LisaM

3D Movies

Disney announced on Tuesday (April 8) that all computer-animated features from Disney and Pixar will be released in digital 3-D starting this year with Bolt (set to release in November, featuring voice work by Miley Cyrus and John Travolta). The studio follows in the footsteps of DreamWorks Animation, which announced last summer that starting in 2009 it would be releasing all of its computer-animated titles in 3-D. Disney also announced its upcoming slate of films on Tuesday, including Pixar's first 3-D feature, Up, set to debut in May 2009; Rapunzel, slated for December 2010; Toy Story 3, June 2010; The Bear and the Bow — featuring the voices of Reese Witherspoon, Billy Connolly, and Emma Thompson — slated for Christmas 2011; and Cars 2, set for release in 2012

Do you read this as they will ONLY release them as 3D??

Anyone else here that can't see 3D?

But but but, I love Pixar! They can't do this to me!

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Do you read this as they will ONLY release them as 3D??

They are making the movies in 3D and will be releasing them that way in selected theaters, but not all theaters will be capable of projecting 3D for quite awhile.

Since the films are computer generated, it's only vaguely more work to do this.

It's a matter of "future proofing" their work for the day when 3D screens will be widely available not only in movie theaters but also homes.

This ISN'T the crappy red/blue 3D of the 1950s.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Me. Only my right eye works...been that way since birth so i've never seen 3D. And don't even get me started on those magic eye pictures. [:/]:(

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Still doesn't help some of us. B|

ltdiver

Oh, understood, but this is no more obtrusive than real life.

By the time this makes it into the home theater will I need to wear the 3D glasses still to prevent distortion?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I have 2 but the left one isn't fully functional so I don't do those dumb 3D glasses. I just see shadows of colors. :(

Like Quade said, this isn't the red/blue of the past. Maybe viewing will still be ok for you? I'd be willing to take you to a show and find out... ;)
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Me. Only my right eye works...been that way since birth so i've never seen 3D. And don't even get me started on those magic eye pictures. [:/]:(

I hate those Magic Eye pics. I tried for a while convinced I could pull it off. But no-go.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

Since my left eye works somewhat, real life isn't too bad. I do have poor depth perception. I suck at basketball and hate parking in tight spots cause I can't tell how far away the other cars are.

But for the most part I function normally. Jusst don't take away Pixar!

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

As long as you wear the 3D glasses, you won't have any color distortion/double image... it's the same as someone with stereopsis wearing the 3D glasses and closing one eye, no distortion, just doesn't look like the image is popping out of the screen any more.

Watching a movie projected in 3D without the glasses on won't work for anyone :)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Yeah, I was blown away by the last 3D movie I saw. Can't remember what it was called, but it was something about the deep sea at an IMAX theater. The effects were so cool, I was reaching out trying to grab things, just like all the little kids in the audience. :D

I have 2 but the left one isn't fully functional so I don't do those dumb 3D glasses. I just see shadows of colors. :(

I have the same exact problem. I have very little depth perception. The funny thing is when I mentioned to my eye doc that I was skydiving (back when I was still airborne, and god help me I will be again) she laughed and said that I must have DAMN good shadow perception then. She is a GA pilot :D

Landings were really not a problem for me, so long as I was not cut off....that is a whole other story though.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Modern 3d is not the Red/Blue shadows but instead it uses polerized glasses to make the image easier to see. We went to see Meet the Robinson's in 3D and I took the glasses off a few times in the middle of the 3 D scene and you couldn't tell the difference except the images were flat again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Digital_3-D
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

You can have depth perception with one eye completely removed from your head :)
There are something like 10 cues to depth... things like relative size (things that are closer to you appear bigger), relative motion (move your head and closer things appear to move more than farther things), superimposition (closer things block farther things), shadow interpretation, etc.

Only stereopsis requires both eyes to be focused on the same thing at the same time with the brain paying attention to both images ... that's what's required for 3D movies and magic pictures.

For the people who see the shadowy second image with 3D glasses, you probably have a little bit of fusion between eyes, but your brain has no idea how to weld those images into one... vision therapy actually teaches the brain how to do that a bit better, but the results are best when a kid.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

We went to see Meet the Robinson's in 3D and I took the glasses off a few times in the middle of the 3 D scene and you couldn't tell the difference except the images were flat again.]

Meet the Robinsons in 3D would be awesome!!!

Like others have said... Digital 3D or not shouldn't affect any normal viewing... the beauty of digital.

I know there was another movie that Beth and I have been wanting to see in 3D... but I dont recall what it was... the last one we saw was really neat.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

You can have depth perception with one eye completely removed from your head

I asked my eye doc about that when i first started jumping and was having landing issues. He wouldn't let me blame my bad landings on only seeing with one eye....but at least i tried!! :D

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!