guppie01

Portable GPS recommendation

Hi all... did a search and the last similar thread was back from 2004. So I'm starting an updated one.

I have been wanting a portable GPS for some time now. I want one that will offer voice commands and does not require downloading maps when going from State to State.

I will be traveling to Baltimore on business this month and our company travel policy will no longer pay for GPS in the rental car - so I'd like to get one of my own prior to the trip.

Please, please I'd like personal feedback on units that people have actually used and what the like/dislike about them.

(I'm currently looking at the TomTom One XL )

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

I have been wanting a portable GPS for some time now. I want one that will offer voice commands

I am just kidding here, but I wonder what would the GPS unit do if you yelled "FUCK ME!" in frustration to some traffic snafu? :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have been wanting a portable GPS for some time now. I want one that will offer voice commands

I am just kidding here, but I wonder what would the GPS unit do if you yelled "FUCK ME!" in frustration to some traffic snafu? :D

So, I bought a GPS.

It knows where I am and if I tell it where I want to go, it will prompt me with several choices;

Shortest Time
Shortest Distance
Avoid Freeways

I think there ought to be Cop Free Roads!

GPS units are now smart enough, they should probably be able to give you not just traffic re-routing, but some sort of life counseling. While on your way to work it might say, "at the next legal opportunity, make a u-turn and polish your resume."
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

All of them have turn-by-turn voice commands, but not all have street name announcements, if that's what you mean - "Turn left in 50 feet" vs. "Turn left on Wide Street". To me, it's a wash - the ones that don't say the street name still display it on screen. If you mean speech recognition navigation "Go to 123 Elm Street", then you're looking at big money.

I'm a fan of the Garmin vehicle GPS - I have a Street Pilot C330. It's pretty good on routing (the maps that Garmin uses tend to be a little more up to date and accurate than TomTom's maps, at least for the USA - TomTom seems to be more accurate in Europe), but there have been a few times where it didn't recognize that I had gone from the freeway to the frontage road or vice versa (usually in construction zones).

Looking at the Garmin site.. the mininum model that speaks street names is the Nuvi 760 ($650 retail) - the minimum model that does voice command navigation is the nuvi 850 ($850 retail). Both models have auto-sort of multiple destinations (most efficient routing) as well as route avoidance options and FM traffic capabilitiy.

Some good info here: www.gpsreview.net
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

So, I bought a GPS.

It knows where I am and if I tell it where I want to go, it will prompt me with several choices;

Shortest Time
Shortest Distance
Avoid Freeways

I think there ought to be Cop Free Roads!

If there's one that can tell me where the damn cops are, I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

... the mininum model that speaks street names is the Nuvi 760 ($650 retail) ...

My Nuvi 660 speaks street names. I think that feature is called "Text to Speech".

They don't have that one listed on the Garmin site anymore...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I have a TomTom 1 3rd Edition, and love it. Same maps as the more expensive units, upgrades available, etc. but does not have the bells and whistles of the more expensive units (bluetooth for cell phone etc.) It is easy to use, easy to read, and hasn't steered me wrong yet. One thing to remember is that they may not always calculate the fastest route, but they will get you there! I got mine on eBay for $150 new in box.

The only issue is the battery only lasts maybe two hours, so make sure you have your power cord in the car!

Shawn

Yeah, that's just a tad bit out of my price range lol

We have 2 handheld GPS units right now. One we use for both road and marine, but I don't find it very user friendly. The screen is small, it only beeps for the commands, and we have to load the maps for whichever state we are traveling in. Using it in the boat is great, especially for lat/lon in case of emergencies.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
OMG, is she okay?

Do you have any problems with the power cord breaking???

I have a friend who has the TomTom One XL and he is on his 3rd power cord since December.

g
OMG, is she okay?

I was just asking Divot the other day the same question! He does so much driving I figured he must know. Asking around he came up with Garmin Nuvi - so that is what I have been researching for awhile.

Muff Brother # 3883, SCR # 14796 ICD # 1 - Pres.
Yeah, I noticed and I think it's funny!

Garmin Nuvi 350. It's about $200 on amazon.com, and will do everything you want. It even has text to speech software and will read you the name of the street to turn on. Comes with the entire US map pre-loaded, including phone book and massive database of where everything's at. Mine found the Lang Brewery last week with no problem at all!

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-3-5-Inch-Portable-Navigator-Speech/dp/B000BKJZ9Q

Edited to add: There's tons of options on the Garmin, too! You can tell it to take you the fastest route, the most direct route, to avoid highways, toll roads, etc... it rocks.

I've got a Tom Tom 1, 3rd edition too. I've had it since last December and I love it. Me and Mandy, that's the onboard voice I use, get around Los Angeles just fine. She doesn't say the street names, but they are on the display itself, and I've never missed that feature.

And you can download third party celebrity voices like Joe Pesci, "Da fuck you going? Jesus fucking christ I told you to turn left you dumb fucking bastard" It's a riot . . . but I always go back to Mandy.

The one thing to be careful of with these GPS units, if you're not used to them, is you tend to just half listen and half drive. I rolled right through a couple red lights after Mandy said to, "Turn here now!."

NickD :)

On a more serious note.

Depending on where you live, if traffic is a daily issue, see if the unit you're interested in has TRAFFIC REROUTING. Yes, it will be a subscription service. Yes it will cost extra. YES IT'S WORTH IT.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

On a more serious note.

Depending on where you live, if traffic is a daily issue, see if the unit you're interested in has TRAFFIC REROUTING. Yes, it will be a subscription service. Yes it will cost extra. YES IT'S WORTH IT.

My Garmin doesn't have that, but it does have a "detour" button. If you hit traffic, you just hit that, and it routes you around the jam, or you tell it to avoid highways altogether.

I probably wont need the traffic re-routing feature too much right now.... I live and work in simple towns. However I'll most likely be getting back into sales within the next 6 months and may need it more for the LA traffic - ICK! oi

g
OMG, is she okay?

Garmin Nuvi 350. It's about $200 on amazon.com

WOW, Best Buy is quoting $399 - that's quite a difference.

Mine found the Lang Brewery last week with no problem at all!

That's impressive!!!! B|

g
OMG, is she okay?

The Garmins are really cool, and user friendly, too. Even my dad can manage it, and he is, to put it kindly, not technologically inclined.

I will second that. I got a Nuvi 650 for me and my mom. Got it for $300 from Costco at the time! She has had no problem figuring out how to use it and I use it all the time. Definitely recommend the Nuvi.