girlyjumper

Rigging Service Prices

Most Canadian riggers charge $45 to 65 for a reserve repack. They don't care if it contains an AAD.
However, if they have to touch the AAD (install, remove, replace batteries, etc.) they usually charge $10 more.
Some replace closing loops for free, while others charge $2 or 3 for a fresh Cypres loop.
Hint, Cypres closing loops only last 2 or 3 pack jobs in the best of rigs.

You may want to start on the low end of the price scale since you are first starting out, then as you get a customer base, learn more and add more services raise your prices to the mid level. Once you get your master ticket rating and can do almost any repair needed move on to the high end.
Fly it like you stole it!

Since I don't have to make my living rigging, I keep my prices a little lower.

$40 for inspection and repack, cypres or not, includes new cypres loop
Batteries $75, no charge for installation.

I do a lot of rounds for pilots. They're $40 also except for Preserve V's. They're $60 because of the complexity.

No charge for intalling, removing, reinstalling, etc AAD. I don't want the cost to inhibit someone from owning or jumping with one.

$10 gets a lot of minor repairs. Replace bridle velcro, retacking, etc.

Probably will go to $45 next year.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

You may want to start on the low end of the price scale since you are first starting out,

That makes sense, but I've seen riggers pretty much do the opposite. They don't want to "steal" business from the more experienced riggers, so they try not to undercut them. Doesn't make much sense that a new rigger would charge the same or more as a much more experienced rigger, but it can help them from pissing off the competition by taking pricing out of the equation.

Dave

I charge $50 for a Reserve I&R. Included in that, for no additional "labor" charge, I'll do additional things like install a new cypress loop, R&R batteries (customer pays for the new battereies) or send a cypress off for a 4 or 8 year check (customer pays for shipping and the cost of the check-up). Some riggers / lofts will do what I think is "nickel and dime" their customers on such things... e.g. an extra charge $$$ for a new loop, battery installation fee on top of the price of the new batts... etc. The house riggers at my local DZ also charge $50 for an I&R and I don't want to under cut them in their own house. Also, being an "independant rigger", I don't go out of my way to drum up business for myself while at the DZ, if someone asks me for a repack, I'll do it, but again, I don't want to be preceived as taking business away from the in house riggers at the DZ.

If you want to match the prices of riggers in your area, great.
However I want to caution you about trying to do favors for skydivers because they will not appreciate it.
For example, picking up and delivering rigs to customers' homes will tire quickly, especially when you drive for half an hour and no one is home.
Similarly, don't offer to stay home late on a Friday night or Saturday morning to allow a customer to pick up his rig. They consider their time far more valuable than yours and will abuse that privilege.

Furthermore, all transactions should be "cash on the barrel head." Also ask them to front the money for expensive service like Cypres 4-year checks.
Far better to meet them in the DZ parking lot and do business out of your car trunk. If they want service any fancier than that, charge extra for your time.

If you want to match the prices of riggers in your area, great.
However I want to caution you about trying to do favors for skydivers because they will not appreciate it.
For example, picking up and delivering rigs to customers' homes will tire quickly, especially when you drive for half an hour and no one is home.
Similarly, don't offer to stay home late on a Friday night or Saturday morning to allow a customer to pick up his rig. They consider their time far more valuable than yours and will abuse that privilege.

Furthermore, all transactions should be "cash on the barrel head." Also ask them to front the money for expensive service like Cypres 4-year checks.
Far better to meet them in the DZ parking lot and do business out of your car trunk. If they want service any fancier than that, charge extra for your time.

Do we work at the same DZ???:D I was starting to get a complex! I thought, I was the only one putting-up with crap like that! I have never gone so far as to delivering finished work to the customer's home. As far as 'abusing' yours or my time... I get it quite often and it's always the same ones. Customers waiting till about 7:00 P.M. on a Friday night and wanting an I&R on their rig. Then, telling me, they will pick it up about 10:00A.M, the next morning... and not show! Yeah, I've gotten that! Leaving their rig with me for months on end! When they finally contact me, wanting to get their rig, show total bewilderment that their rig is once again... out of date! The one's I love, are the folks that just want an I&R! I find a 'problem' that really, seriously needs attention. I try to contact them. No dice! Time is running out. I make the call, do the work and give them their bill when they pick it up. The customer say's a polite 'thank you' to me and pays. I hear later, what a son of a bitch I am for charging so much and all they wanted was a re-pack! Do the words 'inspection' and 'airworthiness' ring a bell?
Everything you have mentioned and more, I've experienced. You just, cannot, be nice to to 'some' people. They'll abuse the living crap out of you! I must clarify though, I'm referring to a small number of folks I've dealt with. They, are the ones who stick in my memory. In general, Folks have been pretty decent with me.
I'm done ranting. Thanks.

Chuck

I'm done ranting. Thanks.

Chuck,

Great rant. B| I think that every rigger that reads it will appreciate what you are saying. Like you said they are few and far between, but they sure can piss you off.

Sparky

You got that right! There've been one or two, over the years, I'd liked to have strangled!:D
Sparky, you, have a Merry Christmas and all the best in the coming year!

Chuck