mdrejhon

Recent Experiences with Carry-On Bags in USA? (Feb 2009)

Hello,

After what happened last December, I am curious how restrictive the carry-on baggage policies are right now.

i.e. As of Febuary 25, is it still more difficult to carry-on baggage and/or skydive gear, than before?

With events coming up this spring, some of us (myself included) are wondering...

Attempted bombing and subsequent ban on carryons. Yeah, ban on carryons. They've been reinstated, but a bit more restrictive...

Actually, I should have posted this in Gear & Rigging.

Honestly I don't know that I would care if carry-ons were banned. I traveled once/twice a week for nearly two years on business and always checked everything other than my laptop bag (only because I wanted to use my laptop during the flight). Not one time did I find that my checked luggage was lost or find that something from a checked bag was missing. At the time there wasn't a fee for checked luggage unless it exceeded a weight limit, so perhaps that is a motivation for those who try to carry on "everything" these days.

If carry-ons were banned, I'm sure there would be more instances of lost luggage, but it doesn't mean that the ratio of passengers to lost/delayed bags will change dramatically. No one wants to lose luggage, but it can and will happen to some people at some point in time.

And what ever would they do with all of those overhead compartments? B|
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

The first time I flew with my rig i checked it. Neve again, if I can help it. I got through security and heard my name being paged. When I returned to the ticket/baggage area, a new TSA agent had started opening my rig before someone stopped him. Fortunately, he started with the main and not the reserve. I was a bit grumpy with him. :)

If they want to swab and look at my rig, fine, but I'm going to be there with it to hopefully keep things from happening that shouldn't. And I have run into TSA agents severaly times that haven't had a clue what it was or if it was ok. I was there to explain. Oh, and the letter from TSA and x-ray card of the AAD did absolutely no good. They had to find the information in their own manuals. I make sure I allow plenty of time to get through security.

"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

When was the first time that you checked your rig? I would have been grumpy too, but how does the experience compare to the number of skydivers who have been through "shit" trying to carry on their rig (in a bag)? I'm just curious. I ask the question, because I don't know the answer. Is it easier in comparison on average?

I've never checked or carried on a "skydiving rig" and my flight next week will be with a rig of a different type, but 99.9 percent of TSA employees won't know the difference. I would be willing to bet on that.

I know this isn't the thread for it, but I'm more concerned about getting any sort of parachute system through airport security. Parachutists will always be a niche crowd to the TSA, no matter what the words on the paper tell them to do.

*confusion*
Serious relationships turn into work after a few weeks and I already got a fucking job :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H.A.F. = Hard As Fuck ... Goddamn Amateurs

I think your experience will depend a lot on which airports you're going through. If you're going through someplace like Orlando or Pheonix where they see rigs all of the time you probably won't even get a second glance, especially this time of year with all of the skydivers who travel for the winter. If you're going through a smaller airport it may be a different experience.

Here's what I do when I travel and I havn't had any problems.

1) Don't pack anything other than the rig in the carry on (be sure to take your hook knifes off and put them in your checked bag)
2) Don't warn the x-ray screener it's a rig. Just wait while it goes through. If they rescan it more than once then mention it's a skydiving parachute.
3) Have the x-ray card and TSA letter on your person, not in the rig bag or another carry on.
4) Try not to look nervous like you're trying to sneek something on the plane.
5) Be polite if they ask any questions.
6) Carry a pulll up cord in case they do want to open the rig.

Good luck.

Since Christmas, the SO and I have been through security in Oakland, Phoenix, SFO, and Miami with multiple rigs. I don't think they've even been pulled out to be swabbed in any of those airports. If anything the TSA seems *less* interested (but that's probably just a coincidence).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

On Feb 5-7th, I traveled to Skydive Jamaica. I brought my rig carry-on. I passed through Milwaukee, Atlanta and Kingston. I never even got a second glance. The TSA guy in Milwaukee wanted to know, in a casual conversational way, where I was going. Another TSA guy commented that skydiving is on his bucket-list. I invited him to the DZ!

Honestly, nobody cared! It was WAY less hassle than I was expecting.

I travelled last week with my rig as a carry-on out of Nashville. I had the rig in a backpack by itself (counted it as my small personal item, since it fits under the seat). I had the TSA letter and X-ray card in my pocket just in case. I also carried on my other gear in my small luggage; such as altimeters, helmet etc. Didn't have any problems whatsoever.

In Nashville as the rig was scanning the security ran it the second time and I simply asked "would you like the X-ray card?" He said what is it... scuba gear? I said "no, it is skydiving equipment for an event I'm going to." He glanced at the card in my hand for a split second, looked down at the screen and said "you're nuts, have a good time"

On my return flight I did the same thing out of Phoenix and all that happened when the rig was going through the scanner was a supervisor came over to swab it, then sent me on my way. Much easier than I anticipated.

This was my first time travelling with gear on an airplane and I think it went so smooth because all the great advice DZ.com users provided on these blogs...Thanks guys and gals!
THRIVING IN MY DASH!!

I traveled to Jamaica Jan 23 thru 28 and carried my rig on the airplane. I carry the rig in a black duffle bag that’s big enough to stuff both the main and reserve if I was forced to unpack both of them (I believe I could still stuff in the overhead as well). I also only have my helmet, my logbook, cypress card (xray image), and TSA information/document downloaded from USPA website in the bag. I could pack my helmet (Z1) in checked luggage and I have before but I am always afraid of it getting crushed in transit – that’s just me. I also put any other documents (passport/tickets), my altimeter, MP3, and ditter in a different smaller bag (most airlines allow for 2 bags) and ensure that doesn’t go through the xray at the same time as the rig. I figure more wires and electronics will draw attention of the TSA inspector – no need to raise a flag if you don’t have to. I do ensure that my hook-knife is indeed packed in my checked luggage.
Departed Chicago/Ohare thru DFW to Montego Bay. I was not questioned at all, nor did any TSA give the bag a seconded look and customs officials asked no pointed questions.
For those interested, Skydive Jamaica is a must-do! I had an awesome time and I highly recommend this DZ.Returned Motego Bay thru Miami to Chicago/Ohare with the same result. I was not questioned at all, nor did any TSA give the bag a seconded look and customs officials asked no pointed questions.
The biggest pain, obviously is, that you have to “carry” your rig through the airport. That’s the price for piece of mind. Bummer if you have to go from one end of the airport to the other to get to the right gates. I agree with those that feel carrying the rig on is the best course of action. Like skydiving, you should expect problems but with the proper precaution and preparedness you should not experience any issues.
Happy Traveling and Big Bright Blue Skies!!
Anvil Brother #70

"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching." - Dogbert

I went to Orlando from Halifax with my rig in checked baggage...dude at the X ray asked me if it was a parachute and that was all.

Bought too much stuff in Florida and took rig as a carry on not in a bag...TSA girl at Orlando asked to swab my rig saying she would not open it...handed it back and actually appoligized for swabbing it.

I've always carried on my rig, in its own gear backpack.

I've always carried on two backpacks -- one large backpack as my carryon, and a second smaller laptop backpack as my personal item. When I board, I wear one backpack and carry the other by its handle. If I am standing for long periods, I wear the other backpack on my chest. That way, I only need to check one small suitcase containing my other skydive gear as well as banned items such as the safety hook knife, toiletries, etc.

I'm going to do what I have always been doing, hopefully I won't have problems going to ParacleteXP, Z-Team 2010, and Perris.

Traveling to Bridge Day a bunch of times in the 1980s groups of us just wore our rigs (some BASE and some skydiving) over our shoulders, out in the open, on airliners. The one time anyone said anything to me it was a flight attendant. After I explained she apologized and whispered, "You know, it's the DB Cooper thing."

"But D.B. Cooper," I answered her, "was a criminal."

And I got free drinks across the whole country . . .

NickD :)

I have recently flown into Pheonix/Mesa, San Diego, Seattle and Las Vegas with my rig in its own bag. The worst I got was leaving Vegas. I checked in at the counter and the agent put some blue tape on my bag to say it was OK as carry on. When I got to the gate I left the bag with a friend and went off to the bathroom. When I returned I found some one from the gate had walked by and seen my rig and said it was obviously too big and tagged it to be taken off and stowed like a stroller or wheel chair.

I was a bit hot because I have traveled with it like this a lot and no trouble. I objected at the counter and the guy just said as long as it fits in the test area. ( little bars simulating overhead ). So I took it up there and it fit. (it looks big but the rig is smaller than the bag)

What I ended up with is a lesson. If it happens again I'll just act dumb and go gee? really? Because as they called my seat I put the bag on over my coat (black bag, black coat) and she couldn't even see it. I kept my back away from her and as I walked down the ramp I ripped the tag off. No tag, no body to take it from me at the plane. Problem solved.

Usually its just a swab ( normally by a super, who knows why) but as I fly more the normal places I visit pay way more attention to my laptop and cameras and just wave the rig through.

Okay, they ARE more strict now!

I was forced to turn back and check the skydiving rig in its backpack, fortunately they caught me early and I lost only 5 minutes. Montreal's International Airport now has "carryon police" before every lineups, to verify your carryon is to far stricter regulation.

Thankfully they didn't even open the bag, I wrapped the rig in its TSA/Cypres2 printout so they would recognize it, and the piece of paper was undisturbed. And a lot of us skydivers throw our gearbags around anyway or drop our rigs onto packing mats from 2-3 foot up -- thankfully baggage handlers were far more wimpy with the bag than I was. My main concern is them trying to give my reserve an "inspection" (resulting in a hard-to-stow mess of fabric, and an expensive repack for me)

All went well, but I will be changing my baggage packing procedures, to allow me to carryon my rig and laptop in the same bag.... (Thankfully I carry a 3 pound high performance Core2 ultraportable -- netbook sized full performance machine)

I just flew today... In an unnammed US international airport with a subcontracted security company running it instead of TSA, they did not even pull my rig aside. Normally they need a supervisor to inspect and swab it. It reminds me of pre-9/11!

Somehow, at the moment, since Christmas, Canadian airports have better security than American airports for some reason. Normally you American spend more on security...

Montreal spent 3x the time analyzing my bags, and they have full body scanners, and asked me to open up the laptops and small camera pouches, and nitpicked over a small tube that was not in a plastic bag. They were friendly though, except for your friendly neighbourhood "carryon nazis" at the front before the security area that seemed to be party poopers for a lot of traveller. (Ok, ok -- they were just doing their job.) It'd be nice to have a large flashing banner above the entrance, "WARNING: Carryon rules are being strictly enforced today!"

I think this may be an overreaction mode, from some recent controversy expediting a famous celebrity person through security, not just the Xmas eve scare... The body scanner is interesting and not intrusive at all IMHO, and was the most pleasant part of the security experience. Just stand there, 3 seconds, whirly-whoosh, step out.

I've always carried on my rig, in its own gear backpack.

I've always carried on two backpacks -- one large backpack as my carryon, and a second smaller laptop backpack as my personal item. When I board, I wear one backpack and carry the other by its handle. If I am standing for long periods, I wear the other backpack on my chest. That way, I only need to check one small suitcase containing my other skydive gear as well as banned items such as the safety hook knife, toiletries, etc.

I'm going to do what I have always been doing, hopefully I won't have problems going to ParacleteXP, Z-Team 2010, and Perris.

Both New Orleans and Denver international did not say anything about my hook knife and it went on the plane with me and my rig.:S:| Some TSA are just clueless.

They did swab it in Denver though.
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

The Canadian side merely is acting as the TSA has instructed them to do for flights destined for the USA. Only yesterday I had to deal with security in YEG and YEC and was able to have a fairly lengthy chat with one of the supervisors. Much of the money being spent in Canadian airports comes from the US/Homeland Security. That was a surprise to me.
Flights into the USA now only allow one carryon plus one laptop bag. Until a month ago, the laptop bag could not have shoulder straps so laptop backpacks and a standard carryon suitcase were not permitted.[:/] Carrying a rig and a laptop case with shoulderstraps still isn't permitted.