PalleRai

Best student rig??

Hi

I am looking for the best student rig.
Can you help me?:)

That's a good question! It is my feeling, that with the high quality of workmanship, that is quite common among manufacturer's today, can make it difficult to choose. Look for what will fill your needs as either an instructor or student. In other words, 'flexibility'. Can the rig be used to train for throw-out, or rip-cord, comfort (not likely in student rigs:D), adjustibility of the harness, looks/appearance, durability and etc. Check manufacturer's web-sites and dig, for information. Telephone calls to manufacturer's can be very helpful, by talking with their riggers.

Chuck

When it comes to a fully integrated and optioned student rig as advertised, I think Mirage has it, with their RTS.

That said I haven't seen EVERY manufacturers version of student rig.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I'd disagree. Relative Workshop's student vector is tough to beat. While the skyhook alone might make it the best bet, their adjustable main lift web design is non-abrasive and easy to use, too. Their price is right and keeping various things as options helps DZs get just the rig they need.

Ben
Mass Defiance 4-wayFS website

sticks!

As someone who came off student gear about 20 jumps ago - I highly recommend the Wings! And just to prove it I have even ordered myself a brand new Wings (though not a student one).

It has all the options, no need to retrain for different deployment or emergency procedures once off student gear, and the comfort factor is there! :o
How is it that we put man on the moon before we figured out it would be a good idea to put wheels on luggage?

I jumped the RTS when I was a student... In fact, once I got my A and could choose any rental rig on the shelf (while waiting for mine to come) - I picked the RTS over the "others" which are the typical sport rigs, whenever I could, because I found them the most comfortable...

I now jump a Vector with Skyhook, and I love it - however, I am impressed with the RTS. They get a lot of use and abuse at the DZ and they still look (and operate) brand new.

As "untrendy" as it may be to have a window to see the reserve pin on a sport rig, I actually kind of wish that was normal on sport rigs, as when I have given gear checks to students who asked for checks, it is so easy with the reserve pin window...

When it comes to a fully integrated and optioned student rig as advertised, I think Mirage has it, with their RTS.

That said I haven't seen EVERY manufacturers version of student rig.

Got the pleasure of using the RTS as a student, these rigs are very nice.. And they were fairly comfortable. Sweet rig.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

As "untrendy" as it may be to have a window to see the reserve pin on a sport rig, I actually kind of wish that was normal on sport rigs...

It is very normal on PdF rigs.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

As a jumpmaster, I really like the way clear windows make it easier to check pins in crowded airplanes.

However, the rigger in me finds them high maintenance. Students routinely scratch and bend them by banging them against doorframes. When it comes time to replace them, older patterns (i.e. Javelin) are a major sewing project for a Master Rigger. Basically, you have to make a new pin cover.
Fortunately, some of the newer patterns have plastic pieces that slide in for easy replacement (i.e. Student Vector).
Windows are available on Student: Campus/Atom (Parachutes de France), Javelin, Telesis 2 and 3, Vector, etc.

... long-winded explanation, but in the end I would chose between Telesis 3 (because it has the best adjustable MLW) and Vector (because it has the best RSL).
Third place is hotly contested by another dozen rigs. In the end, third place goes to whichever manufacturer will give you the best price.

I've heard some people wont fit windows deliberately to force people to actually lift the flap and look at the pin, making sure everythings ok, not just what you can see through the window.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Good point!

The other reason for not installing windows is their high wear rate. Clumsy students are always bashing rigs into doorframes, etc. ergo clear windows don't last very long.
The worst windows (i.e. Javelin) require a Master Rigger to replace the entire pin cover.
The best windows are Velcroed (i.e. NARO) or slip in (Atom Evolution or Vector).

There are two deployment methods for student mains: BOC throw-out and bunch of antiquated methods!
BOC also allows for quick, in-air conversion to IAD if the clouds come down.
If you plan on doing much AFF/PFF, then opt for two-handle BOC.

Sorry if I sound like a grumpy old fart, but I am one of the few instructors who is current on S/L, IAD, tandem and PFF. Last year I got re-current with S/L and got reminded about why I hated S/Ls so much.

There are two deployment methods for student mains: BOC throw-out and bunch of antiquated methods!
BOC also allows for quick, in-air conversion to IAD if the clouds come down.
If you plan on doing much AFF/PFF, then opt for two-handle BOC.

Sorry if I sound like a grumpy old fart, but I am one of the few instructors who is current on S/L, IAD, tandem and PFF. Last year I got re-current with S/L and got reminded about why I hated S/Ls so much.

I can understand static line. Then, it was rip-cord. About the only BOC instruction I've ever seen was after the student had completed the training and had purchased their own gear. About three or four practice throw-outs on the ground then, it was off to the plane! My throw-out training was during the plane ride to altitude. It consisted of 'reaches' for the handle in a crowded 182. The first thing I did after about a 30-sec. delay was... reach for a rip-cord that wasn't there! Then, it was 'oh shit' and realised I should throw-out the ROL handle. Sheesh!

Chuck

I have about 120 jumps each on Telesis I's and an RTS. I also have a handful of jumps on student Vectors and Jav's. Overall I prefer the RTS. I've listed why below.

I bought an RTS because I jump unusually large canopies and it was the only "in stock" rig that any US manufactuer/new gear dealer had on hand at the time that would work for my canopies.

While I expected the craftsmanship to be top-notch because it was a Mirage, I was prepared for it to be inferior to a true sport rig. Boy was I wrong. I love my RTS. The overengineering has let my rig easily weather some of my less than perfect HP landings, and it is incredibly comfortable. The flaps and covers are bulletproof and the "pindow" on the reserve flap is awesome even for an "up" jumper.

Recently I had the chance to get a great deal on a G3 staff rig, but I passed on it. I'm just too satisfied with my RTS.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."