SpeedRacer

New York city travel advice?

Hi, I'm planning a trip to NYC in October. Any advice about where to stay, or where to find not-too-expensive hotel rooms?

any other travel advice would be cool too. Cool art galleries, pubs, museums, restaurants.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

pub, http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/home.html oldest in NYC a must visit if a pub is on your list.

bar with good food, Bar6 on 6th ave between 12th and 13th has good food and drink African/Moroccan, French foods. here is one review http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/bar-6/

museums, cant beat the Met. MOMA, and museum of natural history.

places to stay.......dont know i just take the train up. sorry!

just my 2 cents...

BUNGE

I don't hate them, I just like us better.

The Fatty Crab - Malaysian-ish food (Pork and watermelon rind salad is great)

The Spotted Pig - Different sort of I dont know what to call it food (known for hamburgers, but they have an eclectic menu)

Tomoe - Sushi (south of the corner of Bleeker and Thompson) Fantastic...go every time I'm there.

Hi, I'm planning a trip to NYC in October. Any advice about where to stay, or where to find not-too-expensive hotel rooms?

any other travel advice would be cool too. Cool art galleries, pubs, museums, restaurants.

You can find some descent deals on line or rent a room in Hostel for dirt cheap. Asking anyone about NY and what to do is a loaded question. Its an amazing city with everything you could ever need in a four block radius of where ever you are. Subway system is great and easy. I know its already on your list but Ellis Island is a great learning experience. The photos and history there will make you stop and give thanks. Any and every kind of food you can imagine. HHHHMMMMMM, think i'll have Indian tonight. Enjoy
So i just broke up with this woman who wasn't even my girlfriend!

Hellfish #782, POPS #10664

I don't need to go the Hostel route. Just a not-too-ridiculously-pricey hotel would be good.

I've been surfing some of the travel websites about hotels. Problem is: the customer reviews about any given hotel are often all over the map, so I don't know what to expect.:|

Speed Racer

Not sure how big a risk you are willing to take, but I used to have people visit me at the last minute all the time and they could almost always find airfare and hotel for the cost of airfare alone on those last minute deal sites like site59.com. Not sure if Site 59 even exists any longer, but you get the picture.
Killing threads since 2004.

I don't need to go the Hostel route. Just a not-too-ridiculously-pricey hotel would be good.

I've been surfing some of the travel websites about hotels. Problem is: the customer reviews about any given hotel are often all over the map, so I don't know what to expect.:|

I just remembered the last time i was in NY about 2 months ago, i stayed at the ST.James Hotel one block from Times Square an only paid $85 per night. Dont know if it was a special or what , called them direct after looking through NY yellow pages. Not much in the way of ammenities but clean and secure. Great Irish pub next door to. I think it was 42nd street. anyway it was 40 something street for sure.

Try the Sheraton. There are two right across from eachother. Sheraton Manhattan and Sheraton New York Towers on the east side of 7th Ave around 53rd street.

I stayed at the Manhattan a couple of weeks ago at $280 a night.

Meatpackers District is great for night time entertainment. Buddha Bar certainly recommended. For food, I love Tao, but bring your credit cards, two maritnis run around $38. (Oh and make a reservation now if you want to get in)

Price is $489 per night.

Wow.....I stayed there a few weeks ago & it was $189!

You just have to call them. I used to work around the corner and we would people up there once in a while. Booking far in advance you are usually stuck with the higher prices. $180 to $200 is much more common if you are booking pretty close to the date you are staying and there aren't any big events happening.
Killing threads since 2004.

You just have to call them. $180 to $200 is much more common if you are booking pretty close to the date you are staying and there aren't any big events happening.

This is true, comes to think of it....I usually book my room w/in the week that I'm traveling! It's rare that I would know in advance when my next NY trip will be....but I love everything about NY.B|

Thanks for the tip!;)
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

PM Peter (ntrprnr) !! He is great as far as excellent recommendations.

You probably don't want to be staying where I stayed, but I was spoiling my mom... so the price was worth it to me. (and for the record... the W is VERY NICE! B|)

Things to do... DAMN... that's a long list

Central park
Times Square
Broadway show
Statue of Liberty
Guggenheim
Museum of Sex (NO. I did not take my mom there... I went with a friend of mine :D)
Empire State Bldg (don't try to BASE it though :o)
Sing Sing
AND A THOUSAND MORE THINGS!!

Ground Zero is amazing
Rockefeller Center is cool: "Top of The Rock" way worth it, cheaper and less crowded than Empire State.
FAO Schwartz :)

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

OOOOHH, OOOOh, i forgot about Lombardis pizza (if you like pizza) on Spring St, Between Mott and Mulberry. Best frickin pizza in the NY, Yes better than the 2000 freakin Rays Pizza Joints.

Another thing is all the Flea markets that are there, there is a listing of most in the paper. I love 5th avenue and Soho for shopping but you can find some really cool stuff and meet some very unique people, which is always fun.

quite possibly the best food ever created, I make weekly trips to manhattan for it from Long Island (bout 30 min. drive)...It's called "Chicken and Rice" -- it's a cart on 53rd st. and 6th ave., kinda close to times square. it has halal food, and it's open from 7:30pm-5am. it's friggin awesome. you have to get the "combination" and they'll know exactly what you're talking about (chicken and lamb, but even if you don't think you'll like it you have to give it a chance!!). the cart that's there at other times ISN'T them. ACCEPT NO IMITATIONS. guaranteed there will be a line of at least 15 or so people. none of the other carts will have that. they also wear yellow shirts.

pm me if you want me to get you there one night -- I'm always down for some chicken and rice

Wish I could help you with hotel stuff but I never stayed in the city. have fun on your trip!!!!
"I believe the risks I take are justified by the sheer love of the life I lead" - Charles Lindbergh

You just have to call them. $180 to $200 is much more common if you are booking pretty close to the date you are staying and there aren't any big events happening.

This is true, comes to think of it....I usually book my room w/in the week that I'm traveling! It's rare that I would know in advance when my next NY trip will be....but I love everything about NY.B|

Thanks for the tip!;)

Hmmm. Not sure what I should do. I was planning on staying in NYC for a week, so if I wait til the last minute there's a risk that I won't be able to find a place for the whole week.
:|
Speed Racer