Katrinka

uk import charges for skydiving gear

hi guys!
I need your help!
im going to ship my gear ( container, reserve and cypres) from usa to uk. Does some one from uk or usa know about current import charges and codes (!!!!) and what is the min cost of gear can be mentioned by sender so import charges would be so high?

[:/] help! i get lost in all this mes of info about this case...
Its time to rock&roll.

Hi Katrinka,

In 2 words, very expensive.

You have to pay VAT at 17.5% and import duty which varies according to what it is (I don't know what it would be for Skydiving gear)

Most people go over on a cheap flight for a long weekend and still save money or find someone who would be willing to bring it back for you for a small fee.

hope this helps

Well, what Andybilly said.

Should you want to do things legally and calculate what the import tax will be, You need this:

8804 Parachutes, rotochutes; parts & accessories dirigible parachutes
880400 Parachutes (including dirigible parachutes) rotoch

Which is the so called "harmonised system code"
When you ask the British customs (or whatever they are called overthere) they / somebody should be able to tell you what percentage the tax is for whatever harmonised system code from whatever foreign country...
(But in this day and age you should be able to Google to a site, I guess...)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Answer: Don't do it! Going over there is cheaper and you get some warm sunny jumping too... but do get the manufacturer / dealer to ship it to an out of state DZ to avoid the 8% in state sales tax...

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

What has been done in the past is the dealers buy it first, and then when you buy it it's 2nd hand gear and not liable for taxes.

But people have quite happily physically taken stuff through customs fine. Ive heard of one person bringing back two whole tandem rigs and not paying any tax.

Btw, if you order from skydive Jersey you dont directly pay any tax, you have to declare it yourself to to Inland revenue (then the declaration is up to you.. on your head be it if you dont declare it, cos they wont search for you). Plus theres no import duty.

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

I wasn't in a position to go to the US due to work commitments, but my dealer (based in Spain) had someone who could go and pick it up for me, for a fee.

The fee wasn't small, but it was minor compared to the ridiculous import duties. Given that I couldn't leave myself, it was a no-brainer.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Start asking lots of different people if they know a trustworthy person who could bring the gear back with them. Obviously it would only be fair to offer some form of gratuity, but this will always be cheaper than paying VAT and import duty.

Provide details of where you're getting the gear from, when its ready, what it is and then start begging!

Best of british!

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious

I know the Sunshine Factory have a few brits working for them (the owner is a brit himself) and often have people going to/from the UK. If you ask them about getting something back to the UK their reply is "Not a problem". B|

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

I bought a bonehead helmet a while back, and even with import duties it was still a good deal better. I've also heard that some US dealers that visit UK will chance it for you as hand luggage for a small throw. What are you buying, because I just got a new canopy in the UK as cheap as I could of got it in USA. Try Jess at The Jump Shop a UK Parachuting, Norfolk.

If you can't pick it up yourself or have someone take it with him, send it from a person not a business. If you're buying from a dealer they will usually not put a lower value on the package. If you ship from the dealer to a person in the States to you, that person can put a way lower value on the package and send the bill separately. Then if you have to pay import duties (and for us Dutchies, just about EVERY package get taxed these days, don't know if its the same for you guys) you pay much less.
You also have to pay taxes and import duties over shipping costs BTW.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

thank you, guys and girls!
I have found all you advices very helpful as soon as phone number that I have found in the NET
08450109000- choice 3 for customer services for import -export tax and duty rates. if you dont know the code for your good- call to +44(0)1702366077 and also they will tell you the rates.
As I was told - any equipment no mater used or not in usa is charged as new one as it considered as new in the uk, no matter from whom you get it -person or business, for which purposes -personal or business this gear will be charged.
so here two decisions- to show lower cost of gear or ask someone to bring it...;)
Its time to rock&roll.