RkyMtnHigh

Travis Pastrana - ThrillBillies

The jump was made in Puerto Rico, and yes the FAA has juridiction there. The DZ is a USPA Group Member DZ: http://www.uspa.org/dz/foreign/PuertoRico.htm so the USPA rules do apply to them as well. The FAA is investigating and may potentially revoke the pilots licence.

Gasson was hard wired to his rig via safety cables. ;)

Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Your argument is fair. At least it is not all abusive and i respect you for that.

However, Greg Gasson's chuteless jump was not as chuteless as you think. He was connected to his rig via a cable.
Bill cole on the otherhand was not.

Bill Cole also receieved 2 life bans from skydiving.
These stunts you mention that would not look bad for skydiving if people were killed... You are right.. that is because these guys are highly experienced with thousands of jumps and they are not high profile famous people to the public like Travis is.

They do not bring half as much attention to their stunts as Travis does.
If Travis brings all this attention to himself and then gets killed on a bike well they will say, thats okay he was experienced enough to be attempting it. But if he died while jumping from a plane with no chute there would be major investigations into his experience and people would pay for this. Our sport as a whole could pay for this. I say COULD.

Anyway mate, I am over all of this talk, nothing personal towards you as i respect your opinion and i enjoy watching travis and his stunts. I just wish he would get some more experience under his belt. MAinly cause i dont want the guy to die in the sport like so many people that have before him with 100% more jumps than him.
Travis has 100 jumps. Do you think he should be jumping from a plane and having someone else have to save his life? If that guy had fumbled and Travis died he would have a hard time living with himself.

100 jumps, how much control do you have in the sky at 100 jumps?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I dont ever want anyone to die but when i watched that video and knew he had such small jump numbers all i could think was that he would be the most ideal candidate for a 'Dropzone.com Bounce Bingo'.

After this stunt he just did in the air with no chute, i imagine his next skydiving jump would be pushing it even further and my money would be on the next skydiving stunt he attempts would be his last.

I dont know, I just get an awefull feeling that he is going to die in our sport. I have only had that feeling once before and it happened. I love skydiving stunts, Jeb, Luigi, Chris Martin, J.C. Scott Campos, Rook Nelson all have my 100% respect for what they have done or are doing for this sport and for us in the sport.

Travis, I just see a 100 jump wonder thinking cause he is good on a bike means he is a good skydiver.

I respect the guys skills on a Bike. he is fucking awesome on a bike. Mad Skills!

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I certainly agree then, if it was an airport/dz/aircraft governed by the FAA/USPA then he shouldn't have done it, period. It is definitely burning our sport, and I'm not cool with that. Things like that need to be taken to some random south american country, that nobody has heard of, and where you are not breaking any laws.
Travis' experience is very lacking, and it does bother me that he is doing such dangerous things, I also do not want to see him hurt. If he was killed doing a triple backflip on his dirt bike, then people would say he died pushing the envelope of a sport that he was a master of, and that it was a death worthy of someone like him. But, if he died doing that moto base jump just because he decided to delay a little too long, that would be weak, and I think many people would be disappointed.
With all of that money burning in his pocket, he should camp out at a major dropzone and and rack up a few hundred more jumps, that way if he does go in, it will be more of a calculated risk, rather than uncalculated recklessness.
The impact of the public's view however, I think would not change. To a whuffo 100 jumps might as well be 10,000. When I tell people that I jump with my own parachute, they ask me if I can take them on a tandem!!
You make some valid points, and I have very much enjoyed debating this convo. I am also in favor of letting it be, I need to get back to work and make money for jumping!
Have a good one

The impact of the public's view however, I think would not change.

Not the publics opinion i am that worried about. It is more the opinion of one person in the public who lives next to a noisy dropzone and decides to do some research into his death and find out it was illegal and he was not experienced and that if they make enough noise that they might have a chance to finally close down that noisy dz that they hate living next to.

Chain reaction could happen when it hits the media and then a senator could get involved and loby for the sport to be illegal in that state because there has been other illegal going ons at that dropzone in the past. Then media hits and other states start lobying it until it is outlawed nation wide.

This is all circumstantial and i dont even live in America. But if skydiving was EVER made illegal in America it would kill the sport worldwide.
America is where skydiving is at. Europe has some cool goings on as well but the states is where it is at.

