Tuna-Salad

PC vs Console gaming

Used to be a PC gamer, but I don't upgrade often enough and I got sick of trying to keep up with the minimum hardware specs for new games. Now I'm 90% console, except for stuff like 'proper' flight sims that are PC/ Mac-only.

I do miss PC controls, though - console controllers aren't really ideal for pointing at stuff (unless you've got a Wii, of course!) And I reckon I'd feel more at home with the PC online community. Sometimes it feels like everyone else on Xbox Live is a trash-talking 12 year old. :|

PC > *, always.

You can tell this isn't a large gaming community. You just touched on one of the hottest, most debated topics in that industry. Any other forum and this would be at 1000 pages already with quotes from Valve, Bioware, Microsoft, Blizzard, id, etc.

Even with the popularity of gaming these days, the ratio of PC:Console has pretty much stayed the same. Most of this is due to the typical lifecycle of gaming.

That being said, between me and my roommate we own every single console system going back to Intellivision.

edit: btw, I've recently had a company discuss with me the possibility of moving out of state to start working for them on a possible big name title as a tester. I just wasn't a fan of rebooting my career at this point of my life and taking such a huge pay cut.

There will come a ubiquity in online gaming where you can play something from an xbox or a pc and be on the same game with the same people. The inputs are different but the end result is the same

Console games have their place but I dislike redundancy...I've already invested a couple grand into a computer...don't want to buy a $500 game console too that is basically a locked-down version of my computer. One thing that PCs have over consoles is that you can usually upgrade a PC for years before needing a whole new platform, but with a console you are slave to the vendor's production plan. If there were software that one could legally purchase that would allow someone to play popular console titles on a PC or Mac it would sell well....

Sort of related: back with the orignal xbox a guy released a book called "Hacking the Xbox" somewhere around 2003 or 2004. It detailed how someone could make an OK computer out of an original xbox since it was 99% a PC anyway. His publisher was threatened by Microsoft, so he self-published it. I believe laws like the DMCA made the actions of converting an xbox into a computer illegal.

i'm about 50/50.

PC for MMOs and that sort of thing. Console for everything else. for *numbers* of games, consoles wins. for play time, PC wins. In my *heart* i prefer PC games because they can be longer and more immersive based on capacity alone...

Having worked in the industry, more and more games are being ported to both, with emphasis and design on the console side. It's just a bigger market. Think about it. Mom and dad have a choice of buying a $300 console or a $1500-$2000 PC for gaming. gee....tough choice.

For the adult gamers out there (which admittedly there are more and more of), PC will always have a place. But once those adult gamers have kids...we're back to the first point :P

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I am predominately a console gamer but tehre are certain games i like on the PC only (civ 4, sim city, flight simulators).

Thing is, i use the computer so much for work that when i get around to playing games, i'd rather just sit on my couch and play on my tv.

plus xbox live rocks. COD4 and Battlefield Bad Company are great.

Mac.

WE HAVE A WINNER :P

Ok in all seriousness the only way to game is on the PS3, the rest are just wanna be consoles :S

And don't even get me started on the PC ..... as it could get ugly B|

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

I was addicted to SOCOM II on PS2 for a longggg time. Once I customized my own PC, I've really gotten into the Half-Life games, especially Half-Life 2 and its episodes.

Plus, I have to say, Counter-Strike: Source is still one of the trickiest shooters to play. I like the competition B|

Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

I pretty much just play WoW, and it works great on the mac.

That's about the only game that works on the mac. :D

Mac + Boot Camp = any game works.

*ahem* NWN2 doesn't work with ANY emulator, from what I'm told.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I pretty much just play WoW, and it works great on the mac.

That's about the only game that works on the mac. :D

Mac + Boot Camp = any game works.

*ahem* NWN2 doesn't work with ANY emulator, from what I'm told.

If NWN2 is NeverWinter Nights 2, just buy the mac version. It's been out since February.

However, it does run just fine in BootCamp. BootCamp isn't really an emulator. It actually allows the Mac to boot up in Windows.

Ok in all seriousness the only way to game is on the PS3, the rest are just wanna be consoles

I disagree. I have all 3 consoles plus a very fast PC and the 360 is what I play the most...by far. First, the controller is better for shooters (though for sports games I prefer the Dualshock), Xbox live, though a pay service, is in my opinion better than the PSN. Also, I've had all kinds of trouble buying downloadable stuff for PS3 - its like the system is very picky when you put in credit card info. Xbox live has been quick and painless.

The wii is fun with other people, but i haven't played it in forever.

I've actually spent more time on my PS3 and Wii in the past month, but I still voted PC. For a truly competitive, tactical, team-based FPS multiplayer experience there is no substitute for PC. Controls, server and admin options, and customizability are all far superior, no debate. It will still vary from server to server though. I play TF2 on a server called Texas Teamplayers that has the most well-oiled pub teams I've ever seen. Everybody communicates and works toward the objective as a team... playing TF2 with a bunch of rambos on a console "server" (no such thing) is literally a different (far inferior) game.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Nice I really did not expect that much of a response. I'm for PC because you can customize games if you know how.
For those who have cod4 on pc I have a dedicated server named 'More boobs less noobs' 24.155.7.13:28930 To further the discussion does anyone have MS Flight Sim X? I think I toasted mine by installing the service pack over top of some 3rd party modules... now it crashes if I go to a menu.
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

Well then you're not running on a MAC!!!!

it still uses Intel hardware these days, just like a PC, now you're booting into a Windows based or type OS...tell me again how this is a MAC????
:D:D:D

Personally...not enough games offered in Mac OS for me to go there, my old fucking hands just do not conform to console controllers...so I've always been a PC gamer. Flight Sim and FPS for the most part.
:)

Do they have a flight sim yet were you can be a jump pilot?? Could have it rated M, and have girls flash for more altitude ;)

They do have a Caravan (and I think an Otter) in one of the MS;FS iterations... I don't remember which one it is that I have, though.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706