yardhippie

Cloverfield: Hella good marketing?

I'n not normally caught up in any good marketing ploys, but dayum. Anyone else just seen the trailers on the TV and have a desire to see that movie?

It will probably be completely devoid of plot, and overall, not that good, but the trailers are exciting and very well done.

Comments?
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

The previews at the theatres have been hyping it for months now....

Its big... you can hear a roar in the background....sounds kinda like another GodZirra ripoff.. but this time hes eating New York instead of Tokyo.

Meh. the trailers I've seen have led to that. Depressing really that no one in Hollywank has a fucking original idea. We can see this in TV.

Either way, Ive been impressed with their marking campaign.
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Its big... you can hear a roar in the background....sounds kinda like another GodZirra ripoff.. but this time hes eating New York instead of Tokyo.

JJ Abrams has promised that it isn't a Godzilla ripoff, and this is the guy who got us entranced, initially, with a group of plane crash survivors on an island in the middle of nowhere who get randomly attacked by a moving column of smoke.

The current rumors are that the monster is some sort of Chimeran-like creature...or a giant lion. ;)

JJ promises that it's an original creation. I'm hoping that the back-story of the creature is more intriguing than the typical "nuclear abomination" take on monsters.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

Oh, and Abrams has been taking advantage of the league of microwebologists (my term for people who comb web sites for hidden links, data and clues) to promote this project. I believe it's called "Alternate Reality Games" or ARGs, where clues are provided in brief glimpses on film and embedded on web sites. Trent Reznor did the same thing for his latest album.

Cloverfield is doing this with several sites, like Slusho and T.I.D.O. Wave. Clues are scattered on these sites and you have to research them to find out what leads to new information and what is just filler.
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC

I'n not normally caught up in any good marketing ploys, but dayum. Anyone else just seen the trailers on the TV and have a desire to see that movie?

It will probably be completely devoid of plot, and overall, not that good, but the trailers are exciting and very well done.

Comments?

I'm boycotting all movies that use "shaky-cam". It's shitty directing and makes me nauseaus.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I'm boycotting all movies that use "shaky-cam".

Don't blame you, but that's a shame because you're going to miss out on some good movies. It is overused, and can be distracting, but I don't think it's just a lazy way of injecting excitement. It can't be easy to shoot and edit in that way and still have the audience understand what's going on.

What bugs me is the way that style has filtered through to TV. You're watching a static interview, and the camera's doing ridiculous whip pans and zooms, and looking up people's nostrils - are our attention spans really that shot?

I'm boycotting all movies that use "shaky-cam". It's shitty directing and makes me nauseaus.

Maybe you've got some vestibular problems.

When used properly, that kind of camera work can add to the overall effect a movie is going for. When over(or mis)used, it can turn any story into a splitting headache for the viewing audience, a la "AVP Requiem".

You're watching a static interview, and the camera's doing ridiculous whip pans and zooms, and looking up people's nostrils - are our attention spans really that shot?

Yes.

It seems most have grown up with the TV as Baby sitter since infancy... you expect better??

I'm not going to spend good money on a movie ticket until I know what the heck I'm going to get to see. Their marketing has got me curious, but not enough to gamble $9 on it. I'll wait for someone else to find out first if this is just another dumb Godzilla flick.

I'm really hoping it's Gamera!

PLEASE!!!!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I'm boycotting all movies that use "shaky-cam".

Don't blame you, but that's a shame because you're going to miss out on some good movies. It is overused, and can be distracting, but I don't think it's just a lazy way of injecting excitement. It can't be easy to shoot and edit in that way and still have the audience understand what's going on.

What bugs me is the way that style has filtered through to TV. You're watching a static interview, and the camera's doing ridiculous whip pans and zooms, and looking up people's nostrils - are our attention spans really that shot?

I'll use Bourne Supremacy and Transformers as examples. I recognize the effort to make the viewer feel like we're there, but it's a shitty gimick and I'm looking forward to the fad being over.

No, I'm not talking about the wandering cam. yeah, that was annoying too.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Im interested in film, creating an exciting story with different camera angles. IMHO a great camera angle can really make a shot.
How the camera is handled (zoom, pan, shake, etc) can also add to a given scene.
Much like any other entertainment industry the movies/TV have overused this unique idea and it's beginning to irritate the audience.

I dont mind it too much, its like photography. Do just enough to make me want to see more, and it worked on me. :S:D

Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I'm not going to spend good money on a movie ticket until I know what the heck I'm going to get to see. Their marketing has got me curious, but not enough to gamble $9 on it. I'll wait for someone else to find out first if this is just another dumb Godzilla flick.

damn you are cheep, even with a name like that! ;)

You're watching a static interview, and the camera's doing ridiculous whip pans and zooms, and looking up people's nostrils - are our attention spans really that shot?

Hey!!! >:(

Mmm, belgian waffles. :)
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.