Cajones

Saving lives with your computer.

quick question.

has anyone done an analysis to see if the console version works significantly faster than the graphical (with SETI it did)

just wondering if there is an advatage to not seeing the pretty pictures..

AndyMan, I did indeed "throw some hardware at it" as you say. While we are all on the same team and I enjoy watching the team move up in rank, I must admit a little intra-team rivalry spurred me on. Thanks for pushing me to the next level. Now you've got me looking at some new hardware!!B|

has anyone done an analysis to see if the console version works significantly faster than the graphical (with SETI it did)

just wondering if there is an advatage to not seeing the pretty pictures..

I have not personally done the research, but the answer is yes, there is an advantage to not seeing the graphics.

Free DC (distributed computing) is a good site for tech-oriented info on numerous distributed computing projects. I used to crunch F@H for them, awhile before the DZ.com team.

http://www.free-dc.org/folding/

Actually, I was folding before, under a different name, and for a different team.

http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/userpage?name=JustinFields

Even if I'd used the exact same name, I still couldn't have transferred the WUs. Too bad, huh? ;)

I agree with you. If competition and stats get people involved, the bring it on. I don't mind if I get passed by either.

Tash,

I'm not sure if they work together or not, but you might have priority with priorities, if you wanted them to share CPU cycles. Instead of trying to make them coexist, put one on one box and the other on another box.

Pretty soon you'll get hooked and have a whole farm of distributed computing boxes. Not that I know anything about that, of course...

:)

Woo-hoo, I'm just ahead of that twat Phreezone!! :)
Now to break into the top 10 and hunt down that little ratbag Justin...B|

Hahaha, built another box from bits and should soon overtake AndyMan for 5th :P:P:P Me, addicted? I can give it up anytime :PB|
Rich M

well, i tried it out. the graphical and screensaver versions wouldn't install (movie maker beta error???:S).

the text only version works and per my task manager ud and f@h are happily sharing (using approx the same %age of my CPU each).

SO - why not install the UD agent as well everyone? there are three skydiving teams but i don't know anyone else in the teams :$ although there are only 23 members across the 3 teams! they do protein (cancer), anthrax and smallpox research.

the s/w can be downloaded from:

www.ud.com or www.grid.org

tash

LOL... Yes, keep us updated on how that works out.

So long as the powers-that-be don't mind you tapping their idle cycles - go for it!

As to my running on production servers... It's been runnign so stable for long enough, I bit the bullet.

I now have it running on 7 severs, plus my laptop. Each of the seven servers are Xeon processors, but some of them are slower. We'll see how it runs.

I doubt I'll catch up to you guys, though...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I don't think it works on Win98, but hiding it from users is exactly what it does. You install Folding@Home as a service, and it runs without anything in the task bar. You can also remove the FireDaemon icons from the desktop and start menu, so nobody would notice it unless they specifically looked for it.

If you do this stuff, be careful. Some companies frown upon it, and people have been fired over it. Get permission from an IT admin or something first.