chuckakers

Example of USPA's problems

Have you emailed your questions to any of the candidates? I've found a few will reply to email that will not post. Also the final list of all the candidates is not official yet since the Regional Directors still need to have their signature verified.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Ever hear of something called "Lost Prairie"? I'll bet at least a few of the candidates were there and unable to access...not an excuse, just an observation.

As far as I know I was the only candidate there (oops, sorry, Chris Q was there, too), and yeah, that's part of the reason I haven't answered the question... the other reason is that it's an expansive question (unlike most of the others that have been asked which have addressed more specific issues), and not an easy one to quickly answer, so instead, I've chosen to not answer at all yet. That's my reason ... can't speak for the rest of the folks.

Ever hear of something called "Lost Prairie"? I'll bet at least a few of the candidates were there and unable to access...not an excuse, just an observation.

As far as I know I was the only candidate there (oops, sorry, Chris Q was there, too), and yeah, that's part of the reason I haven't answered the question... the other reason is that it's an expansive question (unlike most of the others that have been asked which have addressed more specific issues), and not an easy one to quickly answer, so instead, I've chosen to not answer at all yet. That's my reason ... can't speak for the rest of the folks.

Actually, I wrote the questions in the way I did specifically to solicit insightful answers from candidates rather than to get answers to a specific question. I would really like to hear where the candidates stand on the issues they feel are most important to the sport and the organization.

Only by understanding what's important to the candidates and why can I decide if a candidate is for me. It's called a platform, and I'd like to know more about the platforms of the people who want to lead my (horribly mis-managed) organization.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I have no problem with the question and plan to answer when I get some time to write out a full answer ... I just don't think it's a slam dunk to answer and you happen to have asked it during a particularly busy time for me, including 5 days "off the grid" at Lost Prairie. That's my excuse - like I said, I have no idea why no one else has touched it.

Of course, I have a blog that's laid out clearly what one could call a platform already, and I plan to add quite a bit between now and the election. I have answered (I believe) every question asked to the candidates in the forum. I'd venture to guess that of the candidates out there, my stand on issues is probably the easiest to find so far in this election cycle. It's the 13 who aren't DZ.com users, and the additional DZ.com users who have yet to post anywhere in the elections forum who may remain more of a mystery.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

To all candidates for Regional and National Director:

Please tell us what you see as the top three issues facing USPA and our sport. Tell us your position on these issues and what - if anything - you intend to do about them. Finally, defend your position on how your plans for these issues will better the organization and the sport.

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chuck Akers
D-10855

Hmmmm.... you pose great questions....Could I politely ask... if you were up election, what would you answer... which would be your top three issues? What do you intend to do about them? And finallly, can you defend your meaningless post?

If I were up for the board, I would rise upon the shoulders of those before me and fully plagiarize the words of a great speech. For example: (with a little poetic license)

Director of the USPA, Mr. S&TA, Mr. FAA Inspector, Pilots in Command, FAA Instructors, AFF Students, reverend clergy, fellow citizens, we observe today not a landing of yet another sunset load, but a celebration of freedom - symbolizing an end to a successful skydiving day, as well as a beginning - signifying renewal, as well as change to be perceived tomorrow from the experiences we've learned today. For I have flown before you and Almighty God with the same solemn grace Lew Sanborn executed in a batton pass nearly a fifty years ago.

Drop zones are very different now. For skydivers hold in their mortal hands the power to abolish all forms of canopy collisions and all forms skydiving accidents. And yet the same revolutionary beliefs for which our skydiving instructors fought for, are still at issue around the USPA- the belief that the rights of individual skydiver do not overcome the rights of the community. The belief that at at the end of a skydiving day, beer light is preferable over a funeral procession.

We dare not forget today that we are the heirs of that first revolution. Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of skydivers- born in this century, tempered by training, disciplined by a hard and bitter rememberance of lifes lost, proud of our heritage - and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of the safety regulations to which this Board has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at our home DZ and around the world.

Let every DZO know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of the skydiving participants.

This much we pledge - and more.

To those old skydivers whose cultural and spiritual origins we share, we pledge the loyalty of faithful friends. United, there is little we cannot do in a host of cooperative ventures. Divided, there is little we can do - for we dare not meet a powerful challenge at odds and split asunder.

To those new Swoopers whom we welcome to the ranks of the sport, we pledge our word that one disciplline of landing behavior shall not have passed away merely to be replaced by a far reckless approach to our community. We shall not always expect to find them supporting our view. But we shall always hope to find them strongly supporting their own life- and to remember that, in the past, those who foolishly sought swooping by riding the edge of the envelope ended up inside.

To those peoples in the tents and campers across the drop zones struggling to break the bonds of mass misery, we pledge our best efforts to help them help themselves, for whatever period is required - not because the Swoopers may be doing it, not because we seek their votes, but because it is right. If a free society cannot help the many who are safe, it cannot save the few who are cool.

To our sister sports, we offer a special pledge - to convert our good words into good deeds - in a new alliance for progress - to assist base jumpers and free flyers in casting off the chains of recklesness. But this peaceful revolution of hope cannot become the prey of hostile powers. Let all our neighbours know that we shall join with them to oppose crosswind landings or downwind landings anywhere in the World. And let every other power know that the USPA intends to remain the master of its own house.

To that world assembly of sovereign DZ=s, the USPA, our last best hope in an age where the high performance canopies have far outpaced the the style & accuracy canopies, we renew our pledge of support - to prevent it from becoming merely a forum for human divots- to strengthen its shield of the new students- and to enlarge the area in which our landings may run.

Finally, to those skydivers who would make themselves our adversary, we offer not a pledge but a request: that both sides begin anew the quest for peace, before the dark powers of canopy collisions engulf all skydivers in planned or accidental self-destruction.

