leroydb

HAM Radio

Well I don't get that far with only 10 watts from a ancient FT-301S...:)
Give us a shout on IRLP node #6340 sometime between about 0300z and 1800z - could be a bit of amusement. You could try node #6499 but I wouldn't bet on it being there, it's a repeater awfully close to a fucking pager system squirting out about a squigawatt of digital crap which manages to break through a better than -100db cavity set...:(:(:(

Ooroo
Mark F...
VK3ZMF

dipole tuned for 11m but also works ok for 10m. Looking to DX on fm if i can find the people

I ma thinking abotu a directional antena for when I go to Asscrackistan... point that sukker at the USA east coast and wait for the skip to kick in
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

You guys have alot of 10m repeaters out that way? I love ten meters HF 'cuz it's so hot during the day and when the sunspot numbers are up - Too bad they're sinking right now. By the time they're rocking again I should have a tribander up at around 35-40 feet in addition to the GAP. I wish I had room for a longwire for 40 and 80.

Easy Does It

Yo. I was licensed as a ham at the age of 14. That was back when you ahd to learn 5wpm code.

Then the classes changed and they say I have to take the tech test to advance. Thats BS. So I stayed novice.

I have contacted a few islands, including Christmas Island.. Islands are my favorite. Also have a 1010 #.

KC4JOT

Clint S.
http://sexygirlabs.com/url]

Yo. I was licensed as a ham at the age of 14. That was back when you ahd to learn 5wpm code.

Then the classes changed and they say I have to take the tech test to advance. Thats BS. So I stayed novice.

I have contacted a few islands, including Christmas Island.. Islands are my favorite. Also have a 1010 #.

KC4JOT

Clint S.

I too had to do the 5WPM thing, and the guy who was my teacher, his call sign was AH8HA which as you may know 8 designate a island region.
The reasoning was people would see his call and think island and he would get more qsl's.
Could I do 5wpm today? not on your life.:P

blues

jerry

I'm holding a General class ticket right now, KB2NYA. I was fairly proficient at code, I think my speed was around 20 or so when I was on 40 and 80 on a regular basis. Haven't used it in a while so I'd have a challenge even with 5. I still have my Bencher paddle with the MFJ memory keyer built in. I'd have to get on the air and really listen for awhile. I used to be able to copy in my head and just write down the important stuff like call and QTH.

For some reason I've been able to resist selling my equipment for jump money and stuff.

_.. . _._ _... .._ _ _ _. _._ _ ._ ..._._

Easy Does It

I was into it for a while in my teens, but moved on. I gave all my gear away when I left Tidewater.

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

Cool, My dad and I both got our license at the same time and like our USPA # and license all of them are consecutive.:)
KE6IZH

My Grandpa was a retired engineer and built all his own radios. He used to talk in code to people all over the world (late 60's early 70's). He had QSL cards from all over too. I still remember his call letters; K8AJT:)

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

The advent of LSI has made it possible for people to build their own again, but now without being overwhelmed with tube theory, etc.

Czech out Ramsey Electronics. They make inexpensive kits that they claim to have worked most of the world with.

I've chatted with people as far away as Austrailia by using Roger Wilco over the Internet. Very much like Amateur Radio.

One thing I miss is going to hamfests. I loved all the exotic and offbeat electronic gear you could pick up in a place like that.:S:D

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

The name of the kits he built was "Heathkit". He also built a console with two types of code keys and a voice microphone. It was really high-speed for it's time and it was all vacuum tubes.
I've got alot of great memories sitting there watching him dot and dash on his code keys, I had no idea what he was saying but it sounded cool!

"Just 'cause I'm simple, don't mean I'm stewpid!"

Like I need another hobby...
but...

Judging from how much I enjoy internet chatting with people so distant -- I guess I just like communications... I think I might like to get a bit into this radio stuff.

First, what does "HAM" mean?? I've wondered that for decades.

Second, please post or PM what one has to do to get a start in this kind of radio hobby. What must one buy, and know, to do it?

It seems fascinating.

I taught myself Morse code for the letters in the alphabet years ago, and I still could recite them, but I never did gain any proficiency at receiving it. Is there any kind of common conventional way to train to send and receive Morse code? Is there even a computer tutorial program for it?

Thanks.
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

wow everybody so technical... i was just remeber ing what i learned in a tech school the air force sent me to.... hehehehe... no liscence required for military trafic...... really don't like you transmiting on normal bands though,, had a radio you could go cruse around in a car and tune it to every ststion a car will pick up...... never did get to try the this is god talking to you skit with random people...

check out www.qrz.com They have a classifieds section and I belive you can find some software and a key for morse code practice. It isnt required to know morse code to get license now..

But if you want to get more privleges, you will have to know code. Im not sure but I think its like 15wpm for the extra class..

I have a nice rig if your interested.

GL with it.

Clint S.
http://sexygirlabs.com/url]

Depends on the height of the aerial and the type used. A dipole at a reasonable height will kick out around 12 miles. Get a unidirectional or J-Pole up nice and high with perfect line of sight and you could reach 20.

Edit: but this isnt really HAM.. the emphasis is on high quality signal output and minimal bleeding :)

'buttplugs? where?' - geno