Zipp0

1 in 4 Teen Girls has STD

About 18 percent of the girls in the study had HPV infections ....

The high HPV rate would appear to support the efforts of [Republican] Gov. Rick Perry, who tried unsuccessfully last year to require sixth-grade girls to be vaccinated against the virus before attending Texas public schools. State lawmakers scuttled the governor's order after accusing him of overreaching his authority.

Informed of the study's findings, a spokeswoman for Mr. Perry said Tuesday that the governor continued to be 'an advocate for young women being vaccinated for HPV.'

Given many/some of the girls in the study may have been infected before it was approved, nonetheless there's a vaccine available.

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

The national study analyzed vaginal swabs taken from 838 female adolescents who participated in the 2003-04 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. About half of the teens reported having had sex.

Is it just me, or does this seem to indicate that the data is skewed to anyone else??? The girls are apparently 14-18. Most adolescent girls don't see an OBGYN (and therefore have swabs done) UNLESS they are sexually active or have some type of problem. I *think* the recommended age to start seeing an OBGYN is 26, or upon becoming sexually active. I know there are other reasons to start going to an OBGYN, but just based on this I wouldn't really trust this sample popluation as being indicative of the entire US population. :S

I don't know though, maybe the girls who participated just had swabs done specifically for the study. If that's the case I'd question where they got the girls who participated and if they're truly representative of the entire US population. Maybe it is valid. If so, that's pretty scary. [:/]

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

The national study analyzed vaginal swabs taken from 838 female adolescents who participated in the 2003-04 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. About half of the teens reported having had sex.

Is it just me, or does this seem to indicate that the data is skewed to anyone else??? The girls are apparently 14-18. Most adolescent girls don't see an OBGYN (and therefore have swabs done) UNLESS they are sexually active or have some type of problem. I *think* the recommended age to start seeing an OBGYN is 26, or upon becoming sexually active. I know there are other reasons to start going to an OBGYN, but just based on this I wouldn't really trust this sample popluation as being indicative of the entire US population. :S

I don't know though, maybe the girls who participated just had swabs done specifically for the study. If that's the case I'd question where they got the girls who participated and if they're truly representative of the entire US population. Maybe it is valid. If so, that's pretty scary. [:/]

anytime I see any female in urgent care with complaints of belly pain or pelvic pain they get a pelvic exam and cultures done.......did 2 today on girls younger than 18:(:(:(:(
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Apparently HPV is the New Craze amoungst kids these days. Guys can have it and not even know about it, but It gives the Ladies all sorts of funny colored discharges and foul smells/rashes, and I'll stop there.
My last GF had that. I didn't find out until after we broke up. That god it things never went that far....[:/]

=========Shaun ==========

Apparently HPV is the New Craze amoungst kids these days. Guys can have it and not even know about it, but It gives the Ladies all sorts of funny colored discharges and foul smells/rashes, and I'll stop there.
My last GF had that. I didn't find out until after we broke up. That god it things never went that far....[:/]

In our area we are seeing a lot of "everything" -hpv, herpes, gonorhea, chlamydia and trich. I do a lot of education with the young girls - that is mostly who I see - about different ways to protect themselves and their partners - some days it is scary. Puts a whole new spin on monagamy when you see stuff like that on a daily basis[:/][:/][:/]
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

STD tests (along with lots of other lab work) were done specifically for the NHANES. I don't claim to be an expert on research procedures, but NHANES is a large, reputable study that's been conducted many times over the last 40+ years. It's run by the CDC and households are randomly chosen from census data. It's probably one of the better, more comprehensive and representative studies in the US. http://www.cdc.gov/nhanes/

About 18 percent of the girls in the study had HPV infections ....

The high HPV rate would appear to support the efforts of [Republican] Gov. Rick Perry, who tried unsuccessfully last year to require sixth-grade girls to be vaccinated against the virus before attending Texas public schools. State lawmakers scuttled the governor's order after accusing him of overreaching his authority.

Informed of the study's findings, a spokeswoman for Mr. Perry said Tuesday that the governor continued to be 'an advocate for young women being vaccinated for HPV.'

Given many/some of the girls in the study may have been infected before it was approved, nonetheless there's a vaccine available.

VR/Marg

Personally I am very much against a 'requirement' for any new vaccine. It hasn't even been on the market for 10 years...do they have definitive data on 10, 15, 20 year effects?

-and I won't even bring up my hatred of Merck.

OF COURSE I want my baby-girl protected. I am not naive enough to think that I am a good enough parent to convince my beautiful and intelligent little girl that waiting on sex is the best option (though you can bet your ass I'll do everything within reason to try!). I just trust her more than I trust Merck. I wish there was another pharmaceutical company out there that was manufacturing the vaccine and had longer studies on it. [:/]
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

STD tests (along with lots of other lab work) were done specifically for the NHANES. I don't claim to be an expert on research procedures, but NHANES is a large, reputable study that's been conducted many times over the last 40+ years. It's run by the CDC and households are randomly chosen from census data. It's probably one of the better, more comprehensive and representative studies in the US. http://www.cdc.gov/nhanes/

Thanks for the info, I didn't know about that. That certainly makes the data look more legit to me.

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Its the gift that keeps on giving... http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/plush/6708/images/

Ooooh … … those are fabulous!!!

I’ve got Infectious Awareables Vaccinia, aka smallpox and anthrax scarves & the polio tie. :)They’ve got quite a selection for those more interested in STD pathogens! ;)

/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

Yuppers, if ever I need to buy him a gift I go to either thinkgeek.com (I gave him herpes for his bday lol) or add lessons for his private pilot... geeks are so easy to buy for. He wants the common cold next
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this