We dare not tempt them with weakness. For only when our arms are sufficient beyond doubt can we be certain beyond doubt that they will never be employed.

But neither can two great and powerful groups of skydivers take comfort from our present course - both sides overburdened by the cost of lift tickets, both rightly alarmed by the steady spread of the deadly landings, yet both racing to alter that uncertain balance of safety that stays the hand of our sport's regulatory demise.

So let us begin anew - remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never cut-away out of fear. But let us never fear to cut-away.

Let both sides explore what problems unite us instead of belabouring those problems which divide us.

Let both sides, for the first time, formulate serious and precise proposals for the orderly arrangement of landings- and bring the absolute power to ground other skydivers under the absolute control of all fellow skydivers.

Let both sides seek to invoke the wonders of science instead of the recklessness of coolness. Together let us explore the stars, conquer the deserts, eradicate malfunctions, swoop the oceans , and encourage new skydivers to be our friends.

Let both sides unite to heed in all corners of the earth the command of manufacturers- to "undo the heavy loaded canopies-. and to let the lightly loaded canopies land freely."

And if a skydivers's beachhead of cooperation may push back the jungle of FAA suspicion, let both sides join in creating a new endeavour, not just a new aircraft exit order, but a profound senses of safety, where the experienced & skilled are fair to newbies and upcoming, preserving dropzone peace and the future enjoyment of the sport by out brethen.

All this will not be finished in the next 100 landings. Nor will it be finished in your next 1,000 skydives, nor in the life of this USPA Board, nor even perhaps in our lifetime on this planet. But let us begin.

In your hands, my fellow skydivers, more than in mine, will rest the final success or failure of our course. Since this sport was founded, each generation of skydivers has been summoned to give testimony to its excitement and safety. The graves of young and old skydivers who answered the call to freedome surround the globe.

Now the trumpet summons us again - not as a call to bear argue, though argument is needed; not as a call to stop jumpint, though we are grounding ourselves- but a call to bear the burden of a long safety improvement lifestyle, year in and year out, "rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation" - a struggle against the common enemies of skydiving: complacency, recklesness and lack of respect for our fellow skydiver's well-being.

Can we forge against these enemies a grand and global alliance, North and South, East and West, that can assure a more fruitful life for all skydivers? Will you join in that historic effort?

In the short history of skydiving , only a few USPA board members have been called upon to defend our freedom to exercise maximum danger. I do not shank from this responsibility - I welcome it. I do not believe that any of us would exchange places with any other people or any other generation. The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavour will light our sport and all who practice it -- and the glow from that fire can truly light the world.

And so, my fellow skydivers: ask not what your sport can do for you - ask what you can do for your sport.

My fellow non-skydivers of the world: ask not what skydivers will do for you, but what together we can can enjoy from the freedom of a common Sky.

Finally, whether you are skydivers or non-skydivers of the world, ask of us the same high standards of strength and sacrifice which we ask of you. With a good conscience our only sure reward, with history the final judge of our deeds, let us go forth to lead and land with love, asking four your blessings and and giving our blessings with love..

Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

To all candidates for Regional and National Director:

Please tell us what you see as the top three issues facing USPA and our sport. Tell us your position on these issues and what - if anything - you intend to do about them. Finally, defend your position on how your plans for these issues will better the organization and the sport.

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chuck Akers
D-10855

Hmmmm.... you pose great questions....Could I politely ask... if you were up election, what would you answer... which would be your top three issues? What do you intend to do about them? And finallly, can you defend your meaningless post?......

Pointless and antagonistic. What's that about?

Antagonistic is healthy.... go on ... if you were in charge... what would you do ?

Don't know who you are. Don't really care. If you want to start a thread called "if you were in charge... what would you do?", maybe I'll reply along with everyone else who cares to. That's not the point of this thread.

D.B. Cooper you ain't.;)

Brother!

Thanks.... No, I am not running for the Board...

Just asking to be safer across the informal board.

Life is GOOD... lets be GOOD to each other

Thanks

Chuck, I did see your post, and have been putting some thought into how to best answer it. It's not an easy question at all, so I want to present my thoughts in a constructive manner. I have also been jumping hard this week (55 in the last 4 days) and worked on my blog for election as well.

My apologies for not at least writing a quick note saying this before.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Chuck, I did see your post, and have been putting some thought into how to best answer it. It's not an easy question at all, so I want to present my thoughts in a constructive manner. I have also been jumping hard this week (55 in the last 4 days) and worked on my blog for election as well.

My apologies for not at least writing a quick note saying this before.

Thanks - I look forward to hearing your thoughts, as well as the thoughts of the other candidates! The fact that you replied has you near the front of the pack already.;)
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

July 29th I posted this on the USPA elections forum

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3282073;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;

Not a single candidate has replied after a full week.

And they want us to take them seriously.[:/]

How is this an example of something that's wrong with the USPA? Anyone I would vote for should be intelligent enough to know that the internet is a difficult place to discuss anything seriously. People are typically more interested in shredding someone else over exceptions to the rule and put more effort into their online persona than intelligent research and discussion.

I would rather see canditates visiting dropzones and finding out what's going on in the trenches than spending their time talking to internet people.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

The USPA's problem is communication.

The more we communicate the more of a problem it is for the USPA.

Other than that, I would say the Group Memberships are a problem.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

USPA is just a convenient label for skydivers... real changes happen on the one-on-one level ....

However, USPA has done an excellent job at keeping the sport unregulated .... thus allowing us to kill ourselves without Federal supervision... and I DONT WANT THE FEDS telling me what my death options are !

Good point... I am sure the Feds would love to have an application to die... (how come I didn't think of that) ....

Now, the whole thing about triplicate (you mean carbon copies?) threw me off.... what's wrong with a webpage?