peckerhead

What is wrong with people?

Regarding "freebies"....

If the rigger/packer/whoever wants to do that, that's cool by me.

I've asked people to give me packing tips, and I paid them for their time. The 30 minutes I spent with them getting tips was time that they WEREN'T making money packing.

I don't really mind helping someone. the ones who chap my ass, are the ones who ask me for help packing. We get it done and they flop it back open and re-do it... their way. THAT, just wasted both of our time.

Chuck

I can see where that would piss you off.... I absolutely HATE packing. I do, however, need to do more of it so I get better.

That, was what my Senior instructor told me. I'm going to level with you. some of the new 0-P parachutes give me fits. Sometimes, controlling that slippery material can be a bitch.

Chuck

When I rigged in the back of Square One, we had a policy that if repairs were less than $25 or $30, we just did them and billed the customer.
If repairs cost more than that, we were supposed to phone the customer.
I quickly tired of playing "phone tag" - for weeks on end - so a lot of customers got $40, even $50 worth of repairs for "$30."

Nowadays, I charge for phone call that I have to make related to major repairs.

With me, it's keeping the lines straight AND keeping control of the fabric.... that's one of the things that has me considering psycho-packing.

It's that or go 'psycho' doing it the conventional way!:D

Chuck

Yup! I've done a lot of that $30.00 work, over the years. For the same reason. You know, it seems funny to me that, we riggers go through a lot of work to get our tickets. In the long run, we "are responsible' for our work and if, all goes wrong, (the extreme) answer in court room. Folks, complain about our prices. What I don't understand is, those same folks will pay $50.00 to $90.00 for a video of their tandem jump and not bat an eye. I am not trying to de-mean video guys but, a video is worth more than seeing to it their equipment works properly and is going to do it's job?

Chuck

When I see shit like this I think to myself that the current generation of skydivers has no clue.

I recently saw a 20-something at Starbucks have his credit card refused, and he casually reached into his wallet and pulled out another one from a stack. No embarrassing gestures, nothing; just another day in the matrix.

You are correct in stating that the current generation of skydivers has no clues about gear.

KK wrote
"I was packing near a young lady yesterday, who had her closing loop come out (No idea why).

I guess she survived the jump, because I didn't hear any sirens later that day, but she sure didn't know dick about that gear. And the bad thing was that she didn't really care at all about learning about it.

hey, cut her some slack
at least she was packing her own gear.................. ;)

be safe

kleggo
4400 + jumps
4400 + packjobs
and i've lived!

Not trying to be a dickhead dude, but go get your ticket and spend a few years using it and putting up with people who think your time and work are worth 5 bucks and or nothing (free) and spend your skydiving days in the loft seeing everyone else having fun while you work your ass off for not much pay and then to top it off when your pack job works and saves someone they don't thank you with a bottle anymore nowdays, then you might start to understand what were saying.

I dont think your being a dickhead...but I do think you are a tad bitter....I do understand where you are coming from as I find the same lack of respect and understanding in my trade.

Btw....I will be buying whom ever has repacked my reserve a bottle when and if I ever use it.;)

You think I should hook up everyones 3-rings for free? Or give out advice all day I had to pay to learn.
I used to, but like I posted from now on it 25 bucks a side, because most people who ask are lazy or stupid, students still get free training till they get an A then if they still don't get it by then it's 25 bucks a side!

I do not think you should be hooking up peoples 3 rings for free...If someone has not taken the time or effort to learn such a simple task then they deserve to be charged for your time...but $25 a sideB|...wow.

Btw....I wouldnt not ask you or any other rigger to hook up my 3 rings nor hook up my canopy to the risers as I have been taught how to do these simple tasks...I of course am still learning but I believe ever skydiver should know the basics and how to perform these tasks along with line continuity checks and main canopy inspection.

It's steep for a reason, I have better things to do like jumping then fixing everyones little bullshit they could do them selfs if the understood their gear.
If you show up at a boogie and want me to repack your reserve that's 130.00 cash.

Because I see it as your the dumbass who planned to go to a boogie for weeks ahead of time but didn't bother to get in date before showing up and I too planned to go to the same boogie weeks ahead of time, to SKYDIVE and not work in the loft.

Yup....I call it a stupidity charge and agree with you completely.....just bring your car to me and park it 500 yards away in the back corner of the parking lot when its pouring rain out ....etc etc...guess who's bill is gona be higher and whos car took a extra hour just to bring it into the shop;)

If you don't agree thats ok, when you have your ticket you can be that guy working the loft durring the boogie for normal rates and doing shit for free all the time to be a nice guy, but I got bills to pay like everyone else in the world. :S

You seem to think I am attacking you when I am not....as I stated earlier I agree with your gripes but questioned the doubling the price of the reserve R&I when adding a main inspection and repack to the reserve R&I as it does not take anywhere near the same time to perform.

