birdlike

Favorite fish for frying?

New stuides indicate that Tilapia is bad for your heart. One story I read compared it to eating a doughnut.

Of course, if you're frying it, I'll guess you're not too worried about the health risks anyway. :ph34r:

I thought I saw something about it not having as much of the Omega 3 fatty acids or something, but "as bad as eating a doughnut"? Come onnnn!

Besides, yes, I'm frying it, but in vegetable oil, not lard or shortening or something! Vegetable oil's got no cholesterol, and not all that much saturated fat (although it does have some). The only thing to worry about's calories, right? It's 120 calories per Tbsp. I have no idea how many tablespoons of the oil end up ingested. I mean, I'm frying in it, but I'm not ladling the oil onto the fish in a bowl like stew!...

Plus, I don't eat that much fish all that often, only when the mood strikes me.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

New stuides indicate that Tilapia is bad for your heart. One story I read compared it to eating a doughnut.

Of course, if you're frying it, I'll guess you're not too worried about the health risks anyway. :ph34r:

The wildly popular farm-raised fish known as tilapia may actually harm your heart, thanks to low levels of healthy omega-3 fatty acids and high levels of unhealthy omega-6 fatty acids.

New research suggests the combination could be particularly bad for patients with heart disease, arthritis, asthma and other diseases involving overactive inflammatory responses.

"If you're in a vulnerable population such as a heart disease patient, you need to be very careful with what you're eating, and that includes everything," said senior study author Dr. Floyd H. Chilton, director of Wake Forest Center for Botanical Lipids, in Winston-Salem, N.C. "But when it comes to fish, there's not a more important thing you can do for heart disease than eat the right type of fish or take dietary fish oil. There is evidence that you may harm yourself by eating the wrong kind of fish, and [farmed] tilapia and catfish are the two that fall into that category."

:o:o:o
It's pretty pathetic when you have to TELL people you're fucking cool Skymama «narrative»This thread will lock in 3..2.. What a load of narrow-minded Xenophobic Bullshit!-squeak

favorite to fry speclked trout

fried tilapia:SB| tilapia in general is a trash fish better off eating your shoe soles

flounder - only way to roll is deboned and stuffed. fries well if youre into that

mahi mahi (bull dolphin) - frying this fish meat is nothing short of a criminal act. pan seared or grilled only.

grouper - same as mahi, what are you a criminal ?? has been fried before though and gotten away with. depends on which grouper.

catshit (catfish) - if you like shit then, fried shit tastes great:)
cod - ground very fine mixed with cornmeal then fried. you might get away with that

other (for frying) -

saltwater species - sheepshead, black (puppy) drum under 25in, redfish (red drum) under 25in, any and all snapper except b-liners those should be grilled. trouts (white or speckled)

freshwater species - bream (get plenty theyre small), bass small or largemouth, **garfish (if you stay in the ghetto) you can grind up real fine and mix with potato and flour and fry garballs

if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

the black seabass with the solid white meat ???

never had a fresh one. always get those from chile and the NW u.s. gutted/headless/tailless and frozen solid. haven't attempted to fry one of those yet, but that is an awesome slab of fish.

color taste and texture similar to an escolar.
Perry Farrell

Ling cod. It's SOOO much better than grey/true/pacific cod.

Oh, yes. Mmmmmmmm. I haven't had fresh ling cod in so long. Living in the Boise area pretty much makes fresh fish like that a thing of the past.

I used to be a commercial fisherman and got spoiled eating quality seafood within an hour of killing it. I now live in the land of sand & sagebrush (Tri-Cities, WA), so while I can get "fresh" fish, it's not really any comparison [:/]. I usually stick with beef here. ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

the taste is pretty similar. the chilean ones are a bit bigger and get real soupy in the pan if you dont have the pan almost orange from the heat:D

they(chileans) probably jack em up with something to retain water.

when i get them here in new orleans they look like a caveman club.

NW ones average about 28-35lbs hdls/gutted/tailless

chileans about 42-55 lbs

with an occassinal beast from time to time.

must be a nice fish to fight sizewise they must be strong as hell.

do they fight very long??? and does the meat get mushy if they do??

the ones i get are all longlined and spinal tapped.

Perry Farrell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Ling cod. It's SOOO much better than grey/true/pacific cod.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, yes. Mmmmmmmm. I haven't had fresh ling cod in so long. Living in the Boise area pretty much makes fresh fish like that a thing of the past.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I used to be a commercial fisherman and got spoiled eating quality seafood within an hour of killing it. I now live in the land of sand & sagebrush (Tri-Cities, WA), so while I can get "fresh" fish, it's not really any comparison . I usually stick with beef here.

Me, too. About the only time I get fresh ocean fish is when I visit friends on the coast who know fishermen. That really doesn't happen often enough.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

i've never seen or heard of seabass close to the size your talking about. a 10 pounder is a nice fish. what we call a fish and what a fish is called in the market or on a menu might not be the same thing, or you could be getting a farm fish. they fight ok, but nothing like their freshwater smallmouth cousins.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

halibut would be first on the list with seabass coming in second.

Halibut is second on my list to ling cod, in part because it just shouldn't be fried. If by seabass, you're referring to the chilean variety (patagonian toothfish)...frying it would be a crime. Baked/grilled & topped with fruit/nuts is the way to go on that one. If by seabass you're referring to a standard rockfish, it's I wouldn't protest frying it, but have better ideas for it. ;)

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

theyre not pond raised, theyre longlined.

theyre deep water fish, they got big huge eyes on em.

I'll get a picture of one. from the fisherman.

only thing we have down here in the gulf comparable is escolar, but escolars are way bigger up to 400lb-500lb
Perry Farrell

I see the ones you're talking about now. those are more or less small groupers. kinda like a strawberry grouper/rock hind down here.

10lb is a whopper of a fish for those. they ones im talking about are probably what you would call a white seabass but the skin is still jet black on them. thats where i may have been confused calling them black.
Perry Farrell

i probably have some ling cod in the freezer. we caught one while halibut fishing, but i was tired when we came in and wrapped everything and labelled it all halibut. i just hope it doesn't pop up on the rare occasion i make fish n chips. lately i've been grilling all of my fish. tonight we had grilled blackened halibut, light on the blackened seasoning though, halibut is good all on it's own. it's not really fish, but tomorrow we're having fried razor clams, some whole, some in the form of fritters.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com