JohnRich

Diagnose my car problem!

I'm gonna go with fuel tank pressurization.

You're wrong. It's slider rebound.

My experience probably doesn't apply because it was all with pre-fuel injected and computer controlled engines, but every time I had the issues you described it had something to do with the fuel delivery system. Fuel pump, fuel filters, fuel lines, screen in the gas tank...

I'd start with the filters since they're the cheapest to replace.

After reading through the responses, It occured to me that he might have an influx of rarified air molecules invading his intake system and fuel presurization devices.

BUT - I'd still lean toward the good old fuel pump and filter and perhaps an injector cleaning.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I'm going to agree with jkm2500 on this one.

These trucks are notorious for having problems with their fuel pumps. The are easy to check with the right gauge. (it's just a pressure gauge that you plug in to the fuel line normally going into the throttle body or fuel rail)

It's probably not a problem with a clogged fuel filter. If it was you would probably be complaining of a problem with the truck not able to go faster than some speed(say 70 mph). Though.. have you tried going really fast on the freeway to see if you can get to 90 or 100 in the truck? Do you people ever drive that fast in Texas? Or do you have to keep it slow to avoid all of the horse and buggies?

[jkm2500] That year of Blazer is notorious for developing weak fuel pumps. If the thing has over 100K miles, the probability is high. It can be tested to see if the pump is developing enough pressure.

Yep, it's 128,000 miles - gettin' up there.

When was the last time that the fuel filter was changed?

Actually, just 16,000 miles ago. The owner's manual calls for it every 50k miles. And last time was also right after a visit to this same park. I think that place is a jinx.

I would start by replacing the fuel filter. When you replace the filter look and see if there is a bunch of sediment in the filter. If that is the case then you might need to flush the tank. If not, then the pump may be on its last leg.

There was a lot of good advice in here, and some good humor too. I appreciate the willingness of everyone to share knowledge and experiences.

I decided to start with the cheap stuff, and replaced the fuel filter. Just $14. It wasn't easy to access and swap out, but I got it done.

I noticed that as I drained the fuel out of the old filter into a bowl, it had a dark color to it, like there was some kind of mold in the fuel. That can't be good.

After replacement, I turned the key to "on" and let it sit for a minute to pump fuel into, and fill, the new filter. Then she fired up right away. A test drive showed more zip then she's had in a while, indicating better fuel flow.

So my theory at this point is that the fuel filter was clogged with something, that was causing just enough gas to be delivered to the engine to make it run smooth on level ground. And since Texas is darned flat everywhere, that wasn't much of a problem. But whenever a load was placed on the engine, it couldn't get the additional fuel it needed, so it conked out.

That night, and the next morning, my driving took the fuel level well below the half-tank point where the problem was occuring, and I had no additional stalls. Yippee! So maybe the problem is solved. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

If the stalls reoccur, I'll try the more drastic measures, or take it to a mechanic with the fuel pressure gauges, and such.

Big Red and I wish to thank everyone for your help!

Hey John,

glad to hear you seem to have solved your problem. We (company) recently started taking our service vans in for preventative maint. and having our fuel systems flushed with a BG product. We have gained a couple miles per gallon and the engines seem to be running better than they have in a long while. We are also now changing our fuel filters more regularly now. I can tell you that when you need to change a chevy fuel pump, in the tank, it ain't cheap. Maybe look into that fuel system flush for Big Red since you saw some crap in the filter.

Jeff

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

It's probably not a problem with a clogged fuel filter. If it was you would probably be complaining of a problem with the truck not able to go faster than some speed(say 70 mph). Though.. have you tried going really fast on the freeway to see if you can get to 90 or 100 in the truck? Do you people ever drive that fast in Texas?

This is Texas, with wide-open places. Hell yes they drive really fast. But as for me, I'm old, and I'm lucky to do the speed limit these days. At my age, I thought I was supposed to drive slow in the fast lane.

The truck runs smooth at 75 mph, and that's all I need out of her. I'm not going to take her to 100 as a fuel flow experiment, although it sounds like an excellent diagnostic idea.

Hey John,

glad to hear you seem to have solved your problem. We (company) recently started taking our service vans in for preventative maint. and having our fuel systems flushed with a BG product. We have gained a couple miles per gallon and the engines seem to be running better than they have in a long while. We are also now changing our fuel filters more regularly now. I can tell you that when you need to change a chevy fuel pump, in the tank, it ain't cheap. Maybe look into that fuel system flush for Big Red since you saw some crap in the filter.

Jeff

What he said -

And an engine cleaner/detergent in one tank - I know there is controversy over it - but the stuff has ALWAYS worked for me.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

having our fuel systems flushed with a BG product. We have gained a couple miles per gallon and the engines seem to be running better...

I've used the BG products for injector cleaning and transmission flushes. Never heard of the fuel tank flush. But it sounds like a good idea if there is some residual crud in the tank, just a-waitin' to clog up my new fuel filter.