With your country at war at the moment and all this terrorist thing going on, if anyone was to loby against skydiving i am sure they could spin some terrorism bullshit and get alot of support behind making it illegal.
That is when i would care about public opinion.

Ok, i might be being way too dramatic here but at the same time, we have not had a HIGH profile death in the eyes of the public that i know of and i imagine that if there was a HIGH profile death in the states and it was all over the news then there would be some major media investigations going on and that would cause alot of people alot of shit.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I have always liked Travis Pastrana. My oldest son has a huge poster of him in his bedroom. I think it does take balls to even attempt what he does on a cycle. He has done many things on a cycle FIRST only to have other cyclists follow him.

Bobbi

In my opinion he (travis) is not much of a role model.. here is a pic from his web site of him shooting at fish from a boat, he litters the desert floor with motorcycle parts (oil, fuels) and destroys plant life to make himself look good for video sales. (note: I assume he littered the desert floor with fuels as I have no way to prove or disprove that act)
Joe

Edit to add pic!

What's wrong with shooting fish? It's been a few years since I've done it, but it wasn't illegal then, and certainly not wrong for any other reason. Bitches are hard to hit, as well.

Also, my understanding is that the GC bike/BASE jump was a permitted activity done with minimal fuel/oil, and that the bike and/or parts were collected aftewards.

Well to me shooting fish or trying to shoot fish is just a waste of life if you in fact do shoot them. I am an avid hunter and harvest for food and not one animal will ever be on display in my home, the death of an animal is not for fun but for food in my home, to harm otherwise is the act of someone with an issues.. it's like getting into fights at a bar.. to kill for fun is odd and maybe one should be check out mentally.. (in my opinion)
the next is whats minimal amount of fuel and oil.. if someone was to dump oil in your lawn, sidewalk or drive you would want the minimal amount, but you probably would not want any dumped at all right?
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

Shooting at fish? come on bro!! U must be kidding if you are telling me that bothers you. at least they aren't hanging on a hook and a piece of rope for an hour. And as far as littering oil and fuel, I'm sure you have not deposited a single drop of fuel into the atmosphere in all of those 3000 skydives, have you? THE GUY RIDES BIKES FOR A FUCKING LIVING!!!!!!! That means he burns fuel too. Littering bike parts???? hahahaha. the places he riders are designated areas, and that means litter all the bike parts and destroy as many plants as you like. He has bigger balls than 98% of the people on this forum, and his ego is not any bigger than an average joe. So I say way to go Travis. you are the man

I see that you have changed your issues on some of travis actions, either way thats fine as your opinion is fine either way, we don't have to agree.
But really, killing in the name of fun is okay for you? So where do you draw the line? did you get mad when Mike Vick the football guy was having dogs fight to the death or was that okay as well? afetr all thier just dogs right, I mean travis was killing just fish.
maybe random killing of deer, fish, dogs birds and rabbits is okay but you draw the line with humans? when is it okay to just kill for fun?
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

I think killing just to kill is fine if you are dealing with a pest, not to say that a fish is a pest, but how do you know that he didn't cook the thing after he shot it? I personally have no problem watching a family of skunks meet the tires of an 18 wheeler.
Its coming right for us!

I think the argument of dropping fuel coming from skydiver is fucking hillarious.
We jump out of planes 100s of times a year for the fun of it. We are wasting fuel and polluting the earth for the fun of it. no purpose whatsoever. it is not to get from point A to point B.

Shooting fish, well thats just stupid.

I saw travis on conan late night the other night and he really did come off like a twat. Did anyone else see it?

Kept going on about how he has broken EVERY SINGLE bone in his body. Whatever.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

here is a pic from his web site of him shooting at fish from a boat

although I think its stupid I really cant see anything wrong with it in the context of what many other hunters do..

traditional fisher men complaining about people using guns (or bows even, which I have to admit to having tried (unsuccessfully) at one time) isnt much different than the guy with the spear complaining about those 'new fangled inventions' used by hunters with guns.

IMO everyone in any hunting/fishing endeavor should be forced to use tools made and powered by their own skills and muscle.

sure it does but only for selfish reasons. Does he know what harm jumping out of a plane without a parachute could do for skydiving if he was to die? That 'could' possibly affect all of our lives. Does he give any thought to that?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store