iluvtofly

How to handle job situation?

So I'm in a situation that I've never had to deal with before. I'm planning on looking for a new job starting today. I've never left a job just because I didn't like it. I always had a reason such as moving away to college or graduating college and moving away from there. And as much as I love my job, there is no way that I can live off of $8 an hour and do the things I want to do in life. Not to mention that talking to people that have been here since this place opened in 1996 and realizing that there is absolutly no retirement plan, no chance for promotion (all promotions go to family members of the owners), no pay raises except when minimum wage goes up and I will only ever get 1 week of vacation time a year with no sick or personal days.

Here's my dilema. I always feel that honesty is the best policy when it comes to this kind of stuff. But I have seen it first hand that when someone even mentions that they're thinking about looking for a new job they get black listed. They get taken off of the call-in sheet, they get absolutly no over-time and they get the shittiest shifts possible. I'm afraid of putting myself in that position then not getting a job and being stuck being black listed.

I don't like being dishonest with my boss but I feel as if I have no choice. What would you do? [:/][:/]

Dont say a word about you lookin for another job. Until you have another job locked up and have a start date dont say a word. When the time comes for you to put in you 2 weeks notice. just tell them what you told us. No chance for advancement, or pay increase and respectfully say it's time for you to move on. Good luck.
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

There is no reason to tell your employer you are looking for a new job. If you are doing your job well there is also no reason you cannot use them for a reference.
Typically a place will ask if it ok for them to check with your current employer. If that happens, be honest and tell them no for the reasons you sited in this post.
Good luck in your job search.
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

There is no reason to tell your employer you are looking for a new job. If you are doing your job well there is also no reason you cannot use them for a reference.
Typically a place will ask if it ok for them to check with your current employer. If that happens, be honest and tell them no for the reasons you sited in this post.

But if I use them for a reference won't the new job call them up and start asking questions about me as an employee? And wouldn't that kinda clue them in that I'm looking for a new job? That's how I thought it worked. Though I could be wrong. I've had very few jobs (they all lasted several years each) and most of those jobs I got because I already knew the people there.

But if I use them for a reference won't the new job call them up and start asking questions about me as an employee? That's how I thought it worked. Though I could be wrong. I've had very few jobs (they all lasted several years each) and most of those jobs I got because I already knew the people there.

- go for it, I'm in the job search mode after 26 years with the same company
- might call, might not
- if they find out or when you tell them, just give a simple answer, no need for details, "the new job offers more opportunity" or "leaving to pursue new challenges" are perfectly acceptable
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

Be sure to tell the company that you are interviewing with to not contact present employer. They will understand and that is normal. As soon as the company you are leaving learns that you are looking they will plan to replace you. That too is normal. Keep quiet until the new job is secure. Basic job quest 101.
Dano

But if I use them for a reference won't the new job call them up and start asking questions about me as an employee? And wouldn't that kinda clue them in that I'm looking for a new job? That's how I thought it worked. Though I could be wrong. I've had very few jobs (they all lasted several years each) and most of those jobs I got because I already knew the people there.

Just be honest in your interview and tell them you'd prefer it if they not contact your current employer 'cause you're afraid you might be disciminated against.
A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!
D.S # 125

Your employer wouldn't give you notice if he was going to fire you in 2 weeks, so I don't see why you need to tell him you're looking for a job. Find the job, then give your notice.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Or just another idea you could try to unionize the shop and have a contract negotiation for all the employees. Better pay, better benefits, more vacation, and sick time. Also it is illeagle to fire someone just because they want to organize a Union. Now if people want to bitch they will have an official way to complain, and an official person to complain to.

Don't let your boss know you are looking to go elsewhere. You can make better money elsewhere with a more steady schedule. EMS is great, but it also sucks at the same time. It's the best job you'll ever hate, or is it the worst job you'll ever love. A little of both, but I digress.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

You're not being dishonest by not mentioning that you're open to offers from other employers. Don't worry about the reference-most prospective employers won't call your present employer. The fact they you're presently employed by them tells all that they could get anyway.
When I get called for a reference all I'm allowed to say is "Yes this person was employes" I can give the dates, but usually I just say that I don't have time to review the files. I am allowed to answer the question "Is this person eligable for rehire?", but I usually don't
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

can't see how you feel you are being dishonest, your only looking for another Job. Until you get one then whats the problem ? as your still their employee. When you get the other Job hand them written notice and work that notice or whatever is agreed with in your contract. Other than that Just work your notice period, as this allows them to arrange for cover or to fill your old job and means your fellow workers won't be left under pressure to fill in for you.

I can't see where you feel guilty:|

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I think part of the reason I feel guilty is I know how short handed they are already. Also knowing that it takes 3 months to train someone new for a dispatch position. :(

do you have a clone? one that I can underpay, under appreciate, etc., and they will still love me

if the compensation was higher they would not have that problem, but it is their problem not yours

watch out for yourself
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.

I think part of the reason I feel guilty is I know how short handed they are already. Also knowing that it takes 3 months to train someone new for a dispatch position. :(

Yo feel guilty for wanting to find a job that pays more than $8/hour.
and it takes them 3 months to train someone to do the $8/hr job :|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Yo feel guilty for wanting to find a job that pays more than $8/hour.
and it takes them 3 months to train someone to do the $8/hr job :|

The responsibility and knowledge it takes for this job is not reflected in the pay or respect you get from the boss. If it was I don't think I'd have as many problems with the job as I do. :S

Going through the replies you have what most have when it comes to leaving a job that you've been at for some time. You don't want them to have a hard time because you leave and that is understandable. However, how is that your problem? You wouldn't need to leave if you were paid more and treated right. Wouldn't you agree? So something better comes along and you want to better yourself. You need to do what is good for you. You should not feel ashamed of doing it, and they should not have any negative feelings towards you for it.

I would not let them know you are looking, you already gave your reasons as to what you think would happen. Wherever you apply just put that they can not contact your current employer. If they ask why, just say you don't believe it would benefit your situation there. I've done that twice now, and I've not had an employer think bad of me for it yet.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Is the new job going to be in the same line of bussiness (per your profile)? If so I'd imagine its a pretty "small world" as far as employers go. I changed employers and when I gave my notice the boss man already new, but I left on good terms. Im not one to burn bridges if I dont have too.

Good luck
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

iluvtofly,
this is what you do B|
do not tell the current company you are looking for a job, do not use them for reference, and do not agree if possible future employer wants to contact your current employer (that is normal and happens all the time)

interview, find another job, then meet with your boss and ask for xxx% raise, or a counteroffer to what you have lined up. quit if they won't give it to you and start a new job
tadaa B|