KindredSpirit

Triathalon pack volume

Each canopy may vary by plus or minus 10% from the "average". This is minor differences in materials and construction. Also, the volumes in the chart come from a variety of sources. Pack volume measured will vary by the person doing the measurement, the equipment used (there are several variations), the method used, the individual canopy (as stated above), the relative humidity, and who knows what other variables.

IN GENERAL, a triathlon 160 will be smaller than a 170, given the same construction and line type. Containers can vary in the same manner but are harder to measure. So, if you have a "small" container and a "large" canopy, even though the manufacturer's info indicate they should fit, they may not.

Given all that I expect that the triathlon 160 will fit fine, although I don't have experience with this particular combination of rig and canopy.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Read the fine print at the bottom of the page. Paragear gets its numbers from quite a few sources. The data for the 160 comes from the PIA, the data for the 175 came from somewhere else. Basically these were measured by different people, no doubt using different methodologies. To get an idea of the relative pack volumes, you want to use numbers that were measured the same way. Aerodyne themselves provide the following:

Tri 175: 405 cu. in.
Tri 160: 390 cu. in.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Can someone explain why a Tri 175 packs smaller than a Tri 160? (382 cu.in. compared to 419 cu.in.)

I think it has something to do with the South African ZP that Aerodyne uses. Being from below the equator it has an inverse size to volume ratio. A tri 79 needs a container the size of a station wagon if you jump it in Canada.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

I have a Tri 190 (only have three jumps on it, though- but I do like the way it flies) and think that going to a 170 after sufficent experience and about 100 or more jumps, is a good progression.

Should I be looking at a new container? The container I do have packs very tightly. I am wondering of shortening the closing loop would be necessary for fit. I do plan on discussing this with a rigger when the time is right, but this thread got me thinking - merely food for thought......

Thanks....

About a decade ago, Gelvenor Textiles had some big problems with "mystery bulk." Some batches of South African ZP fabric were 30% bulkier than American or European ZP fabric.

My Tri from about a decade old actually WAS 30% or so bigger than a new same-sized Tri >:(
That Tri 135 was as wide as a Stiletto 150 and was ~1 1/2 cell wider than a new Tri 135 :S

It didn't fit in my rig. Flew fine though.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I have a similar question, so I will just attach to this thread...

Will a 190 Triathlon fit in a Javelin J3? It has a pack volume of 420cu. A 168 Pilot has a 416cu pack volume, and a 169 Safire comes in at 452cu, according to the manuf. websites. I can't find any pack volumes for Sabres. The only recommendation on Sunpath's site says 170zp max.

Would it work if the reserve was a Raven I (180 sqft)?

Thanks,

Seth

Looking at the numbers, are icarus and aerodyne measuring the same? A 188 Pilot, 440cu, is less than a 169 Safire? Can I fit a 188 Pilot in a J3???