I do think you should charge extra for extra work and hitting some dumbass with a stupidity charge always makes me smile :)

Your thread, sure got hi-jacked in a hurry! You are correct. The connector links stay with the parachute. All the rest of the parts; risers, d-bag, pilotchute etc., stay with the container. We had a guy who would give me 3-trash sacks, when he wanted his rig I&R'd and container washed. 1-bag, had the main... off the connector links. Lines, just rubberbanded together. 2nd. bag, had the reserve parachute... same as the main. 3rd. bag, had the container... you guessed it! The links were on the main and reserve risers. Each time, I would explain to him, 'proper procedure'. Each time, I would tell him that there would be an 'extra' charge for 'assembly'. :S

Chuck

I was never comparing inspecting the main to inspecting the reserve & container. I'm comparing MAIN - RESERVE... parachutes only. They take about the same time so, I charge the same.
I take the time necessary to do a complete inspection. How much time I spend is up to me. I don't charge by the hour. I'm not trying to be a smart ass but, I didn't know that rigging was a timed event.

My my you riggers do seem to be a sensitive lot ;):P;)......My comments and questions were not meant to be offensive to you or anyone else...please dont take them as such.:)
I simply asked a question reguarding doubling the price of a reserve R&I when including the main and made a valid point about the extra time and work involved.

I actually believe that a main inspection compared to a reserve inspection(canopy) would take a little longer to perform as the main is more prone to wear and damage then a reserve and thus worth a little more then just inspecting the reserve canopy....but...one would assume that most of your reserve R&I's would include the complete reserve system including harness etc.....and I am willing to bet you can pack a main in about 1/5 of the time it takes to pack a reserve;)

I do respect riggers and understand the gripes you all have and one day hope to get my very own presious rigging ticket so I can join in the gripe fest B|;)

I was never comparing inspecting the main to inspecting the reserve & container. I'm comparing MAIN - RESERVE... parachutes only. They take about the same time so, I charge the same.
I take the time necessary to do a complete inspection. How much time I spend is up to me. I don't charge by the hour. I'm not trying to be a smart ass but, I didn't know that rigging was a timed event.

My my you riggers do seem to be a sensitive lot ;):P;)......My comments and questions were not meant to be offensive to you or anyone else...please dont take them as such.:)
I simply asked a question reguarding doubling the price of a reserve R&I when including the main and made a valid point about the extra time and work involved.

I actually believe that a main inspection compared to a reserve inspection(canopy) would take a little longer to perform as the main is more prone to wear and damage then a reserve and thus worth a little more then just inspecting the reserve canopy....but...one would assume that most of your reserve R&I's would include the complete reserve system including harness etc.....and I am willing to bet you can pack a main in about 1/5 of the time it takes to pack a reserve;)

I do respect riggers and understand the gripes you all have and one day hope to get my very own presious rigging ticket so I can join in the gripe fest B|;)

We riggers are a tad touchy and 'territorial'. I can see, what you are saying. I felt as though 'I' wasn't understood. It's cool! What I don't think, a lot of folks realize either is, the fact that we have to stay-up with what is new in the industry, also. By whatever means, that might be. They don't hold continuing education classes at the local JC. We attend the PIA Symposiums. That, costs us money to learn the latest and greatest in our industry and attend classes dealing with our chosen profession. There's a lot more to being a rigger than just Inspecting and Re-packing or patching. So, yeah, I guess, we might be a tad touchy. We take pride, in what we do. So, let's try to be a bit more 'sensitive', huh.:D Follow a rigger around for a day, sometime. If, you can stand it. It could get scarey.;)
Take care.

Chuck

Well as I hope you can see I do understand or atleast understand as much as possible with my limited knowlage of gear....and am happy that you seem to understand my points now as well :)
Btw I think following you or any other full time rigger around for a day(or more) would be a great experiance and would dearly love to do so:)
Maybe you could follow me around for a day or so at work also....thats if you think you can keep up;):P;)

peace:)

Well as I hope you can see I do understand or atleast understand as much as possible with my limited knowlage of gear....and am happy that you seem to understand my points now as well :)
Btw I think following you or any other full time rigger around for a day(or more) would be a great experiance and would dearly love to do so:)
Maybe you could follow me around for a day or so at work also....thats if you think you can keep up;):P;)

peace:)

Sure! I'll follow you around. I'll bet, I'd learn something too. Before I got too far... wgat do you do? If, I can pack a reserve, flank calves, fix fences, break colts... I think, I can keep-up.;)

Chuck

I do not think you should be hooking up peoples 3 rings for free...If someone has not taken the time or effort to learn such a simple task then they deserve to be charged for your time...but $25 a side...wow.

That is because it is alway the same people who ask, and after teaching it 3 or 4 or more times and knowing these same people have attended safety day more then once, I think by that amount of time of free teaching if they don't still know how to do it, tells me their stupid & wasting my time.

You seem to think I am attacking you when I am not

No I don't think your attacking me, my point is when/if you get a ticket and spend sometime using it you will have a better understanding of what we put up with.

***but I hope your pricing to the skydiver who shows a intrest in learning about the gear that saves there life and shows respect for your work would be charged accordingly. ***

I have no problem teaching anyone about their rig and or rigging, I encourage it, but if you don't learn anything from it cuz it is easier to throw money around, your wasting my time again, but I'll take your money if your willing to pay the price for wasting my time during the free training.

