ntrprnr

Fournier from a corporate point of view...

If I were his sponsors right now, I'd be RIPSHIT pissed off.

I don't have all the facts, granted, but this seems like stupid human error. Can't do it because of weather, understandable. Acts of God? Sure.

But to not tie down the freaking balloon? Amateur hour. If I were any of his sponsors, I'd be not only completely pulled out by now, but possibly prepping a lawsuit.

I'm speaking strictly from a corporate side - I do stunts and events and such for a living - we have countless clauses we have to sign - it something goes wrong because of me or my staff's stupidity, it's my fault, end of story.

Thoughts?

Well.....

It MIGHT be equipment failure.. Then it's a different story...
But I'll guess there will be reports about it... Human error or equipment issues..

[Edit - spelling issues]
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

At least he is getting a heck of alot of publicity.

BP
:)
When you think about it though, he's not. Comparative to what he would get if he made it, which is what the sponsors signed on for and forked over cash for, he's not. Balloon went up without him, ha ha ha, he's an idiot, story forgotten, life moves on. Shatters record, helps save future astronaut lives, the "Fournier maneuver" becomes standard on space stations, whatever - that's what they signed on for.

See the difference?

What was the ST:TNG episode where the first scientist to hit warp flight had a whole bunch of crap named after him, and that's what people remembered? Same thing.

To be a sponsor/part of that is huge - to be the company who put up $500k so some dumbass could forget to tie a hitch knot? I don't think so.

-PHS

When selling the idea to corporate sponsorship, it's got to be tough. There is other groups out there doing the same thing.

The selling points are:
It's really difficult.
There are a lot of technical issues and we've got experts.

Instead, you've got no balloon and a guy walking around in a yellow suit.

If I was a sponsor, I'd be looking at the other groups right now.

If there were other issues, maybe someone could spin it. If you lose a balloon, nobody returns your calls.
This may have been his last shot.

Maybe he will become the 'Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards' of high-altitude skydiving.:D

Michelle "The Lutz" Fournier?:o

:D:D:D:D I know - I amuse myself way to easily . . .:ph34r:
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Maybe he will become the 'Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards' of high-altitude skydiving.:D

No, Eddie actually completed his ski jumps, or ski drops with him.

I'm trying to think of an UN-spectacular failure caused by something so simple. I could think of Mariner 1, but that was a single hyphen in computer code that caused it - and it was spectacular.

I think that had the failure been spectacular, it would be better for the sponsors. On the other hand, the understated nature of this failure is mind boggling! The ballon floated away without even the gondola attached. It'd be like some low-rate motorcycle stunt man who puts diesel in the tank and has to cancel.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

:D:D:D:D I know - I abuse myself way to easily . . .:ph34r:

There. Fixed it for you.:P

Hey - I didn't forget to tie the string around my wrist - that was Fournier
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I hope he's got a spare this time...[:/]

mh

"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

I agree with Peter, I would be calling my legal counsel so quickly that he would not have time to get his gear off. There is no acceptable excuse for this type of negligence. The technical difficulty of this jump would have required pages of redundant operational procedures involving multiple staff. For this to happen would require total incompetence on the whole team. The only other option that I could think of is that it was intentional.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!

This boneheaded move might actually be a good thing, at least for him. After all, if he can't get an equipment inspection right, imagine the possible outcome had he actually made it to altitude and exited!

"Hey look, it's raining little yellow pieces of....spacesuit?":D

The only other option that I could think of is that it was intentional.

I gotta admit that was my first thought.

Blues,
Dave

ditto...

could it be that a determination had been made that the "jump" would not be survivable.. or some other aspect of the plan was found to be faulty...
and so they just "let the whole thing drift away"
, willing to accept the shame of "idoicy" rather than the potential for "loss of life"..
yet be unwilling to cancel..... at the twelfth hour...

i DUNNO...... seems awful weird to have the damn balloon not secured.....any reason to be filling it with helium
BEFORE the gondola had been attached????:S:o[:/] ( static elec. etc ????? )

only just picked up on this story, a couple of days ago..

was sad to see it end that way....:|[:/]

wow... lots of coin..... lots of work. lots of nuthin'.....B|:(:| too bad.

as for the OP
yes... you are correct,,, in feeling that the sponsers are Not "getting what they bargained for"...if the loss of the envelope was due to negligence.... could be trouble for the team...

jt