RALFFERS

Minor Accident

STUPID %$*&&&&^* CHICAGO DRIVERS!!!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!! >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

I'm driving along from my sisters house, and some asshat fucktard dimwitted douche bag desides to hit my mirror... There was a reduction in lanes o my side - I was in the left lane of a 2-lane main street, & this was the lane that was ending; so in accordance to how the cones were being laid out ahead I began to switch to the right lane - that's when I heard a "pop" & noticed my mirror was gone (just the glass.) In truth, either of us could be at fault, but seeing that I stopped, waited for 10-15, with my emergency lights on minutes while the other driver never came makes the other person guilty in my mind...

Funny thing is, only the glass piece is gone - the motor & metal backing is working & intact; I don't even see a mark where it was hit, Nonetheless, I'm going to have to by a whole new mirror & blow $50-$80 which I don't have mind you.) [:/]

Edited to add: what a way to end a MONDAY....

God I'm so mad!!
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Did you actually see the car hit you?
I was cruising down a quiet street in my Jeep CJ-5 with the top off and the windshield folded down when my rightside mirror just shattered, scaring the hell out of me. No other cars were around.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Is it possible the other driver didn't realize he'd hit your mirror? That may not give enough of a vibration or sound like a fender bender would. Sucks though. [:/]

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I was cruising down a quiet street in my Jeep CJ-5 with the top off and the windshield folded down when my rightside mirror just shattered, scaring the hell out of me. No other cars were around.

Sounds like someone took a pellet gun shot at your mirror. :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

That's really weird... :S

In answer to your question - no, I didn't actually see the car hit me; but I heard a definite pop (& not just the sound of glass shatter) so someone certainly git me - I think. :S

You realize the mirror faces toward the driver, so the shot would have had to come from my direction. That would have placed the shooter behind me and on the opposite side of a 4-lane street. Hell of a shot with a pellet gun at a moving target.

The guy at the glass shop told me this was not all that uncommon; Glass and metal have different coefficients of thermal expansion. Put a piece of glass in a metal frame that fits too tight, and wait for the temperature to change rapidly. This occurred late on a summer day in TX.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

You realize the mirror faces toward the driver, so the shot would have had to come from my direction. That would have placed the shooter behind me and on the opposite side of a 4-lane street. Hell of a shot with a pellet gun at a moving target.

The guy at the glass shop told me this was not all that uncommon; Glass and metal have different coefficients of thermal expansion. Put a piece of glass in a metal frame that fits too tight, and wait for the temperature to change rapidly. This occurred late on a summer day in TX.
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of that. But still, it could be possible to take a shot at that mirror from behind and/or above, not necessarily from across the street. Unlikely, true....

If the glass was a tight fit, causing it to shatter like you said, then it was a design flaw.

STUPID %$*&&&&^*......and some asshat fucktard dimwitted douche bag

I'm pretty sure this constitutes a personal attack. :)

Don

But not knowingly against another dz.commer, so he's safe. :P

Go to a junk yard. Replace it yourself. :)

PC for junk yard is now "recycling centers";):D

Hmmm...."Mean as a recycling center dog".:|
Nah, just doesn't have the same ring to it.[:/]

going with the idea that someone did hit me... Ya know, I'll be the 1st to admit I can be a little wild sometimes..I always find myself driving 25-30 mph over the speed limit (yet haven't had an accident in 5 years or or a speeding ticket in 7 years.) Come to think of it, I only have ever gotten 1 ticket.

Nonetheless, it's the stupid shit that happens when I actually do FOLLOW the speed limit & laws of the road - go figure that 1 out... :S

On another note......can I get a mirror in the same color at a junk yard? I don't see why not; black, if anything is quite a common color.

You can probably pop the glass piece out, then back into your mirror housing.

I hit an in credibly unlucky seagull with my mirror a year ago, while driving Highway 1. It made a mess on the front of my mirror, and the glass popped out. I couldn't do much about the bird, but went back on the road, found the (undamaged) glass and popped it back in. Still works.

If you'd been using that mirror for a proper merge, you'd know who hit you.:P

That is true - and you don't go to the "Recycling" center, you go to the glass compacy, they will cut you a new mirror and you "glue" it in with RTV. (What the hell is "RTV"? What I mean is silicon.)

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

Usually, almost any glass distributor and even some arts & crafts stores can cut you a piece of mirror glass, that you can replace it with. If it's a heated mirror and you've lost the heating element, you probably won't be able to find that part separately....but that's why God made ice-scrapers.
"T'was ever thus."

Did you make sure the lane was clear before you merged?

That is exactly what I was going to ask!
I was in the left lane, merging to the right; the car that apparently hit me was in the opposing direction of traffic. But yes, I did make sure the lane was clear.

Like I said though - there is no mark(s) on my car; no foreign paint, no scratches no nothing.

Possible my tires kicked up a rock or something?...:S

What do you need the side mirror for anyway, you obviously don't use them.:o:o:o:o

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Actually, I'm constantly looking in my mirrors - I even have the little blind spot mirrors. Again, I was hit by a car [apparently] from the opposing direction of traffic; that's not something you see in a mirror. :P:P

Actually, I'm constantly looking in my mirrors - I even have the little blind spot mirrors.

It's not paranoia if there really is someone out to get you.:D