison-chart"?

that would be great!

edited to add: "...with spectra-lines"

if the information listed in that chart is correct my Super Raven III (with dacron lines) should need nearly the same volume as a spectre 190.

That sounds about right. The "one size bigger" rule doesn't take dacron lines vs microlines into account.