JustChuteMeNow

Being a mean or nice poster

It does make me uncomfortable when a poster gets attacked for little or no reason. IMO positive vibes are always better than negative vibes. What do you all think?

ya I agree, playfull fun is ok but just to be mean is not so for those who want to attack, just remember this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=609ry15lzMo

:D:D
(I.C.D#2 VP)
""I'm good with my purple penis straw" ~sky mama

IMO positive vibes are always better than negative vibes. What do you all think?

I agree. I also think you're the nicest costume-wearing Bambi killer that I've ever met. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

It does make me uncomfortable when a poster gets attacked for little or no reason. IMO positive vibes are always better than negative vibes. What do you all think?

I think "mean" is frequently in the eye of the beholder.

I think that written communication via the internet is tricky and most users lack the nuance in their writing or reading skills to understand the difference between a "joke" and an actual attack.

I think that if a word has two connotations, that whichever one is worse in the eye of the reader will frequently be the one that is assumed.

I also think that if you're going to try to use symbol substitution; for example "f---" because you don't want to offend somebody, that you're not fooling anyone and might as well just say "fuck." Come on, we're all adults here and if someone under the age of 13 has slipped in then their parents really should pay more attention to what their kids are doing.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I agree. I also think you're the nicest costume-wearing Bambi killer that I've ever met. ;)

Well saying such nice things is certainly one of the reasons that this killer thinks skymama is so GREAT! :)
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

I think "mean" is frequently in the eye of the beholder.

I think that written communication via the internet is tricky and most users lack the nuance in their writing or reading skills to understand the difference between a "joke" and an actual attack.

I absolutely agree with you. People can and do get their feelings hurt too easily based on the nuaunces of written communication over the internet. Sometimes the tone of the sender is much harder to interpret; however, many times the spirit of mean can not be misinterpteted.

I guess what I am most concerned about is the attacks that can't be misinterpreted. The internet will always have problems with the former.
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

Well, from my point of view, the first frequently leads to the latter, the situation escalates and before you know it . . . chaos ensues.

Once again I agree with you. Little things can escalate in a hurry and misunderstanding is a frequent cause of the escalation. However, the environment of a place does help set the tone. For instance if I write something mean and 20 people send me a PM telling me that I was being an asshole that is a different environment than 20 people getting on the bandwagon and helping me to be mean.

In the first scenario I might think that I stepped over the line and offer an apology. Of course I might do nothing. However, I believe that public opinion MIGHT help me contrubute to better behavior in the future. If on the other hand I am part of an environment where posters help feed on other posters meaness then again IMO it isn't a postive environment.

If the scenario was changed a little bit, the 20 people might post and say "Hey I don't think so and so meant any thing bad" and they might help quell........... the impending chaos.:)

a poster gets attacked for little or no reason

Rarely is there a reaction without an action. The reason may not be apparent to everyone, but the attacking poster - in his or her mind - usually has a reason.

Not necessarily a GOOD reason, but a reason.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

a poster gets attacked for little or no reason

Rarely is there a reaction without an action. The reason may not be apparent to everyone, but the attacking poster - in his or her mind - usually has a reason.

Not necessarily a GOOD reason, but a reason.

I actually almost asked someone once what their payoff was for that kind of thing. I was genuinely curious, because you don't go around attacking people online without some sort of payoff and figured it had to be something I wasn't picking up on. There's no way to ask that without it being an attack of its own, though, so I didn't go there.
TPM Sister #102

Its the internet, its cool to be mean cause you can hide behind the screen. Also since your probably far from those you attack you can carry it into your real life with rumors and side jokes.

However Im now a grown up and I dont have time for mean and negative people. If one decides to be that I just ignore it and move on.

Now you, your one of those "life me up " people for well the masses. You bleed good vibes :)

Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

I generally restrict my attacks to the people I like, and try to ignore the people I dislike. So am I a mean or nice poster?

Edit to add: And by "poster", I don't mean in the "poster child for birth control" sort of way. :P:D

Blues,
Dave

"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

F--- you, quade.

Wait. Was that mean? Or nice, because I used symbol substitution?

I'm so confused.

I've been accused of being a self-righteous bitch. I've also been accused of being one of the posters who can bitch slap someone into waking the fuck up while making them think I'm a total sweetheart.

I guess it all depends on your perspective. :)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I actually almost asked someone once what their payoff was for that kind of thing.

The response is usually "well, this is the internet, you're posting to a public forum, expect to get answers you don't want to get"...very poor excuse for being an asshole, especially when I'm damn sure that person wouldn't say what they typed to someone's face.

Anyway, I think the payoff is feeling high and mighty -- some people have a need for that.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

Interet forums are places for discussions. When someone posts their opinion... people can agree or disagree.. post different opinions.
Different opinions don't always mean that one is superior to the other. And last I checked, this is a discussion board. Not a get-your-feelings-hurt-because-someone-has-a-different opinion board.

Now, was that a mean post? Cause it wasn't meant to be.
What if I use a :)? ;)

Now you, your one of those "lift me up " people for well the masses.

Hey LisaMaria, thanks for the compliment. I always enjoy being around you as well. Hopefully we can do some jumping together this year. If you come to couchfreaks, don't forget to bring your lingerie for the lingerie dive(s).:)

Interet forums are places for discussions. When someone posts their opinion... people can agree or disagree.

Again I totally agree. Different viewpoints make for a healthy environment. I think when people try and assert their opinion in a negative way that this creates a more hostile type of forum. Discussions can escalate and two parties may never agree but IMO disagreements can be done civilly.

Even if people absolutely disagree with the opposing viewpoint, I don't think resorting to name calling and other smoke screens is really conducive to a healty discussion .

Hopefully we can do some jumping together this year.

That would be cool...

If you come to couchfreaks

Trying like last time, whats good is you never let anyone forget couchfreaks so its on the possible agenda...

don't forget to bring your lingerie for the lingerie dive(s).

Been there done that pics on the wall to prove it, nakeds better but since i finally did that i dont have to do it again :D

You hyjacked your own thread .... Bad bad bad :P
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this