mostwanted

skydive old Raven reserve as my main?

i have a question to a quite old canopy:

it is a Raven 3 (III?) - DOM 06/1987 - dacron lines - used as a reserve in a student rig - 3 jumps.

is this a Raven or a Super Raven? (i do not know if the labes says "3" or "III")
would it be ok to jump it as my main though it is really old?

my plan is to put approximatelly 300 jumps on it (as my main!).

i have 136 lbs. naked. would it be ok for my weight to skydive a raven 3 (III?), or would you recommend a raven II. maybe i could get problems to reach the dropzone on (more) windy days?

note: i would like to jump a raven because it was recommended to me to use a big 7-cell on skydives (preferably a raven or fury) to train for base-jumping (where a wingloading between 0.6 and 0.8 is common).

i am looking forward to your opinions. thanks for your efforts!

edited: spelling

If you're serious about BASE, you should buy a used unvented BASE canopy, install a sail slider and skydive with that. It would also help if you filled out your profile. That said, i'm not answering your question because I don't know the answer.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Ask the seller if the canopy has a bikini slider on it or not. If it does, it's likely a Raven 3. If it doesn't it's likely a Raven III. IIRC "Super Ravens" use the roman numeral designation.

would it be ok to jump it as my main though it is really old?

As long as a rigger inspects it and determines that there is no damage (neither visible - ie large holes - or invisible - ie fabric strength issues, which can be determined by doing a pull test) I see no reason why it would not be okay to jump as your main.

Contrary to what many people think and say, there is nothing instrinsically unsafe about older gear. It comes down to how well that canopy was maintained by it's previous owner. I'd assume that a reserve canopy with 3 jumps on it spent most of it's life in a container. There may be fabric strength issues created by wear from handling during repacks but a pull test can clear that issue up.

would it be ok for my weight to skydive a raven 3 (III?), or would you recommend a raven II.

Since your goal is to get into BASE, I'd suggest asking an experienced BASE jumper which size would be better for you. While some of us love to offer them, the opinions of people who have never done a BASE jump on that particular subject are worthless.

maybe i could get problems to reach the dropzone on (more) windy days?

There's an easy solution to that problem. Don't jump it on windy days or on days when the winds are marginal (ie they aren't that high yet but could get to high at any moment) - basically if the dz puts students on wind hold, put yourself on wind hold since you'll be loading that canopy as light or lighter than most student canopies are loaded. This would apply regardless of whether you choose a Raven III, a Raven II or a Fury.

It may not have a bikini slider if it wasn't shipped with one and it wasn't replaced in the field. But if it doesn't that just means it opens like all the new canopy designs.;)

Ravens priop to Dash M have main bridle attachment points and were sold as both mains and reserves. A Raven at that wingloading will mean that you will have to be careful of higer winds. You won't have the penitration that an appropriately sized canopy will have. Be conservative.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

It may not have a bikini slider if it wasn't shipped with one and it wasn't replaced in the field.

See, I learn something new almost every day. I was told that the original Ravens all came with bikini sliders and if I ever found one without it I shouldn't pack it. :$

On another purely trivial note, does anyone know exactly when Precision changed from arabic numerals to roman numerals (ie from Raven to Super Raven)? This thread got me curious so I looked through my logbook today; found that I'd packed a Raven II with a d.o.m. of 8/87 and a Raven 2 with a d.o.m. of 5/87 so I'm assuming that it was sometime between May and August of 87 that the change happened...

Replacing the original slider with a bikini slider was optional. So as not to admit a problem I guess. But I wouldn't pack an original Raven without installing a bikini slider.

Never paid much attention but I bought a Raven the summer of 87 and it was a super raven.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

On another purely trivial note, does anyone know exactly when Precision changed from arabic numerals to roman numerals (ie from Raven to Super Raven)? This thread got me curious so I looked through my logbook today; found that I'd packed a Raven II with a d.o.m. of 8/87 and a Raven 2 with a d.o.m. of 5/87 so I'm assuming that it was sometime between May and August of 87 that the change happened...

yeah, i am interested in that question too...

bytch... I'd be surprised if it had anything more to do with other then they ordered a new stamp for some reason or another around that time... but, just the same, an interesting bit of canopy trivia.
;)

Ravens and SuperRavens were sold as both mains and reserves. Ravens were found to open slow for the time. Now days they'd be considered fast compared to some of these canopies that go through a streamer malfunction before deciding to open.:P We were concerned about Ravens as reserves taking longer than appropriate to open. Precision came out with the bikini slider as a retrofit. Imagine a slider with a big X drawn from corner to corner. The front triangle and the back triangle were cut out, making it look like a bikini. This retrofit was optional, even on Ravens used as reserves. But, many/most riggers wouldn't pack Ravens as reserves with out installing a bikini slider. So, we had to recognize whether it was a Raven and needed a bikini slider or a super Raven that didn't. I haven't packed an original raven in years and years and probably wouldn't now.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I jump a raven III as my main.

I need to figure out how to dye it or something. People always think I had to pull my reserve (the Raven is all white).
----------------------------------------
....so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."