I've used the BG products for injector cleaning and transmission flushes. Never heard of the fuel tank flush. But it sounds like a good idea if there is some residual crud in the tank, just a-waitin' to clog up my new fuel filter.

Some of those fuel tank cleaners work rather well. Most of them are detergents that are added to the gas before it gets to the pump anyhow(particularly the bg 209 and bg210 products), and if you don't use too much at once, or to often they are a good part of keeping your car/truck running well. We got a machine that uses a product simllar to the bg210 cleaner, and running it through some cars noticably brings life back into them. changes in fuel efficiency were not big enough to call conclusive.

When I worked at my dads shop we occationally would flush the fuel tank of a ranchers truck. Sometimes these guys would get a bunch of crud in their fuel tank somehow. But normally fuel tanks don't need to be flushed.

Sometimes these guys would get a bunch of crud in their fuel tank somehow.

Off-road fuel from their own tanks at the ranch??;)

probably that accounts for some of the problem, but the tanks that I know of on their farms are that tax free desil. and with a few exceptions all of the trucks that I can think of ran on gas alone. my best guess on one of the fuel tank cleaning incidents that I remember involved a time when the customer ran out of gas somewhere on the farm, and used a dirty container to move gas to the truck.

Ive seen people set their gas caps down on the ground, or on the top of the fuel pump tank side down while fueling. I suppose, given enough time, you'll transfer enough junk into the tank on the cap to cause some problems.

and with a few exceptions all of the trucks that I can think of ran on gas alone.

Ah, that is more interesting. I have seen it most on diesel's:D

Well, you know, different parts of the country seem to have different behaviors. I remember seeing a good number of desil trucks in the area last time I was down in Eloy, but there aren't so many in this part of california.

On a sort of related note. My dads shop was flushing tanks so infrequently that he got rid of the machine that he did it with in favor of freeing up the space for a parts washer. And there was some new enviromental concerns with flushing fuel tanks.

Some of those fuel tank cleaners work rather well. Most of them are detergents that are added to the gas...

I'll go looking for something like that at an auto parts store, just to see if I can head-off any further problems.

Photo attached: the suspect antique gas pump.

These pumps are so old that the manufacturers never envisioned that gas would ever get to $3 per gallon or more. The numbers on the dollars digit only go to 1 or 2. So to get around this problem, they had to get creative. They're selling gas at $3.50 per gallon, but can't set that price on the pump, because they don't have a "3". So instead they sell it at half that price, or $1.75 per gallon, and then multiply the total by 2 to get the actual sales price you pay. Ha!

If you're buying gas from that gas station, then your fuel is probably contaminated, full of rust and other fun stuff.:D

You're not at Big Bend again are you? That kind of looks like the fuel pumps that the station in the park has. Although $3.50 sounds pretty low for gas inside of the park.

--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If you're buying gas from that gas station, then your fuel is probably contaminated, full of rust and other fun stuff.:D

You're not at Big Bend again are you? That kind of looks like the fuel pumps that the station in the park has. Although $3.50 sounds pretty low for gas inside of the park.

Yep, Big Bend again. My 8th visit there, I think. Did 4 days canoeing the Rio Grande through canyons, then 3 days of hiking.

Yep, if the pumps are that old, then the tanks underground are that old too. No telling how cruddy they are.

In Big Bend it was $3.50. Just outside in Marathon was about $3.35. Sanderson about $3.20. Gas ain't cheap out in the middle of nowhere.

To avoid Big Bend prices, I top off before I go in, and try to buy as little as possible once inside.

Attached: photo of canoeing through Boquillos canyon.

You guys in Texas are paying how MUCH for gas?!?!?!?
We're only at $2.99 here in Tulsa.

That was in Big Bend National Park, which is very remote. When you get to the road going into the park you think; "Oh boy, I'm almost there now!" But no, it's another hour drive just to get to the headquarters from there. Then another 30-40 minutes to get to several campgrounds from the HQ. Big Bend Park is bigger than some states!

It costs more to deliver anything there, so you pay a premium for it.

Here in Houston gas runs $2.97 and up right now.

When the problem starts happening, try stopping and opening the fuel cap. Listen for the sound of a suction being released. I'm thinking it could be a problem with the fuel vent system that is preventing air being able to get in to replace the fuel being drawn out, resulting in a partial vacuum forming in the tank that opposes the effort of the fuel pump to pull it out.

I had exactly this problem some years ago on a Pontiac. Clearing the clogged vent fixed it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yeah, Dave explained the whole Big Bend cause they can scenario..
I was thinking something was wrong, cause Houston and Tulsa gas prices aren't that far off each other with the refineries in the neighborhood.
Now, head on up to the pacific northwest for some fuel sticker shock. Sheesh.
Big Bend prices everyday.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.