skydiver8282

Triple wrap rubber bands

The major issue that I couild and/ or would see is that this may cause a bag lock if they are not able to come out easy. The best advice that I could say to start is try it then unstow the lines by pulling them off like in a actual skydive. If the stows come out easy with about 14 lbs of tension you should be ok but if they off harder and/ or twist you can and probly will run into problems if not ow some day.

Why not try knoting the actual retainer band to the correct bite size that you need and then just single stow them. I would not recommend triple wrapping loacking stows and would keep a look out for what we call line dump where stows come out before the next stow, this is just a problem waiting to happen.

Hope this assist you and be safe. Always check with a rigger/ instrutor if you are not sure.....;)
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

The reason we use rubber bands is so if they somehow hang-up they will break. When you triple stow you are essentially tripling the resistance to breaking. Get the proper size stow bands . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

I disagree, even if triple stowed, there is still only one 'path' for the band back to where it is attached to the d-bag, so there should be no change to the maximum breaking strength.

Rubber stow bands should not be relied upon to break:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1938376#1938376

To skydiver8282, try making another larkshead on the d-bag with the long bands to effectively make them shorter.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

"All I have available..."
No offense, but it's hard for me to understand this...I've yet to visit a DZ where rubber bands were nor readily available - either for free or for purchase.

Get the correct size, please. IMO, foolin' around with "jury-rig fixes" could only lead to more problems somewhere along the way.:|

On the other hand, myabe I'm just an anal bitch..:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

All I have ever jumped is micro lined canopies. I use large rubber bands and double stow them all. I have never had a problem.

I also must have about 5-6000 pack jobs for other people and do the same. Again no problems.

Scott Miller got me on the double stow train a few years ago. Said he had never seen a problem from regular rubberbands being to tight on microline. But he had seen a lot of problems from sloppy or loose stows.

Whatever you do, be concsistant.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

All I have ever jumped is micro lined canopies. I use large rubber bands and double stow them all. I have never had a problem.

I also must have about 5-6000 pack jobs for other people and do the same. Again no problems.

Scott Miller got me on the double stow train a few years ago. Said he had never seen a problem from regular rubberbands being to tight on microline. But he had seen a lot of problems from sloppy or loose stows.

Whatever you do, be concistant.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sounds like you are erring on the side of caution.
We know that loose rubber bands often dump lines.
And we know that line dump often breaks necks, dislocates shoulders and a whole bunch of other ways to meet nurses.
On the other hand, tight rubber bands "might" cause bag lock, but bag lock is a rare malfunction these days.
Frankly, more bag locks are caused by sloppy line stows than rubber bands.