I will say if you came to an event and had to chop and need to get a repack it will cost you the normal fee(60.00 usd), I would rather take time out of my fun to get someone back to having their fun instead of sitting on the ground.

Most jumpers are very happy to have someone spend time teaching them about their gear, those people are the ones who learn and will offer you dinner or a drink or something, like yourself helping the guy with his car, those are the people I will help anytime for free and they are not the kind who always return to ask the same stupid crap time and time again.
I keep a list of who I will help and those who will be charged for my time.

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Sure! I'll follow you around. I'll bet, I'd learn something too. Before I got too far... wgat do you do? If, I can pack a reserve, flank calves, fix fences, break colts... I think, I can keep-up

I am sure you would learn something...as I love to teach....but I am a little dissapointed in the fact that you have to ask what I do.....as I have already stated in this thread that I am a Master mechanic....hmmm responding to my posts with some ire yet cant recall that info.........:P

I do read these fourms alot and know that your a cowboy/rigger ;)....however I do not know what flanking a calf means....but with Brokeback Mountain being in the limelight and being a smartass.....naw...I wont go there ;):P

I will say if you came to an event and had to chop and need to get a repack it will cost you the normal fee(60.00 usd), I would rather take time out of my fun to get someone back to having their fun instead of sitting on the ground.

Excellent :););):P

Sure! I'll follow you around. I'll bet, I'd learn something too. Before I got too far... wgat do you do? If, I can pack a reserve, flank calves, fix fences, break colts... I think, I can keep-up

I am sure you would learn something...as I love to teach....but I am a little dissapointed in the fact that you have to ask what I do.....as I have already stated in this thread that I am a Master mechanic....hmmm responding to my posts with some ire yet cant recall that info.........:P

I do read these fourms alot and know that your a cowboy/rigger ;)....however I do not know what flanking a calf means....but with Brokeback Mountain being in the limelight and being a smartass.....naw...I wont go there ;):P

Sorry, Man. I had a brain-fart as to your occupation. Flanking a calf, is reaching over the side of a headed or heeled calf and get a hand each, under a front leg and a hind leg and layin' that calf on it's side. The flanker , gets control of the calf's head, while another cowboy races in to get hold of a hind leg. This keeps the calf under control so he/she can be vaccinated, branded, ear-tagged or ear-notched, inspected, rejected and told to sit on the Group - W bench! Oh, sorry... When we're done, we let that calf go and get another till they've all been worked.
Master mechanic, sounds pretty interesting. I can dig that!

Chuck

I do not think you should be hooking up peoples 3 rings for free...If someone has not taken the time or effort to learn such a simple task then they deserve to be charged for your time...but $25 a side...wow.

That is because it is alway the same people who ask, and after teaching it 3 or 4 or more times and knowing these same people have attended safety day more then once, I think by that amount of time of free teaching if they don't still know how to do it, tells me their stupid & wasting my time.

You seem to think I am attacking you when I am not

No I don't think your attacking me, my point is when/if you get a ticket and spend sometime using it you will have a better understanding of what we put up with.

***but I hope your pricing to the skydiver who shows a intrest in learning about the gear that saves there life and shows respect for your work would be charged accordingly. ***

I have no problem teaching anyone about their rig and or rigging, I encourage it, but if you don't learn anything from it cuz it is easier to throw money around, your wasting my time again, but I'll take your money if your willing to pay the price for wasting my time during the free training.

Most jumpers are very happy to have someone spend time teaching them about their gear, those people are the ones who learn and will offer you dinner or a drink or something, like yourself helping the guy with his car, those are the people I will help anytime for free and they are not the kind who always return to ask the same stupid crap time and time again.
I keep a list of who I will help and those who will be charged for my time.

~

I know a Rigger who deals mostly in pilot emergency parachutes. He has what he calls an 'Executive Re-pack. For $50.00 more, the rig owner can watch! He advertises this and has had some 'takers'.:D
Give you any ideas?

Chuck

Excellent .....I figured as much from reading your posts .....but will that price include a main inspection and giving me a hand doing a contintunity check?

YES and I'll even help you find your main out in the corn fields too.:P

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Follow a rigger around for a day, sometime. If, you can stand it. It could get scarey.;)

Might be a bit hard for him to do that at our small Canadian DZ that has only two riggers (the DZO and myself). There's no such thing as a full-time rigger up here... He has, however, watched me I&R his rig and do other odd jobs. He also asks lots of (smart) questions (often over supper/beer/scotch at his place), and he pays attention so he doesn't ask the same questions as last time.

In short, DeN ReN is one of the good guys. Oh, and I have followed him around at his job while he worked on my truck, and he is one busy guy. He can multitask better than my computer. He's also the only person I'll let work on my truck (mechanics are like riggers: when you find a good one, you stick with him). He'll make a good rigger, too.

There, that should be good for another supper! :D

Edit: he says I forgot to mention that he's an asshole... and I only earned mac&cheese with gourmet weiners... but that's ok, cause I know where he keeps the scotch.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg