bazelos

Alti information

Ok call me stupid, but how does an altimeter which has it's last reading at 11k read up to 18k feet? For example, there is a store which sales an alti-2, it says,

The Altimaster II contains a durable mechanism made from temperature compensating metals for minimal friction and precision accuracy with an altitude range of 18,000 feet.

But how do read up to 18k when the last reading is 11?

Also, is this a good buy?

http://www.baddogservices.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=237&osCsid=aa1035a7ad59d645060d80ac1f16c54e
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

Fair enough, there are models that do have inside and outside readings, but, for example, you are in a night dive, you can't see anything bar the alti, you get distracted, how can you know if it's the 1st or 2nd turn?

ps I was a D student at math in highschool so I don't want to base my life on them B|

Fair enough, there are models that do have inside and outside readings, but, for example, you are in a night dive, you can't see anything bar the alti, you get distracted, how can you know if it's the 1st or 2nd turn?

ps I was a D student at math in highschool so I don't want to base my life on them B|

It's called "situational awareness". Don't get distracted - pay attention to what you are doing. Develop a mental "count" to get a feel for where you should be at any given moment.

They mean that the internal mechanism is accurate within manufacturer's standards to 18,000 FT.

As for knowing which rotation you are on, that requires a bit of mental dirt diving on your part. If you exit at, say, 16,000FT, an altimeter with a 12,000 FT face will read about 4,000 FT when you exit, and you know it's going to pass through 12,000 FT once before you can read it verbatim.

When I make military jumps from 25,000 FT, we use altimeters with a 12,000 FT face. The needle has to pass through 12,000 FT twice before you can read it verbatim. It requires good situational awareness to stay on top of things.
Arrive Safely

John

They mean that the internal mechanism is accurate within manufacturer's standards to 18,000 FT.

As for knowing which rotation you are on, that requires a bit of mental dirt diving on your part. If you exit at, say, 16,000FT, an altimeter with a 12,000 FT face will read about 4,000 FT when you exit, and you know it's going to pass through 12,000 FT once before you can read it verbatim.

When I make military jumps from 25,000 FT, we use altimeters with a 12,000 FT face. The needle has to pass through 12,000 FT twice before you can read it verbatim. It requires good situational awareness to stay on top of things.

A HALO jumper told me yesterday at the DZ that he has seen an alti that had 30K on the face, however the needle did not move linearly, it actually moved slow between 30K and 6K, then went back to the "normal" scale/speed between 6K and the ground...

If it was not Sunday morning, I would try to look it up on the web, but I am not in the mood now... Someone else can.:$

Thats interesting, i thought the military would of gave you a more suitable alti for a 25k'er. Just seems like extra to think about, especially if it was a genuine jump into combat. Not that im doubting the military or their skills :P

Anyway Bazelos, think of it like a 24 hour clock mate and stay aware.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

A HALO jumper told me yesterday at the DZ that he has seen an alti that had 30K on the face, however the needle did not move linearly, it actually moved slow between 30K and 6K, then went back to the "normal" scale/speed between 6K and the ground...

If it was not Sunday morning, I would try to look it up on the web, but I am not in the mood now... Someone else can.:$

The MA10 Series from Alti-2 will still read past 30 grand, on a second revolution, acurate to 40 grand.

I guess I will learn more and more as I get into skydiving, plus I would like to hang around the DZ and chat to instructors or people with a lot of jumps behind them. And I really need to go do my RAPS, I am getting to freaking excited, I can't sleep!

If you're worried about reading the dial, you could always go with a digital altimeter. Some, like the Neptune, also glow at night and are supposed to be good at 30k-40k AGL or more. Some people prefer an analog face others, a digital one.

Remember, your primary altimeter is your eyes. You shouldn't be trusting your life to any device besides your rig. Even on a night jump you can see lights on the ground and should be able to judge altitude based on the runway or landing area length.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

Even on a night jump you can see lights on the ground and should be able to judge altitude based on the runway or landing area length.

At Skydance, easily. At Byron, it was rather different. Once the ridge blocked out the Livermore valley, it was really dark everywhere. I almost certainly dropped a shoulder on the pull and gave myself a nice line twist. They also dropped the exit altitude a bit from the usual 15k - wonder if it was in part to eliminate altimeter confusion, along with the night vision concerns and saving some fuel.

I guess a digital one would be easier to read, but I'd rather have a mechanical one instead, I don't really trust technology, and like you guys said I just gotta concentrate...oh and hopefully I will be jumping (my first!) this weekend. B|