BillyVance

Gas Price Check - who's got the cheapest?

I would love to hear from one of the resident experts.

One question: How do we know they're really resident experts?:|

Actually I have heard that running a higher octaine can do more harm than good to an engine. The only reasion you should be running higher octaine gas is if you have a higher compression engine. Or if you are running a turbo
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I have 2 vehicles but the one in question is an '07 Civic Si. I personally don't mind the extra 10 cents/gallon in order to get the best performance from my engine.

Maybe we can have one of our resident experts speak, er write on octane v. performance...pros/cons..etc....

The Si engine is a high-revving, short stroke, high-compression engine. It needs the extra octane. The knock sensors can only do so much against a low-torque power plant.

I drive a 4-cylinder inline, 4-stroke, DOHC, w/ a 11.5 to 1 compression ratio that makes 147.8 BHP @ 10,000 rpm. Redline is 12,000 rpm. My manual states 87 octane is recommended. Been running that for years now, no problemos. OK, it's a motorcycle but seems to me about the same as a small car.

Here it's $3.59 and going up.

HA! - I only WISH it was that 'cheap' here...

over $4.00 - and going up.B|:|>:(

Edited to add: The above is for regular/unleaded - mid-grade, 91 & premium, 93 are at $4.30-$4.50 or thereabout.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

I have 2 vehicles but the one in question is an '07 Civic Si. I personally don't mind the extra 10 cents/gallon in order to get the best performance from my engine.

Maybe we can have one of our resident experts speak, er write on octane v. performance...pros/cons..etc....

The Si engine is a high-revving, short stroke, high-compression engine. It needs the extra octane. The knock sensors can only do so much against a low-torque power plant.

I drive a 4-cylinder inline, 4-stroke, DOHC, w/ a 11.5 to 1 compression ratio that makes 147.8 BHP @ 10,000 rpm. Redline is 12,000 rpm. My manual states 87 octane is recommended. Been running that for years now, no problemos. OK, it's a motorcycle but seems to me about the same as a small car.

Engine less than half the size moving 20% of the weight...nope not the same.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

damn i love my hybrid:D you really cant beat upwards of 40-50 miles a gallon:o:P

Tue - but many people in the automotive industry told me those batteries/motors need maintenance or replacement every 3-5 years. If that's the case, I'd rather have a car that gets 35-38 MPG & spare myself the extra costs.

Damn shame too! - Chevy just came out with a hybrid Tahoe; I love that car... [:/]

damn i love my hybrid:D you really cant beat upwards of 40-50 miles a gallon:o:P

i can, i get about 70-80 mpg...but i dont drive a car...i got a crotchrocket

(noted mpg's are when you drive it nicely, not like a racer, as then i only get about 60)

Here it's $3.59 and going up.

So, now the question is - will gas ever go back down??

I can't imagine that it'll continue just going up (of course, what in the hell do I know...) Economics have never worked that way though.

Toyota MR-2 Spyder convertible.

Did that come factory with a rainbow sticker?

Hey, I wasn't the one who bought it. My wife did. She wanted a fun car to drive to reward herself for earning her Masters degree. I admit it was a fun car to drive, but I liked my old 1975 Porsche 914 better. :P And oh yeah, I have gotten speeding tickets in both. Hell I have speeding tickets in just about every car I owned, including both of my wife's cars! :D:D:D

When she got pregnant, we traded the Spyder in for a family car.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It's the same in Texas... $3.44 is the cheapest I found it and that was at Wal-Mart (Murphy USA). The usually going price is $3.49/gal.

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself